Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Ok I do remember the T-Rex rampaging through San Diego in Lost World. I must have just blocked out the other stuff. Or I just started watching on cable near the end.

1 Like

Yeah I read Grisham too. Looking back I feel like I read so much more in high school than any other time of my life. I remember just loving Bonfire of the Vanities, The Right Stuff, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, On a Pale Horse, Misery, The Shining, The Stand, The Dune books, a ton of other books I can’t remember right now.

1 Like

I think the best trend was the anti-corporate movies of the 80/90s – like Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers and the Terminator movies. I remember seeing Robocop in the theater in high school and being blown away at how subversive it was.

2 Likes

The problem is that millions of people didn’t get that Robocop and Starship Troopers were satires.

2 Likes

Well that’s a feature of great satire right?

1 Like

Is Michael Myers a zombie? Otherwise they’re mostly stupid :circus_tent:

I need to watch Halloween again. Such a seminal movie.

Also when does Chris Pratt appear in the Jurassic Park universe? 4? I was hoping 3, which I’m watching now. But it does have William H. Macy.

1 Like

Michael Myers can drive a car so he’s probably not a zombie.

1 Like

Or… is he a sentient zombie, like the kind who could set a trap with mannequins?

Also, not only could zombies figure out how to set a trap with mannequins, but they’d also have to have known these mannequins were important emotional triggers to Will Smith, because he had already had placed them in the bookstore so he could have human facsimiles to talk to like Tom Hanks with the volleyball in Castaway. That seems very advanced for zombies.

1 Like

The vagrant heart of a mother zombie.

Zombie, you can drive my car
Yes, I’m gonna be a star

With their tanks and their bombs
And their bombs and their guns

1 Like

Everybody, you’re missing a huge line from Jurassic Park.

3 Likes

OG Jurassic Park was a hell of a movie.

3 Likes

You’re saying that a species composed entirely of female animals will…breed?

Well actually…!

Amazing to see JP1 challenging all sorts of silly concepts around sex and gender even in the 90s.

2 Likes

This is low key an easy yet crowd pleasing karaoke song

1 Like

The Guilty

On Netflix is an insanely tense one man movie with 90 minutes of heart pounding suspense. So fucking good. Can’t recommend highly enough.

Based on a true story too.

The original Danish film I hope, not the remake.

The remake is what I watched but going to watch the original too. Remake is very good.

These are all great quotes, but for me, it’s simply “Welcome to Jurassic Park” and the first thump of the T Rex are by far the most memorable sounds of that movie. Just the wonder and majesty of seeing the dinosaurs for the first time, and then feeling the looming might of the Rex (FROM A SPEAKER THAT WAS BEHIND ME IN THE THEATER), that is the feeling.

4 Likes