Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Here’s something I always wondered. In I Am Legend, when Will Smith is freaking out about the mannequins and then gets caught in the snare trap, I always thought he set it himself, but because he was losing his mind he forgot and got caught in his own trap.

The Rewatchables guys seemed to think it was the dark seekers getting smart and setting the trap themselves. Is that correct?

The other thing they said that drove me nuts. They asked “What was the predator’s end game?” Like how was he going to dominate earth, why was he killing people? Literally none of them understood that he was just on a recreational big game hunt, and he or his kind just showed up in the hottest years to hunt humans. I was screaming at my phone. I chalk it up to them all growing up in Boston and have no concept of hunting

2 Likes

Yea this is what I always thought

Oh, also the Twilight Zone episode where Burgess Meredith gets locked into a room and future Nazis televise his execution is one that might fit the role of 1-2 actors in a confined space. There’s another one where a secret agent is in a hotel room and he has to find the hidden boobytrap.

My buddy just texted me that the book agrees with my interpretation.

Wasn’t Burgess also the guy who fantasized about having all the time in the world to read every book ever written, and then when he managed to stop time, his glasses broke and he couldn’t read anything?

2 Likes

I loved that the Rewatchables did Talented Mr. Ripley - another criminally underappreciated movie imo.

2 Likes

This movie suffered from some strange edits in post production.

The vampires are sentient and yes are staging these things to fuck with him.

But the cuts to make the vampires “evil” makes stuff like that nonsensical.

Good because I think most of his movies have been as good as Lost World lol. This is the guy who also wrote Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!!

It made me a lot more interested in Michael Crichton’s contributions to the first script. They made huge changes when adapting the book, and he only agreed to write the sequel after the success of the first book/movie.

In JP1 the book, Malcolm died. But Jeff Goldblum’s performance was so popular that Crichton opened the next book explaining why he hadn’t really died lol.

1 Like

Yeah and apparently there are other alternate endings that show the dark seekers to be sentient.

1 Like

Crichton is amazing. He’s a right-wing turd now, but I read a bunch of his books in high school. Congo was probably my favorite.

1 Like

One thing that’s always bugged me about zombie movies is why don’t they just eat each other? Sure maybe live humans taste better. But if I’m that hungry where I’m freaking out trying to eat real humans, I’ll eat rancid zombie meat if I have to. Zombies literally have to be poisonous to other zombies for them to not each other.

Every zombie movie would just end with them all eating each other until one is left. Then the humans can just kill that one zombie.

2 Likes

Same!!! I devoured his books until State of Fear. Then it became impossible to ignore.

One theory is that zombies need endorphins to soothe the pain of decomposition.

So they will still eat flesh as long as it’s living. Once it has died, even reanimated flesh no longer has the “nutrients” a zombie needs.

The best take on this imo was the series Lexx (Showtime I think?). Not sure if anyone remembers that but it was so cool (also the first space guy patterned after Robert Smith of The Cure, which Dane Vacco was also patterned after in Chronicles of Riddick).

The best episode is when they go to a planet full of zombie-ish guys with Rutger Hauer as the leader. They’re all addicted to this drug called pattern, which it turns out is made by grinding up people. You can make pattern from other addicts, but it’s nowhere near as potent as pattern made from fresh non-addict humans. (think resin hit vs. real hit)

The best part is when all the addicts get this horn-call, then run to a big hole to do “the drain”, telling the humans “the drain is the best part” (coke reference). When the addicts get to the hole a little snake comes out of their shoulder and pukes stuff down to the giant mother snake at the bottom of the hole. It’s the best sci-fi addiction metaphor ever.

1 Like

Yes indeed but also he was in a few other Twilight Zone episodes. Tremendous actor.

2 Likes

And then dude hits his apex mountain in Rocky.

Also I found out from the podcast that Henry Wilcoxon, the bishop who gets struck by lightning in Caddyshack was basically the Philip Seymour Hoffman of the 30s-50s. Huge actor. And, “There is no God” was his one of is last movie lines.

I think some of his TZ performances are even better tbh

Thing I don’t get about zombies is they have to run out of energy eventually. Just bunker down for a year and they’ll all have stopped.

1 Like

I always assumed that they go into suspended animation most of the time, which allows them to conserve a lot of energy. So maybe eating one human can power them for years. But yeah, the fast zombies in 28 Days Later clearly need a lot of energy.

1 Like

I read Congo, Sphere and Jurassic Park when I was in middle school, I loved Sphere and Congo. Around that time I was also devouring Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum Bourne series and John Grisham. Wonder if I would still enjoy any of that stufd

4 Likes

Apex mountain is more about when that actor peaked fame/success wise.

For Burgess Meredith it’s either Rocky or the Penguin in the Batman on TV.

1 Like