Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Probably my favorite noir and I’ve watched a LOT of them.

1 Like

It’s so good!!!

And Fred MacMurray is a true badass. Defeated throat cancer in the 70s, a stroke and leukemia in the 80s, and then finally said he’d done enough in 1991 at the ripe age of 83. He made his first movie in 1929.

He’ll always be Flubber to me :love_letter:

1 Like

Yeah it’s still pretty wild to step out my door in Redondo Beach and see snow-caps. That’s never happened that I remember.

Here’s my video of the mountains from last Sunday morning, no long lens tricks:

https://i.imgur.com/anDTCfy.mp4

2 Likes

Plot twist movie: Everyone loses their minds and turns into lunatic zombies. Our heroes move around and kill thousands of zombies. At the end of the movie it turns our our heroes were the ones that went insane and went on a massive killing spree of normal people they thought were zombies. Pay me $10 million now please.

1 Like

So it’s Ghostbusters meets The Sixth Sense?

This is a pretty natural follow up to an explosion of zombie shows. The same we have endured so many “super heroes but they’re bad” content following all the super hero content. “Zombies but they’re the good guys” would be a more direct creative heir.

I Am Legend (the book) has entered the chat

1 Like

Damn this is good after all!!! Thank you.

It has no shot at winning best picture, but I see what I was missing.

2 Likes

I Zombie was OK for fans of the Veronica Mars vibe.

Y’all I fear I’ll get insta banned for asking this but…

Is it possible Sidekicks is better than the Karate Kid?

I’m rewatching it now and it’s just awesome. First of all, Jonathan Brandis RIP. Then there are all of the Chuck Norris movie recreations with Jonathan’s character imagining himself at the center next to Norris, sort of like Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.

But through hard work, dedication, and self-defense techniques that aren’t hidden inside riddles worthy of Batman, our protagonist learns how to kick butt!

Then there’s the fact that the movie includes Chuck Norris himself. The character, not the real person.

And for my closing argument, I remind you that only one of these movies co-stars Winnie from Wonder Years.

Here’s the whole movie.

The meta-aspects are certainly more ambitious.

1 Like

Had a dad moment today. Drove my son and his friend to the movie theater so they could see Cocaine Bear. I bought the tickets online and had to go into the theater with them to swipe my credit card. Got the tickets, bought them snacks, and walked them to the ticket taker. Lo and behold, he wouldn’t let them in if I didn’t go in with them (he was the manager, not some teenager or college student).

So I bought a ticket and watched Cocaine Bear with my son and his buddy.

https://twitter.com/ScottSeiss/status/1628771185571024896?t=vqBPYf4yZU8xGsPiXy4G0g&s=19

6 Likes

Stunt Woman

How cool is Michelle Yeoh? So cool that she stars in a biopic of her own life. Stunt Woman very loosely follows Yeoh’s career as a woman breaking into the Hong Kong movie industry, with Sammo Hung as her mentor. I don’t think I’d recommend this one mostly because the story sort of doesn’t know if it’s trying to be a slice of life drama, a monster movie, or an action movie. On the plus side, it’s got some really weirdly-shot scenes that I liked. There’s one long shot that’s made to look like a mockumentary that suddenly breaks into a kung-fu scene.

In real life, Yeoh broke a vertebrae doing a stunt for this, which made it hard for me to watch.

Minhaj then enjoyed an extended run of savage jokes about the industry trade website Deadline, declaring it a “journalistic piece of s—” and saying it was “half gossip, half Ezra Miller crime tracker,” prompting loud gasps from the audience.

Lol

1 Like

Man, Police Story 3 totally rules.

Watched Yesterday on my long plane ride. Very enjoyable.

1 Like

I watched Cell last night. Dumb zombie-ish movie like I expected. But entertaining enough.

3 Likes

I’m curious to know which of the Oscar nominees would be this place’s choice, so here’s a poll.

Out of the BP nominees you’ve seen, which one do you like best ?
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Elvis
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • The Fabelmans
  • Tár
  • Top Gun: Maverick
  • Triangle of Sadness
  • Women Talking

0 voters

Who’s gonna win ? Who’s gonna lose ?

(my personal ranking of the 4 I’ve seen is Fabelmans ~ TGM >> Avatar >>>>> eeaao. I voted for Spielberg but I may change it later if Top Gun needs a swing vote)

Hadn’t seen this specific brilliant idea before

A seat has cost the same no matter where it is or when it is bought.

No more.

As they struggle in a fast-changing business, multiplex operators — some carrying astounding debt because of pandemic shutdowns — have started to experiment with pricing in ways that have startled moviegoers. AMC Entertainment, the world’s largest cinema chain, is testing “sightline” pricing, giving seats at evening screenings different costs depending on their location. (Discounts of $1 to $2 for the neck-craning front row, increases of $1 to $2 for the center middle, status quo for the rest.) Chains have also started to charge more on opening weekends for expected blockbusters like “The Batman” and “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” with plans to ramp up the practice.

On the bright side,

Prices may actually be going down for certain types of movies — ones that have struggled to attract ticket buyers in the streaming age, including comedies, conventional dramas and art films. Last month, theaters lowered opening-weekend prices for the octogenarian comedy “80 for Brady” to attract value-sensitive older customers.