Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I’m curious what your rate of defective disks has been recently. I subscribe to so many streaming services that I refuse to pay to rent something outside of those services, and I use the library to get DVDs for things that aren’t streaming. But recently, I think it’s been about a 50/50 coin flip whether the disk actually plays. It’s enormously frustrating.

Musk should start a streaming service where all content is available for free, but you have to like one of his posts every 5 minutes that you watch

Maybe 2 years ago, I had a run of trouble where some disks would skip/freeze up/etc. I eventually got a new DVD player, and I have had zero trouble since, so I think the previous issues were probably due to something in the player, not the DVDs.

I think I still had their DVD service until a few years ago. Used to be good for obscure/cult movies, but these days I can find just abou teverything I want to see streaming.

1 Like
1 Like

Holy shit that’s a great fuckin story. Short and easy read too.

1 Like

YT has been serving me clips from Up In The Air recently …

I forgot about Sam Elliott in this. One of the comments on this clip …

Sam Elliott is an absolute master at acting but not saying much. He’s like an introvert who doesn’t say much but when he does, everyone listens.

… reminded me of Silent Bob, and I started to think about Elliott and Kevin Smith role swapping, and it’s kind of fun.

1 Like

Weird. Me too. I watched the scene where he fired JK Simmons.

1 Like

Such a good movie. My favorite bit is the letter of recommendation he sends at the end. He says, “She’s the best choice you’ll have made in a long time.”

Argument can be made that without Up in the Air, we’d never have opened up the tech and audience to film Top Gun 2.

Enjoying this.

4 Likes

Mother of God.

1 Like

It’s been out a month and this is the first I’m seeing or hearing of it lol. Looks cool

Dead Meat released a Kill Count today for the 1972 movie Frogs, starring Sam Elliott.

Look at this ridiculously good looking man without a moustache.

1 Like

Unrecognizable. Looks like Michael Landon from Highway to Heaven.

1 Like

RIP Oakland A’s.

1 Like

Now available on Tubi or Netflix is the prequel (and sequel!) short film to Hook funded and co starring the actor who portrayed Rufio.

https://tubitv.com/movies/712068?utm_source=justwatch-feed&tracking=justwatch-feed

For a feature film that hits the depth I want whenever I return to Hook as an adult, check out Wendy (2020).

1 Like

Election Part 2 even better than Part 1. It does get pretty gruesome at the end so fair warning. For people who follow politics, this long saga of ancient democratic norms and customs destroyed by raw depravity may seem oddly familiar. My man Johnnie To is just criminally underrated in the West.

Also, I need to go back and re-re-watch Full Time Killer, what a masterpiece.

1 Like

This guy who I assume represents Justice John Roberts is shouting “You have to swear on ancient triad traditions that you didn’t just murder the guy running against you1” And the absolute sociopath who literally turns people into hamburger meat is like “Oh no, of course not.” And then John Roberts is like, “Okay, I guess you get to be president of the mafia.” It’s like a movie from 2006 is anticipating the 2028 election.

Just rewatched ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ since my s/o had not seen it. I did not realize that Tex Watson was played by Austin Butler

butlerelvis

2 Likes

Checking in to say that I recently watched Drug war based on your recs and yeah it’s as good as you said it was !

Have to fact check you on the MI slander though, it came out the year after MI4 so if anything To is the one who took inspiration from Cruise :slight_smile:

That execution ending is brutal…Reading about it, it seems that Chinese censorship insists that “bad guys” should be punished for their crimes so this may be why this how the movie ends, but man even if we just saw this guy murder dozens of people this was still hard to watch…

The only other To movie I had on my streaming services was the much earlier The heroic trio, which has Maggie Cheung, Michelle Yeoh and Anita Mui doing some kind of superheroic adventures. Very silly and different to the serious later To movies of course, but very stylish and fun.

(The goofiness of old HK movies is something that does not quite click with me at the moment. This may just mean I should watch a lot more of them, and I’d be into it…unfortunately showing 10 mins of Tsui Hark’s Chinese feast to the gf was enough to make her not want to try another one of those for at least a couple years…)

3 Likes