Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

He’s very, very good in Creed III. Gets to play a lot of different emotional beats, and, if I may objectify him for a second, looks absolutely amazing

1 Like

I am working on a longer piece about it with quotes from some Asian film critics that I hope will expand your appreciation and personal experience of the movie :pray:

1 Like

jonathan-majors

2 Likes

I saw Creed on a stream, so no cheering audience. I was totally bored and thinking, “I’ve seen this before.” I think that MBJ is legit, but the formula seemed so tired and stretched really thin.

Recognize that scene, but can’t place the movie it was from. What is it?

1 Like

I like him in the hbo show lovecraft country

6 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up:

2 Likes

Lovecraft Country was fucking awesome.

Saw an RRR rerelease yesterday, mostly Indian people there, was really fun in that environment with people cheering and whistling haha. Good movie, but didn’t feel it was incredible or anything.

Will I be doing myself a disservice watching EEAAO on a plane tv screen? Figure i should give it a shot with all the posts you guys make about it.

3 Likes

Yes and no. It’s a movie that rewards any kind of viewing experience. Come back later and have fun picking out all of the stuff you missed the first time.

I think if you have a chance to watch a good movie on the plane, take it. My personality is not designed to withstanding the dehumanizing torture of contemporary air travel. If I am able to distract myself with entertainment of any kind I just leap at it. I would gladly sacrifice the “optimal” viewing experience for a movie to avoid wallowing in the crushing despair that is inevitable if you allow the experience of air travel to be present in your mind.

6 Likes

Eat at Arby’s

6 Likes

Interesting. I wanna see if I feel the same way.

This review at Decoding Everything of what was so amazing about Creed and why Creed III is so good made me put Creed I back on right now.

I’m gonna finally watch part II, which DE says is not as good as part I, but then says part III mirrors the excellence of part I by not just repeating tired tropes, but innovating on how to bring the audience into the personhood of the characters and the experience of being in the ring.

The first Creed gave us some of the most visceral boxing scenes ever, and while the choreography of the second film wasn’t awful, it lacked the same level of immersion. Creed III rectifies that issue, with a commitment to the kind of intimate, focused editing that Coogler used to such spectacular effect. Morgenthau and Jordan put us in the middle of the ring as well as Adonis’ very perspective, sometimes even slowing down time to show us the fight from the most vulnerable angles. The result is nothing short of exhilarating.

But for all the jaw-breaking, bone-crunching spectacle, the best part of Creed III’s action sequences is how Jordan uses stylistic visuals to evoke raw characterization. When the time finally comes for Damian and Adonis to step into the ring as bitter enemies, the film once again conjures up the casual aesthetic bombast of anime, showing us firsthand exactly what the two fighters think of each other. Under Jordan’s direction, the ring itself becomes a reflection of the bleak systemic conditions that brought both fighters to that exact moment, suddenly rendering their battle in much more operatic, Shakespearean terms. Paradoxically, Creed III understands that as satisfying as it is to watch two chiseled men work through their trauma blow-for-blow, it can be just as cathartic to see them learn how to navigate conflict in an emotionally healthy way instead.

1 Like

Having an existential crisis and need your help.

My wife and I have a running joke, where when somebody says something about somebody or something being everywhere, we say “They’re everywhere, EVERYWHERE!” ala Sandra Bullock in the hit 1995 movie, The Net, to the point that we would put on the trailer and die laughing at this line whenever we were in the mood for it.

Last night we were having some fun and the line came up for some reason, so we went to youtube and put on The Net trailer, and the scene isnt fucking there. We tried 5 different trailers and it isnt there. I know it used to be there, but I cannot fucking find it anywhere. Im trying to figure out if maybe we used to watch a clip and confused it as a trailer (not what I remember, it was clips from many different points of the movie and a voiceover guy, so it had to be a trailer) or what the hell is happening here.

If anyone can find a trailer for the movie with this line in it or even this fucking scene (I’m having trouble finding even that) please please post it here.

1 Like

You’ll find it over there next to the Berenstein Bears books.

4 Likes

I got you friend.

Your mind combined several similar auditory elements centered around the extremely effective way Sandra Bullock says “WHERE” each time in this movie.

These are clips from the screenplay:

Hmmmm, its 100% from that last scene. Now I just need to find the trailer where that scene is included.

Thanks RF :)

1 Like

You’re welcome please share if it turns out it’s a real scene!!! Trailers often did use alternate or extended takes from what was seen in the finished movie.