Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

10 minutes into this and I have no idea if any of it’s real or not but I haven’t laughed this hard in a long time.

2 Likes

Getting the convo back to Tubi:

I’m rewatching the MST3k episode of Master Ninja as one does and man, Lee van Cleef was a badly underused actor; one of the great quiet Western tough guys of yore. Even as an aging old guy paying dues doing B movies, the man is still a joy to watch.

Made-for-TV movies were such a fun bit of forgotten pop culture trash. I would pay good money to read a longform history of the genre.

I love when Tubi gets the thumbnail mixed up with the wrong show by the same name lol lol

1 Like

A Knock At the Cabin now streaming on Peacock and it is truly a return to form for Shyamalan.

It has everything you probs didn’t like about his movies even at his best. But it also has everything else you love. Watched it yesterday and now gonna give it the classic Shyamalan Second Watch with the full context in mind.

Based on a book I’m very curious to read.

A lot of Shyamalan movies lately are like man if you’d just ran the credits twenty minutes sooner ugh but this one is excellent even despite one brief moment where I was like oh fuck here we go again someone just couldn’t yell M Night “bro that’s a bad idea”

Compare this to his last movie Old, which I found literally unwatchable. But that’s just me!

Makes the perfect double feature with A Cabin in the Woods.

2 Likes

You can’t trick me into watching an M. Night Syamalan movie, even is Bautista is in it.

2 Likes

You only have so much willpower. Bautista will win.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrandCapitalBlackmamba-size_restricted.gif

1 Like

I just finished a second viewing. It’s five bags. You are silly if you don’t give it a shot. It’s about two gay married men defending their adopted Asian daughter from the supposed rapture. How can you not give this a shot?!

Worst case scenario is you turn off the sound and let M Night dazzle you with his directing skills. I’d say LOL that’s not the director, that’s the cinematographer! But he uses a different one every movie, so IDK seems like he just knows what he’s doing but desperate needs help with his scripts.

Fortunately…

Steve Desmond and Michael Sherman did the HOLY SHIT short film Monsters (2015).

1 Like

It’s so weird to see the guy who held D-Von Dudley’s collection box 20 years ago become this massive entertainment star.

1 Like

I just hope he continues to crush it.

Wasn’t ten years ago I was like holy shit, Dwayne Johnson is a titan. He had a rough start with Scorpion King, but after that he did solid performance after solid performance that didn’t merely take advantage of his public persona.

The Other Guys
You Again
Fast Five
Moana
Jumanji
DC League of Super Pets

I wondered…is The Rock actually going to do this better than Arnold???

This nonsense around Black Adam and Fast and Furious has made me go somewhat cold on him lol, but it could just be me.

Anyway, more room for Bautista. Just hope he continues to hold the torch for former wrestlers as long as he can.

A few years ago I got free tickets to a promotional screening of the film Stuber. [For those unfamiliar with this gem, Bautista plays a cop who takes a day off in order to get eye surgery. Just after the procedure, he gets a lead on a bad guy he’s been chasing for a while. His boss tells him to back off and wait until he has recovered to pursue the lead, but ol’ Dave decides he needs to start pursuing the guy right away. But, his eyesight is too messed up to drive. So, what can he do? Call an Uber (driven by Kumail Nanjiani, naturally) to track the guy down, obviously. ]

Anyway, in the post-show Q&A Bautista came off as a smart, thoughtful, teddy bear of guy who really wanted to be a great actor, so I’ve been rooting for him ever since.

2 Likes

You can tell he is really serious about improving his craft. He seems to get better with every role.

3 Likes

He really does. It seems impossible that we can say this, but Dave Bautista was somehow the best part of a movie starring Ryan Gosling.

Johnnie To is the greatest gangster movie director since Scorsese and it’s not even close.

l saw that one in theaters and had a great time. Perfect old-school matinee.

1 Like

No you’re right, it’s not his fault. But they did him wrong in the climax.

Finally saw Molly’s Game at long last. Chas rain was brilliant in it. I’d have preferred straight narrative storytelling to her narration, but still a good watch. 3.5 of 5

1 Like

At the local symphony, special guest conductor Lydia Tar on March 28th

3 Likes

4 Likes

Also January 4th.