Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

:+1:

Now it’s very important to remember–as laid bare in the lawsuit involving Molly and so many others–that the character played by Michael Cera is an amalgamation of several different assholes, but it is MOSTLY based on none other than Tobey Maguire, aka Spider-Man, aka Iron Man’s secret seduction.

The movie adaptation of Molly’s Game anonymizes virtually everyone involved, but you can get what is essentially the unredacted versions by reading the book Molly’s Game, then Billion Dollar Hollywood Heist by Houston Curtis.

Maguire has agreed to pay back $80,000, and acknowledged that he knew nothing of the Ponzi scheme. Other celebrities connected to the underground gambling ring (with $100,000 buy-ins) include Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon.

1 Like

See, this comment got my attention. You, Marvel Hater #1, are a John Wick lover? I’d previously dismissed the franchise due to the bad association with Keanu in the last two Matrix movies and not really seeing in trailers or hearing about anything about Wick that uncovered any new ground. Generic revenge pic? Meh. I passed.

But, then they made 3 of them, and now 4, which is getting quite a bit of buzz, and then you, loather of franchises, are rewatching and loving the original? OK, I guess I’ve got to give it a shot. It’s free for me on the 'cock (with awkwardly placed commercials).

It’s … only OK? It follows the canonical Hero’s Journey step for step, which, like, I’m fine with, it’s basically the greatest plot of all time and across cultures, and the usual structure of Marvel movies, but there’s nothing really new or special here in terms of twists or riffs on the structures. The Call to Adventure may strain but not break credulity, and if you buy into that, the first half of the movie may not be special but there’s nothing wrong with it. Keanu is pistol superman, never missing a shot and always has a finishing shot for the guy he just killed who wasn’t actually quite dead and the new guy coming in who’s about to kill him had he instead focused entirely on the guy he was strangling. I don’t entirely agree with Trolly that you have no idea what to expect – you were pretty clearly told that this guy was the biggest badass in the history of hitmen who could do the impossible – but the fight choreography was good. Keanu is impossibly but also believably accurate and skilled as a hand to hand fighter.

Best and most unique part of the movie was probably the “is he or isn’t he?” with Willem Defoe’s character.

But the second half of the movie, and especially the last fight, really undo a lot of that. Keanu starts missing shots, and of course it’s when he’s shooting at Reek and the Big Henchman (otherwise still dead to rights, obviously). Of course they can’t die unceremoniously in the club. There have to be dedicated scenes for that.

The climax was definitely the weakest, though. We’ve got to get Keanu into the “Obvious Product Placement”-mobile, which is a way less cool car than he showed up to the hotel in, except for the fact that it has magically bulletproof doors but not bulletproof windows or a roof, which seems to only be the case because they needed to have Keanu in that car while also being able to survive heavy automatic weapons fire unscathed. Good luck with your sepsis from that stab wound, Keanu. Hydrogen peroxide and some staples on the outside are definitely not enough.

On the acting, Keanu was basically Keanu, but was blessed with getting to have e.g. whole phone conversations with no words, so he was fine. There was one cheesy line in the final fight, and up to that point, we’d largely avoided those. Reek still seemed like he was playing Reek. The Allstate guy still seemed like the Allstate guy, except he was supposed to be an annoying American instead of a funny mascot. Viggo really seems like he should have had a Russian accent to his English, but no one really gives a shit that Hans Gruber spoke with an English accent (except when he was doing an American one). I like Lance as an actor (RIP), but his part was too small to make or break the movie. These are all forgivable things for me, but this is just to say that I didn’t see any character played so well that they’d stick with me beyond watching this.

So, bottom line, I was entertained, but I am left wondering why you, of all critics, seem to have liked this one even more than I did. Maybe I’m more willing to buy into literal and explicit magic than I am into something that’s supposed to be realistic but that also clearly needs unexplained magic in order to turn out as it did?

2 Likes

The guy’s made close to 70 movies, do you have any specific recs ?

Those I’ve seen :

PTU amost a perfect movie, but is hurt by the horribly distracting 80s style guitar (in a 2005 movie!) soundtrack
The mission cool action film, one of the goat shootout scenes, weirdly structured plot, also has a distracting soundtrack (but catchy, I still find myself humming it years later)
Election was ok but expected more given its rep, I found the visuals a bit boring especially for a HK film. Good ending though.
Breaking news almost no memory of that one except that it was pretty good.

1 Like

John Wick started as “every action movie cliche from the 80s and 90s” but completely serious in a day where every action movie seems to need like 25 jokes.

And the marvel movies are better than Clovis says, but they need a lot more scenes like this:

This is a really good fight scene! We get very, very few good action scenes in these kinds of movies and considering they all cost $200 million, thats insane.

2 Likes

Election parts I and II are on Criterion but also Drug War is a favorite of mine.

