Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Same. I don’t even really enjoy the Vacation movies, though they’re funny enough to laugh if I’m watching them with people who LOVE them. I thought he was “good” in Community, but only because the scripts were very clear this character AND this actor are an asshole.

The only Chevy Chase movie that sticks with me is the one he made with John Carpenter: Memoirs of an Invisible Man

Based on a book! The author intended to be a full-time writer, but this one novel did so well that they just retired and never wrote again.

The first version of the movie was written by William Goldman, author of the book and movie The Princess Bride, as well as more serious stuff like All the Presidents Men.

Chevy Chase rejected Goldman’s script for being too much like “what if Clark Griswold were turned invisible.” Apparently it was TOO funny, and Chevy said take out all of the jokes or I walk.

So John Carpenter came on and added VERY SERIOUS LOVE INTEREST elements, as well as some genuinely disturbing body horror, but also some moments of stunning beauty.

Sam Neil too!!!

The movie was a critical and commercial dud, but just in context of the actor’s resume, it’s one of the most interesting movies in all of Chevy Chase’s career.

It’s part of a very strange genre of invisible man movies like Ghost Dad.

1 Like

I don’t remember the individual episodes, but just based on a scan of the panels I recommend trying Con Air or Training Day. They’ve got the classic panels that will give you an idea of what’s normally on offer. I don’t even recognize the names of the people who covered Friday.

I haven’t listened to The Rewatchables but I’ve recovered enough from Bill Simmons overexposure and imo he’s still solid when he’s in his wheelhouse so I’ll check it out.

It’s not a competition but that said, if The Rewatchables is funnier than How Did This Get Made I’ll be blown away. The three episodes I listened to of HDTGM were Bloodsport, The Devil’s Advocate, and Deep Blue Sea, and for me all three were awesome comedy, my runs were getting screwed up because I was irl cracking up

HDTGM Devils Advocate is one of my all time favorite podcast episodes.

Im not the biggest Mantzoukas fan but he absolutely slays that episode

Yeah, your experience is going to be way more influenced by the hosts than the movie. Two-person episodes are generally much weaker than three-person (or more). Chris Ryan is an almost mandatory guest. In contrast, Brian Koppelman is absolutely terrible and made Godfather II almost unlistenable.

A few all-timer episodes:

• The Firm
  • The Town
  • Jaws
  • Do the Right Thing (much more serious and less funny than the typical episode, but great)
1 Like

Can’t do Friday with an all white panel. But yeah that one wouldn’t be anything like a normal Rewatchables podcast.

Definitely co-sign The Firm and Jaws as standout eps. Haven’t seen the other two movies so I haven’t heard the casts.

I’ll check that out. I love Devil’s Advocate. The Rewatchables guys diss it so bad when they don’t include it in great Pacino speeches" “Gawwwd is an absentee landlord!”

I love Happy Gilmore!!! It holds up.

My favorite Happy Gilmore memory proved it can make even tough nuts crack up with laughter. The mom of the person I was dating at the time was INCREDIBLY earnest and serious. This mom would not crack a smile. I doubt God could make her laugh.

But we were watching Happy Gilmore, and there’s a moment when Happy and Shooter are going at it.

Shooter: I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast.
Happy: You eat shit for breakfast?

And from the other room, the mom cracked up.

There’s just so many classic gags in it that still hold up. I feel like I’m celebrating Bob Barker when I laugh at Adam Sandler punching him in the face.

How about when Bob Barker returns the favor and then some?

You’ve had enough.

No, NOW you’ve had enough. Bitch.

The other Sandler movies are hit or miss, with one exception.

The one that is TRULY timeless and I think you can always trust to deliver on rewatch: The Wedding Singer

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FondFloweryCony-size_restricted.gif

And for me personally 50 First Dates. The stuff Drew Barrymore makes with her waffles is so damn charming.

3 Likes

I definitely have Happy Gilmore 1, Wedding Singer 2, then everything else far below in the Sandler comedies catalog. I might actually have Mr. Deeds as a distant third, though I tend to forget that one because it seems to have no footprint whatsoever.

Looks HDTGM Devils Advocate this is only available on something called Stitcher Premium? Also you meant Bloodsport not Bloodshot, right? If so that’s also only in the archive.

here I found this archive

1 Like

When Jason left The Ringer, he actually moved to Crooked Media. He does NBA-ish stuff on shows called Takeline and All Caps NBA and more pop culture stuff on a show called X Ray Vision. I don’t like the dynamic quite as much as I liked his work w/ Mallory, but worth checking out if you like Jason.

Nice. Gymkata!

Do you actually watch those movies before you listen to the pod?

The part about the foot is the reason I can’t watch Mr. Deeds

1 Like

can only vouch for those three HDTGM episodes I said (Bloodsport, The Devil’s Advocate, Deep Blue Sea)…I’m guessing the bad episodes are terrible. The buddy who recommended those to me also recommended Con Air, Street Fighter, Face/Off, 88 Minutes, Lake Placid, and The Room.

I tried those episodes first because I’d seen those movies tons of times, hell I think I saw The Devil’s Advocate and Deep Blue Sea four times each in the theater. Fwiw, scanning the list of episodes for The Rewatchables, those are almost all movies I’ve seen multiple times and have strong opinions about. While scanning the list of episodes for HDTGM there are a bunch I’ve never seen and some I’ve never heard of.

1 Like

I love Mantzoukas and as they’re both HDTGM, I have to recommend this:

1 Like

There’s only one movie I’ve ever seen in the theater more than once. I don’t know if I’m an outlier here or not.

Same here, there’s exactly one movie I’ve watched twice in theaters, then a bunch of movies I’ve watched once.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie twice in theater. I meant to see Dune a second time just for the sound, but never got around to it.