Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Got you fam

Mandela effect: What Is It, how It works, and more Mandela effect: What Is It, how It works, and more

Creed 3 was a solid flick. Boxing scenes shot beautifully and the characterization was fantastic. I thought the plot structure was a tiny bit weak, and didnā€™t really get invested into the boxing portions

1 Like

Question: what is the best Schwarzenegger movie?

1 Like

jingle all the way

1 Like

Pretty comfortable with Terminator 2 here, especially as worded. Even if someone wants to argue that T1 is better than T2, T1 is much less of a ā€œSchwarzenegger movieā€ than T2.

4 Likes

Commando is Schwarzenegger at his purist

4 Likes

Arnold is a treasure.

Conan The Barbarian
Commando
The Running Man
Predator
Twins
Kindergarten Cop
Terminator 1 and 2
Total Recall
Last Action Hero
True Lies
Jingle All The Way
Eraser

ALL BANGERS!

I will weep when heā€™s gone

4 Likes

True lies for me

Big fan of eraser too

1 Like

Probably T2, but Total Recall and True Lies are my favorites.

I was 14 and my brother was 11 when Total Recall was released. My dad took us to see it and for whatever reason, we went to a predominantly Black theater (Iā€™m guessing availability, as it wasnā€™t near where we lived). It was awesome. The stereotype of the audience yelling at the movie was in full effect. The best part was in the ā€œconsider that a divorceā€ scene, as the tension built, people were standing up, yelling, ā€œSHOOT THE BITCH! SHOOT THE BITCH!ā€

It was quite the wonderful experience for this suburban Jewish kid.

3 Likes

Running Man holds a real special place for me. Pure bugfuckery

6 Likes
1 Like

Free on YouTube

1 Like

Whichever one has ā€œget in da choppaā€

3 Likes

https://medium.com/translating-everything/translating-that-time-arnold-schwarzenegger-showed-the-world-what-happens-when-men-can-get-pregnant-8135309cbfcf?sk=d278bc4ad94d27d7afbb303a82c84018

Yā€™all remember Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Just three years after he stunned audiences with the blockbuster Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991), Arnold returned to subvert just about every idea about gender we had.

This time, Schwarzenegger wouldnā€™t return as an unstoppable killing machine. Nor would he take the screen as the last action hero.

Old hat. Too easy.

This time, Arnold Schwarzenegger would get pregnant.

Why Arnold Schwarzenegger was perfect to play a pregnant man

As an actor with big muscles and a balky Austrian accent, youā€™d think [Arnold] would be limited, and yet he knows himself so well that it gives him freedom: Is a pregnant Arnold any harder to believe, really, than Arnold as Conan the Barbarian? ā€” Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times, Review of ā€œJuniorā€

If there is anyone willing to soldier through what is apparently not a reboot of True Lies but a legasequel that later has a Tom Arnold cameo?!!

Itā€™s on Paramount+ as of March 1 and well Iā€™m old and died within 5 minutes

1 Like

I gotta make up for whoever watched that.

Here is a callback to Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies from one of her later movies that I just discovered a couple of days ago.

If you remember that infamous stripping scene Jamie performed in True Lies, youā€™ll recognize those same iconic moves right around the 4:00 mark of this competitive improv dance scene.

Hereā€™s the trailer lol itā€™s on Disney+

High school was hell for Marni (Kristen Bell), so she is horrified to learn that her brotherā€™s fiancee is Joanna, the nemesis of her teen years. Marni intends to expose Joannaā€™s evil side to her family, but the situation really explodes with the arrival of Joannaā€™s Aunt Ramona (Sigourney Weaver), who was the high-school rival of Marniā€™s mother (Jamie Lee Curtis). When both older women revert to their teenage personas, the result is extreme wedding turmoil.

You Again has a STACKED cast that includes Jaimeā€™s good friend Sigourney Weaver/Ripley, Kristen Bell, Kristin Chenowith, Betty White, and I swear to god Dwayne the Rock Johnson in a cameo that made me remember the dude can fucking act.

If that doesnā€™t make up for it, hereā€™s Betty White.

And hereā€™s Jamie Lee Curtis and Sigourney Weaver on a PR tour for You Again where they ended up discussing what itā€™s like to work with James Cameron.

Iā€™ve seen just about all of the Arnold movies but not Running Man, it sounds pretty great based on the description Iā€™ll have to give it a watch. Hard to pick a favorite but mine are probably T2, True Lies and Predator

Cool piece, thanks for sharing. I fear the general style of eeaao will always prevent me from really connecting with it, but at least I can understand that itā€™s coming from a place of sincerity (and is perceived as such by many).

(I also watched that short with Sandoval months ago and tbh I donā€™t remember much of it, but your write-up definitely helps me to appreciate what itā€™s going for ! I might re-watch it and definitely need to check out her other stuff at some point)

1 Like

The long goodbye :sunglasses:

1 Like