Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

This is available on most streaming services (including for free on YouTube) and it’s incredible fan service.

Inside (2023) is an absolute banger.

Willem Dafoe plays an art thief pulling off the next big heist–when he gets trapped inside a penthouse suite with no way out.

Relentless and disturbing. You’ll know within the first thirty seconds of the trailer whether this is for you.

Streaming now on Peacock.

3 Likes

RRR is super long and entertaining without needing a big screen IMO

1 Like

ilikeyoubutpleasestoprecommendingmoviesandtvshowsthatcantcrack6.0onimdbtheyareterrible

1 Like

Lol

2 Likes

Inside is pretty damn good and ilikeyoubutpleasestopadvisingagainstmoviesandtvshowsthatcantcrack 6.0 onimdbbecausewhiletheyareoftenterribletherearequiteafewgems.

Movies often have a low rating on imdb that have nothing to do with the quality of the film. Good genre films are particularity susceptible to sub 6 scores as well as big budget films deemed to woke by the MAGA crowd.

1 Like

Even the bad reviews of Inside were like listen, if you’re into this kind of thing…

Dafoe + heist movie and I’m already hyped to see it.

2 Likes

Exactly. That movie is right up my alley so I’m probably going to be more forgiving than someone who doesn’t like this type of film.

Took a quick look for a few low-rated faves of mine:
Jennifer’s Body - 5.4.
That one is an easy 8 from me. Highly underrated movie. Seen it multiple times.
Hollow Man - 5.8
Low user rating and the critics hated it. I thought it was fun. Definitely a Verhoeven film. I’ve seen this one more than once as well.
Gamer - 5.7
Action/sci-fi with Gerard Butler doing his thing. Surprisingly weird and quite over the top.
Jason X - 4.3
Realistically not better than a 6 but it’s Jason Vorhees. In Space. And David Cronenberg cameos. And there’s a Camp Crystal Lake Holodeck. It’s ridiculous but I can’t turn away. Very watchable.

If I did a deep dive I bet I could find 50 sub 6 movies that I could classify as “pretty good”.

2 Likes

Two other EXCELLENT movies about main characters suddenly trapped inside intense situations within isolated locations:

https://tubitv.com/movies/348089?utm_source=justwatch-feed&tracking=justwatch-feed

Lol Gamer is terrible!!! :smiley:

Fair points. Same about Rotten Tomatoes. You gotta respect when something is bad vs not to your taste.

All Is Lost is meh, okay. Now I’m going to have to go in the tank and think of other movies like this.

1 Like

Buried seems like it fits this genre and was a pretty decent movie.

1 Like

You may be correct about Gamer. I think I confused it with Upgrade (although Upgrade reviewed well). Both cyberpunk movies with similar gimmicks (body controlled by someone else).

1 Like

It’s fair enough if you find out you like the one with Gerard Butler. My favorite but short lived and long since dead podcast YEAH, It’s That Bad did an amazing review of it.

But Upgrade is by the auteur Leigh Whannell, whose other movies include Saw, Insidious, and The Invisible Man.

The opening sequence of TIM alone is worth the price of admission. Such an incredible use of minimal sound. And hey a great double feature with Hollow Man!

So just thinking you are probably right and are thinking of Upgrade.

But it would be a lot cooler if it turned out to be Gamer lol

Tubi again delivers

https://tubitv.com/movies/308307?utm_source=justwatch-feed&tracking=justwatch-feed

I think once you are past the intro sequences, these movies also qualify. It’s tough because movies like Castaway technically could overlap but don’t feel bleak and isolated enough around a single character to fit.

1 Like

This is a good trailer.

1 Like

Can. Not. Wait!

Amazing book. Movie looks epic. Can’t see how this is not on my top three of year by years end.

A movie in this genre I’ll recommend is Panic Room, which is a smaller-budget heist movie that kinda got forgotten but it has Forrest Whitaker and Jodie Foster (always great), plus David Fincher and Howard Shore. Jodie and a very young Kristen Stewart are trapped in a panic room full of bearer bonds that Forrest Whitaker very much wants to break into. I think Fincher steals a shot from Kubrick at the end where the stolen money all flies into the air, I always love that bit.

I’ll say it’s a decent Friday night suspense drama movie.

3 Likes