Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Fabelman really that good??? No way it beats EEAAO but hey Spielberg needs fans

Do you mean thereā€™s no way it beats it in the Academy Awards, or in this UP poll? Because I think the Academy Awards voters just love movies about movies so much that it will get a huge boost.

1 Like

In every universe, thereā€™s no way EEAAO doesnā€™t win Best Picture.

Donā€™t make me break out my sausage fingers.

1 Like

Hasan should be the full time host of TDS.

Heā€™s 10000x better than Noah

1 Like

Yeah I thought it was really good and hit many different notes very well. I also tend to like movies about movies in general. (Also for the Lynch heads itā€™s worth seeing for the 5 last minutes alone).

I can definitely understand why some people donā€™t like it, itā€™s pretty weird in that itā€™s Spielberg writing his own origin story with zero false modesty and itā€™s a little all over the place tonally. But I think this is also what makes it an interesting movie.

Eeaao seemed to me to be for a very specific crowd (and i wouldnt have guessed it would connect with so many people, good for you who did though), and like mosdef said I would have been very surprised that this includes the olds who vote for the Oscar, but if the odds are what they are I must be wrong.

(Also no votes for Top Gun yet makes me a little sadā€¦we are not worthy of Tom Cruise)

1 Like

Saw Creed III yesterday. Audience was really into it, yelling stuff at the screen like ā€œoh shit, he hit the sweat off his backā€ and ā€œknock him out!ā€ If youā€™ve seen the trailer and other Rocky movies, you already know the main plot points, but itā€™s still fun watching it play out. Jordan and Majors put in impressive emotional and physical performances, and the supporting cast is great too. Some good character moments for Creed.

4 bags of popcorn

1 Like

Triangle of Sadness

Had some great moments, but was really not that good a film. Should have been shorter by at least an hour and the ending was terrible.

Parasite already did this schtick and did it significantly better and more coherently.

1 Like

Wow strongly disagree on all your points. The ending was pure genius. Maybe best of last year.

Care to help me out here?

Seen 8/10 and voted for EEAAO, more by default than anything. (I enjoyed it, but wouldnā€™t go much beyond calling it ā€œgoodā€).

Iā€™ll wait until I see the other two before making this official, but I think this might be the worst BP lineup in modern history.

I liked EEAAO but agree it was merely good. The final 1/3 is a mess and Iā€™m also a bit biased against movies about punching and kicking. Still, a cool movie. Glad I saw it.

I am not a big fan of trying to convince people their subjective experience was wrong. That said, the ending was a perfect summation of the movies main themes and subverts the expectations given the third act. It also has the classic ambiguity that makes for the best endings allowing the viewer to impose their subjective experience of the film rather than being forced to adhere to the filmmakers.

1 Like

Fair points.

Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m not usually a fan of that (and I wasnā€™t here either), but that actually wasnā€™t my main complaint.

They were on/near a resort area the whole time? Thatā€™s absurd. They couldnā€™t hear anything? No one bothered to look around? They didnā€™t see any lights when it was dark outside? It was clearly close enough for some dude to come over and try to sell typical tourist trap shit.

1 Like

My wife and I started watching Elvis yesterday.

What an exhausting movie. Why the fuck would Luhrman think 2:45 of ANYTHING he does is a good idea? We stopped about 50 minutes in just completely spent by the nonstop camera fuckery in that movie.

1 Like

Agree that Creed III was very enjoyable. The main story brought almost all of the necessary ā€œRockyā€ franchise vibes. I also appreciated that while it ultimately boiled down to two dudes punching each other in the face, it added some really cool character development around Tessa Thompson and the daughter.

For example, my crowd was pretty engaged as well, but I think the biggest reactions was whenMichael B showed up in costume for the tea party

Itā€™s absurdist satire. Reality is not its goal.

It took me awhile to get comfortable with his style, but I did come out liking that movie by the end, despite the whatever the fuck that was performance from Tom Hanks.

It certainly got better after the first 20 minutes, but its just a million fast cuts one after the other. Almost no scene has any time to breath.

Speaking of face slaps, I watched Chris Rockā€™s lastest special on Netflix.

He did his bit on Smith at the end and some of the jokes were a bit predictable if youā€™ve seen his old material but I thought it was terrific. Well fucking done.

Iā€™m gonna watch Creed II just to get ready for it. I loved the original by Ryan Coogler of Black Panther and Fruitville Station fame.

And now part III has what might be our next legitimate movie star: Jonathan Majors

This is the guy that played Kang in Loki and now everything else MCU. Literally impossible to take your eyes off him when heā€™s on screen.