Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

2 Likes

My heighest recommendation for a theater movie. Saw it with my son in premium format (Cinemark XD I think.) No idea how much better that is than seeing it on a normal screen but the screen was gigantic and the sound was incredible. If you have Dolby, XD, Imax, or RPX nearby, Id probably recommend shelling out the extra 4 bucks

1 Like

Yall have convinced me to declare a family date night to see the new Spiderman

5 Likes

Yes, but youā€™re inoculated to the presence of children. I have to be much more strategic.

The beauty of the Spider Verse is that no matter what you wear, you can choose to show up in cosplay as a Spider-Man variant

To Leslie

8/10

The Netflix algorithm recommend this and I watched knowing nothing about it.

In reading about the movie afterwards there was some controversy about her getting a best actress nomination but in my opinion it is 100% earned. She gives an absolutely great performance and is so transformed that when I imdbā€™ed her I initially didnā€™t believe that she was the sexy Brit in Oblivion.

Marc Maron does a good job as the patron saint of good hearted losers and the director does some great choices. It really did feel like a great small indie film.

1 Like

Where do you live that you are so afraid of children in the theater? I live an area thatā€™s basically all families with kids. Went to a 6:45pm showing of Spider-Verse on weekend night. A group of teenagers yelled/commented a couple times, but they were genuinely reacting, not being assholes. That was it. It was fine.

1 Like

Watched this a couple of days ago and have to agree. The academy statement said lol they support grassroots campaigns for nominations, thereā€™s no conspiracy. It was a great movie :popcorn:

https://screenrant.com/across-the-spider-verse-gwen-stacy-trans/

https://twitter.com/FemK_Ultra/status/1665376219280408579?s=20

Well now I have to go see it

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure that afraid comes into it, but historically crowds full of kids have a strong bent toward being annoying. But itā€™s been an eternity since Iā€™ve been to a movie I would expect every kid to turn up to. Toy Story 3 I think would be the last one. Itā€™s not THAT big of a deal, but itā€™s just an anti-draw.

We went yesterday st 730. There were some kids but it was surprisingly not rowdy at all.

My grand scheme to make a throwaway curmudgeonly remark that everyone would smirk at and ignore has not succeeded.

3 Likes

For those who have seen Spiderverse 2, a question.

Im watching Spiderverse 1 right now, and music is such an integral part of who Miles is, and it feels like that was downplayed a lot in the second movie. Am I getting that right, or was I too blown away by everything else that I simply missed music being a big focus in part 2 as well.

1 Like

I think youā€™re right that music does not play as much of a role in the 2nd movie. Miles listens to music in a few scenes, and there are some good needle drops, but I think the music in the first film felt like it was used in a more crucial way for building the world and giving us insight into Miles. In the second film, the music felt more like a typical movie score - a background player that just helped to support the images and set some vibes.

That being said, the soundtrack for the second film was produced by Metro Boomin and has folks like Nas, JID, and Swae Lee on it, so the music still definitely fits with who Miles is and the world he lives in.

1 Like

Fwiw while I havenā€™t seen it, Dave Chen from Filmcast is classically trained cellist and often does random deep dives and videos about movie music.

His comments were that the music is outstanding and wowed him for referencing the original soundtrack but mostly being new music.

But to your point, sounds like it wasnā€™t as fully expressed as a part of the character in story??

Well there you have it

Yeah Im thinking the music is much more important in 1 because itā€™s Milesā€™ origin story. Whereas in two, since we know who he is and what he is about, the music is moved more to the background. We already know who Miles is now, so we donā€™t need to have the thing saying ā€œThis is who Miles is!ā€ at the forefront anymore.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/B00K0FTRIBE/status/1665910950615207937

2 Likes

There I was stuck in a Jail cell, waiting execution for killing my wife. my guard Henry Rollins just went by. All of a sudden I start glitching like mad and I become a completly different personā€¦ anyway. Thatā€™s life.

2 Likes