Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I’ve avoided watching any of these mortal combat universe movies and I don’t regret it

3 Likes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/big_night

Great movie, great cast.

3 Likes

This looks awesome. I’ll check it out as soon as it’s on something other than Showtime :+1:

Most of these films come across pretty plastic to me but I loved the first 2 GOTG. They both have soul.

I’d put Hellboy and Hellboy 2 in that same category. Johann Krauss is such a great character.

I don’t really want to parse out which are from which studios too much. I think the nerds who read the comics will always be drawing from such a different experience.

1 Like

I was thinking about the Marvel movies and I was wondering if anyone else thinks that they should have just rebooted the whole thing after End Game? It was a nice conclusion so why not just start all over again with a new story from scratch? Get new villains, new fresh actors and try for another 12 to 15 year run of movies that eventually reach a conclusion.

1 Like

Because reboots are a gamble and sequels are a sure thing.

Like start a new iron man and it’s… some other 40 year old C list white guy? Why? Timothee C. as spiderman? Ugh.

I want to see this mcus crowd + new people vs a Dr doom actually done well after that sure whatever. But that’s at least 10 years away.

Ya I see your points and I can’t say I disagree with what you’re saying. I’m not super passionate about it either way. I guess having this Marvel Universe go on indefitnitely could be interesting to.

1 Like

I think this actually puts us in uncharted territory. The MCU in a comic book format would have been rebooted with Endgame or soon after.

It’s almost a given by now that whatever changes are made inside a comic book arc will eventually be retconned back to the status quo of the current generation.

But the MCU isn’t doing that. Dead characters are still dead. They can’t even really bring back the original actors without everyone acknowledging that CGI had to be used to hide their cryptkeeper faces.

If nothing else, I’m interested to see how long the MCU can sustain the current iteration. I’d love for them to last long enough to bring back the original actors for authentic storylines, like a 55 year old Chris Evans coming back for a series about Steve Rogers during the era when he lost the serum and finally got old.

1 Like

Do you love

1. Heist movies? :white_check_mark:

2. Time travel paradox movies? :white_check_mark:

3. Alexandra Daddario? :white_large_square:

Well how about 2 out of 3–and co starring Alexandra’s sister Catharine Daddario?

2 Likes

“Time changes everything” is a deliciously stupid tagline.

2 Likes
1 Like

I want to click that, but Fandomwire burned me way too many times with clickbait titles

1 Like

You do lots of film analysis on your channel?

1 Like

Yes. I didn’t start making audio and video components until recently, but I have been writing about books and movies and TV for a long time. I wrote about publishing and storytelling for a decade or so but am mostly retired from that industry now.

I used to publish with a lot of outlets but mostly do my own thing now.

1 Like

I lost my endurance about halfway through.

It’s sort of like a C-grade Primer.

Similar to Siskel saying you should judge a movie by whether a documentary about the same actors having dinner would be just as good, I am not sure I’d get more out of finishing The Tomorrow Job than just reading the Wikipedia.

I didn’t click it, but I believe they’re just reposting a Corridor Crew video. I follow Corridor Crew on YouTube and saw something about it in my feed.

1 Like

EVEN WORSE :smiley:

Nice, I like Corridor Crew as well. Who knew there would be more anticipation than Geraldo to find out what was on the back of their couch?

1 Like

I’m traveling to Singapore in a few days and trying to line up some movies to watch on the ridiculous trip there and back. In doing so, I’m trying to thread the needle of:

• Movie I want to see
  • Haven’t seen before
  • Not offensive to potential seatmates
  • My wife wouldn’t be upset if I watched it without her
  • Not so good that I want to watch it in better conditions at home
  • I probably wouldn’t be super upset if I dozed off for a bit (the only other trip I’ve had like this was to Hong Kong, where I was in a not-asleep-but-not-entire-awake state of stupor the entire time and don’t really remember much of anything).

So I’ve downloaded the following:

• Shutter Island
  • Licorice Pizza
  • It (old school miniseries version, which I was excited to see was on HBO)
  • Banshees of Inisherin
  • Unforgiven (seen it, but have been in the mood to see it again)
  • Slumdog Millionaire (ditto)
  • Joker
  • Raging Bull
  • Kingsman
  • Parasite
  • The Menu
  • Roadrunner: Anthony Bourdain film

Any other downloadable suggestions? Any of these that I should promote to “don’t watch it on your ipad on an airplane, you dumbass” status?

Watched The Menu on a plane last week and really enjoyed it.

I’d advise taking Licorice Pizza off the list, not because it fails any of your bullet points, but because it’s an absolutely terrible movie. (I didn’t really care for Banshees either, but at least I can understand the point of view of those who liked it.)

Try and top this emotional whiplash duo I watched on a long flight back to back.

Up followed by Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Both made me tear up. But for very different reasons.