Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Past lives opens here this weekend. Have not been this excited about a movie in a really long time.

The freeway scene in Matrix 2 is legit, you gotta admit that much at least.

4 Likes

Eh no just no

Iā€™d say Matrix Revolutions fits for me for stunning drop off.

I was a huge fan of The Thirteenth Floor and thought Revolutions was going in a very different direction. Plus like the rest of the movie.

But come now Reloaded was AMAZING. Scene after scene after scene.

Yup, the freeway scene, but really that whole sequence of intercut set pieces across the world, all culminating in Neo flying into frame just in time to swoop in and give us the best Superman movie weā€™ve had in years years.

https://media.tenor.com/M7XIZBYLcl0AAAAd/matrix-neo.gif

Always remember that Neo slaughtered thousands of people by flying through the city YEARS before Zack Snyder had Superman do it in Man of Steel.

Iā€™d go 1>4>Animatrix>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3

3 Likes

Unfortunately I lack the ability to go into detail on my Matrix 2 hate since I saw it when it was new, declared that movie and any future attempts at adding to the franchise to be permanently dead to me, and then bleached my brain. All I remember now is the club orgy scene.

Unfortunately itā€™s a common problem, being unable to describe why a movie was unwatchable 20 years after watching it and deeming it such. Iā€™m much more easily able to go into chapter and verse on the stuff I really liked. With the stuff I hated, often all Iā€™m left with is the vague recollection of squinting at a screen and going, ā€œDude.ā€ So I have no counterpoint to offer.

The original Matrix was elite-level stuff, of course.

Another trilogy on our list. Ive got a lot of trouble ahead

If you somehow havenā€™t seen the first Matrix yet, thereā€™s probably nothing a person could say from making you want to see the second one at least when there is mixed opinion about whether itā€™s good or bad.

Iā€™m not entirely sure how you landed on this project of committing to entire trilogies in advance though.

Another Rewatchables gaffe annoyance - gophers and groundhogs are different animals!

My favorite memory of that Rewatchables was the guest arguing something like, ā€œRita is not all that. I mean, she toasts to world peace? Give me a break.ā€

I kinda liked Matrix 2 when I first watched it but I think that was mostly because I thought they were going to come up with a clever reason why Neo could kill the machines in the real world. I donā€™t think they ever explained how that was possible.

1 Like

Yeah that killed me. Rita is the embodiment of basic.

My wife got a wild hair and bought this, so my wife son and I have all agreed to watch every movie on it.

GOODS+GADGETS Top 250 Movieā€¦ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1ZNW36?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Most are good to great but there is some real losers on there. Im looking at you, Jurrasic Park III.

And yes Ive seen all the Matrix movies and will gladly watch the first again, but I am not looking forward to the rest of the trilogy

2 Likes

Yes, but this didnā€™t bug me like Temple of Doom, and Jedi did. For Indy and Jedi, I had sky high expectations. One of the first things I said while leaving ā€œThe Matrixā€, after I said, ā€œWhoah.ā€ was, ā€œI hope they donā€™t try to make a sequel to this. It canā€™t be done. Itā€™s great just the way it is.ā€. I had no expectations or hopes going into Matrix 2, and I wasnā€™t surprised at the offering, so wasnā€™t overly disappointed.

2 Likes

Speaking of, we watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail last weekend. There are some great moments but overall, it does not hold up as something I enjoyed the entire time.

I mean thatā€™s one of the things that makes it stand out to me - finishing the first and thinking thatā€™s just perfect, I hope thereā€™s no sequel. It just seemed so so so unnecessary. I mean as Edgar Wright put it in an interview, the first ends with Neo being god and then the second starts by basically saying but wait what if he actually isnā€™t god? Great premise ā€¦

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

I canā€™t blame the Wachowkis for cashing in though. I suppose they earned it with the brilliant first installment, so whatever, go ahead and take the money. Kind of like almost every work of late-stage De Niro where my reaction is, ā€œShrug. Happy for you. Not watching it.ā€

Matrix 2 was good. Not as good as the original, which would have been impossible, but it was still good.

Matrix 3 was a steeper dropoff and not a movie I ever need to watch again unless I want to see an uncomfortable orgy rave. That said, I still appreciated what they were trying to do with it and at least it wrapped some shit up.

1 Like