Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Deal breaker

1 Like

A thing that impresses me about To is the range of movie styles he’s good at. Heroic Trio is wire-work kung-fu, Election is just like a Scorsese movie, Fulltime Killer feels like a 90’s action shoot-em-up. They’re all completely different from each other.

gotta re-recommend Drug War for anyone who hasn’t seen it, this movie slaps.

1 Like

Timecrimes (2007)

Nacho Vigalondo’s time-travel thriller opens with Hector spying on a beautiful woman undressing in the woods near his property. Investigating, he finds her assaulted and he in turn is attacked by a man whose head is swathed in bandages. Fleeing, Hector encounters a scientific facility where a scientist offers to let him hide–without revealing that the hiding place is actually a time machine.

Hector travels back in time nearly an hour. Encountering his past self will be the first of a series of disasters of unforeseeable consequences.

For some reason this is only on Pluto but not on Tubi. Nevertheless! It’s streaming for free with ads.

Timecrimes is one of the best time travel/time paradox movies you’ll ever see.

See it alongside similar time paradox movies like:

• Coherence
    Time Lapse
    Triangle
    Primer
    Predestination
    Source Code

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1649856222110031873?s=20

1 Like

John Wick 4

Like watching 25 hours of a guy playing a boring video game on god mode so he can’t ever die. I could barely stay awake.

Grade: F

1 Like

Have you seen Liliy C.A.T.? I feel like it’s in your wheelhouse.

1 Like

No but I see it’s streaming for free on Roku…

It’s free on youtube also right now. Not 100% sure if that’s legal.

1 Like

Finally finished ‘Lansky’ starring Harvey Keitel on Prime, had to watch it in two sittings. I found it to be a jumbled, incoherent mess of flashbacks and unexplained random shit. Don’t waste your time.

1 Like

Wild

7/10

This would seem to be Oscarbait but it’s not dramatic enough to be stereotypical Oscarbait so I have to believe this was a bit of a Reese Witherspoon passion project as well. I have to give it points for dramatizing hiking which is a pretty non dramatic activity. The Pacific Crest trail looks beautiful. But ultimately it just didn’t congeal into a great story but merely an OK one for me.

2 Likes

I thought she got nominated for that?

1 Like

I think she was. I was thinking of Oscarbait as more of the stereotype of something that’s a 1 in a million event or something written to push an actor to extremes. This had the trappings of Oscarbait, there’s drug use and out of control sex, but also the story, at the high level, is

a woman hikes the PCT to get over her mother’s death.

It’s small bore, which is why I imagined that Witherspoon liked the story so much that she took it up in spite of not being a top tier contender.

I actually liked that the story wasn’t a pedal to the metal of excess, and was a small scale story. There needs to be more of these small scale contemplative stories.

1 Like

In the same vein has anyone watched a Walk in the Woods? I’ve always just assumed any hiking movie would be boring as hell. Props if Hollywood can make thru-hiking even remotely interesting.

Fresh starring Daisy Edgar-Jones and Sebastian Stan is a fun one and available on Hulu. I went in without much knowledge of it and I think that’s a good way to approach it so I’m not going to summarize anything here.

Dang, sorry you didn’t like this one more. Wild hit me so hard, especially the stuff about addiction and losing her mom and how that sent her into a huge spiral.

Reese is adapting another book by the same author: tiny beautiful things by Cheryl Strayed

In June 2022, Hulu ordered the adaptation of “Tiny Beautiful Things” to series, starring Kathryn Hahn as Dear Sugar. The show will be helmed by Liz Tigelaar, who also was the showrunner of “Little Fires Everywhere” and “Life Unexpected.”

I love the idea that Reese Witherspoon is spending her forties just sitting around reading books until she finds a passion project.

Adapted books (or adaptations in production) so far include:

Big Little Lies
Where the Crawdads Sing
Little Fires Everywhere
From Scratch
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (being adapted by director of Flea)
Daisy Jones & The Six
The Last Thing He Told Me
The Alice Network
The Lying Game (incredible thriller by Alice Ruth)

My first rewatch of Fulltime Killer in over a decade and it’s a blast. Big 90’s rom-com energy, bold choices made constantly. How amazing is Andy Lau? He seems totally comfortable acting in Japanese for much of the movie, and I know he also speaks English. It’s just a bop, what a great, underappreciated movie.

I love the cultural back and forth where 90’s Hollywood action movies inspired 00’s Hong Kong action which has given us John Wick.

Popped up on my YouTube feed. A couple fun stories:

2 Likes

Looks like we know what will top @clovis8 's movie of the year list

5 Likes