2 Likes

To take an analogy from another thread both dominos and single batch boutique pie made from imported Italian ingredients are pizza. Same goes for the MCU and John Wick.

Fire lmao

You either instantly empathize with the dude losing his wife and the last remaining emotional border she left for this dude or you don’t. His wife and the dog she left were all that remained between him and his instincts to live as much like an assassin as Wayne Gretzky instincts make him a hockey player wherever he goes.

Mrs. Gretzky: Oh yes. Everywhere.

The movie is absolutely manipulating the audience by using a dog as the catalyst, but I mean yeah, it works on a fundamental level for most people.

Death Wish was a fun but niche old movie rebooted into a fun but niche Bruce Willis remake, but a lot of people feel very conflicted about revenge for their family. It’s complicated.

But murder the guy’s fucking dog left to him by his dead wife? Almost everyone has met a dog that sparked instant empathy and connection. Lots have never had a family. Easier for all audiences to narratively follow the guy who can’t resist revenge with the pup as the catalyst.

PS. Not sure how much of this was on the level to engage with Armond “Clovis” White so please don’t laugh too hard if I took you too seriously lol

Election is also on Tubi, because Tubi knows what’s up. Edit: fuck, it has Drug War too, I know what I’m watching tonight.

Yeah, this is part of what I mean by the Call to Adventure straining but not breaking credulity. “Manipulation” is a good choice of words. Like, the dog came out of literally nowhere, who the hell picks out a dog for someone else when they’re literally dying, and it’s not like Reek really needed to kill the dog or even had much reason to, but dammit we’re going to shoehorn a reason for a guy to go on a murderous rampage in just a few minutes of screen time, and enough people will buy that a cute dog does the trick. It’s not exactly a cliche, but it’s the obvious answer to, “How can we get the audience to believe that this cold blooded assassin is emotionally bonded to something in two short scenes?” i.e., it’s manipulative.

1 Like

Also, I forgot this. More of an action movie than a gangster film, but sill very good with a lot of fun callbacks to classic American action movies.

I’m not really sure which is which in your analogy, because one movie is made from a guy who hadn’t done much in a decade and who’s recently coming off a substantial bomb, a guy who’ll forever be known best for having his dick cut off, two insurance salesmen, and Willem Dafoe, and the other franchise is pulling from the hottest actors, writers, and directors in the world, with budgets to match.

1 Like

Yeah.

I just don’t think that’s a bad thing in the way I mean it as a storyteller.

We use this in virtually every story that works for audiences.

The two techniques are called “Save the Cat” and “Pet the Dog.”

Like Dirty Harry making his way through the world’s most intense gunfight…but he stops to pick up and protect a stray puppy because God forbid it get hit by a stray bullet. No matter what the guy does afterward, most people now believe that character has a heart of gold at his core. He just needs to grow. Now we are looking forward to whatever the story does to compel that growth for the character and hopefully us along with them thanks to our instant emotional connection.

Each person’s lived experience brings a unique dimension to the narrative fidelity of the story, ie what “feels” authentic beyond rational explanation. As storytellers, we just do our best to recognize and “manipulate” those things in order to provide the most accessible, engaging, and impactful experience for audiences.

It would take me five seconds to apply the same criticism to any of the stories you love. That doesn’t mean you’re wrong tho.

12 Angry Men

Okay, @CanadaMatt3004, I finally watched this last night. Despite my very high expectations, it did not disappoint.

Oustanding 90 minute movie that zipped by as if it was half the time. I was fully engaged the entire time. Possibly the best character development I’ve ever seen in a film. All 12 had very distinct and fleshed out personalities.

I think I’ll stop short of calling it “perfect”, but it’s certainly one of the best films I’ve ever seen.

8 Likes

This is an all time best movie for sure. It’s Sorkin before Sorkin.

Fuck yeah!

The first John Wick was almost straight to DVD. You can kind of tell by who is in it and it’s a lot of people who could have used the money.

A better angle for Clovis to use on recent big budget action movies vs MCU would be practical effects v CGi.

What are some successful action movies of late? John Wick, creed, mission impossible, top gun, mad max all famous for not filming half the movie in front of a green screen.

1 Like

You should now watch the parody episode of 12 Angry Men from Inside Amy Schumer.

Equally famous in some circles for then adding meaningless CGI on top. That’s not meant to be red meat for Armond Clovis!!

‘Ballerina’ Producer Explains Lance Reddick’s Cameo in ‘John Wick’ Spin-Off

“Ian has a little bit more to do, and John Wick is an extended cameo. He shot for about a week. Lance shot for a day. Those were last minute adds in a way, too. How do we merge the worlds a bit more, so there’s a bit of more of brand continuity?

I didn’t know if Keanu was going to do the movie. I think we had always hoped he would. Then the timeline thing became a thing because we were still in post on ‘John Wick 4,’ and it was like, is he dead? Is he not? Is he dead?