Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Heh, I just had a good cause to drop this quote into a conversation the other day.

1 Like

I still like that Jurrasic Park only had like 2 minutes of CGI in it that somehow still holds up pretty well in it and the rest was practical effects

2 Likes

Hardly surprising. The old practical effects in Star Wars look better than the updated CGI.

1 Like

I know I harp on the MCU a lot but itā€™s almost single handedly responsible for the bad cgi in film today. Itā€™s simple supply and demand. There are not enough vfx firms to do all the many many MCU films so all cgi gets a short stick. This has led to worse overall cgi in all modern film.

Created by strumming a guitar underneath the water

This is not a disagreement, but Iā€™m always stunned by how much of the prequel trilogy used practical effects.

I assume the most recent sequel trilogy was as live action as the Lion King.

Seems like youā€™re blaming an effect instead of a cause. If I were looking for a cause, Iā€™d be looking at e.g. Star Wars Ep. 1. Marvel is hardly the origin of this. Or maybe the Tobey Maguire Spider-Mans instead of the MCU?

Yeah, but fucking iconic. Iā€™m looking forward to when I can watch this with my girls, but they have got to be brave enough to make it through The Little Mermaid first.

2 Likes

did you do it? lol I combined quotes from Full Metal Jacket and The Aviator in one chat

Absofuckinlutely I did! Work call, too! ā€œLife finds a wayā€ was the perfect quote for the moment, and many of my coworkers lost it.

1 Like

Ah yeah just to be clear Iā€™m in agreement. Fucking iconic BECAUSE of how they did it!! I love the funky stuff sound engineers do to make sounds for movies.

My fave sound engineer Essa Hansen has been doing stuff for Skywalker Ranch in between writing books. She tells stories on her Twitter about coming up with the now iconic ā€œclangā€ of Captain Americaā€™s shield, as well as how those sounds evolved depending on context and texture of impact.

https://twitter.com/EssaHansen/status/1510317271452839942

But my favorite story from her was about including the voice of whales distantly in the background of the first moments in Avengers: Endgame after they ā€œfailā€ and the story skips forward five years. She needed the audience to feel deep grief and sorrow without the movie needing to do much on screen.

Canā€™t say Iā€™ve had much cause to quote FMJ since leaving high school sports. ā€œTHE FIRST AND LAST WORDS OUT OF YOUR STINKINā€™ HOLES IS GONNA BE SIR! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME!ā€ doesnā€™t really have a place in a corporate setting.

1 Like

Yeah, I donā€™t think I see this shot the same as you, which is fine. I have some appreciation knowing how they did the ripples in the cup, but the feeling of wonder for me is still believing that itā€™s a T. Rex thump making the ripples. This is in contrast with learning that the Death Star explosion was shot from below so that it would still look like the particles from the explosion were unconstrained by gravity. In the former, I still want to believe, but in the latter, I am happier knowing how they got around the constraints of Earthā€™s gravity. Iā€™m not sure why this is for me.

1 Like

Just watched this. Really good!

3 Likes

I misunderstood what you were saying. That makes sense. Iā€™ll chamber these behind the scenes engagements.

whenā€™s the next watch party?

No, no, I think you again misunderstand me. I donā€™t think Iā€™m worse off knowing that the JP ripples used a guitar to make them happen. I actually think I am better off, but only slightly, because my feelings are, like, hat tip, but take me back to the fantasy. Meanwhile, the Death Star explosion is, say, an explanation of why you never even had to imagine it any other way? I dunno, I donā€™t think my feelings on the subject of knowing whatā€™s behind the magic are logically coherent or consistent. Writing it out makes it seem much more nonsensical than it feels, but perhaps itā€™s just some sort of compartmentalization.

Sisu!

Makes sense, no need to explain further please

1 Like

I mainly wanted to be clear that your ā€œhow itā€™s madeā€ stories and citations are still welcome, and that Iā€™ll still enjoy them, even for ones that capture me differently.