Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

EEAAO is currently about a -1200 favorite on betting sites. It’s a 1 horse race.

2 Likes

I started it and even having seen the trailer it’s already nothing like what I expected.

Only thing I’ll mention is that watching it on Hulu means this BP nominee is frequently interrupted by ad breaks wtf. Now that’s irritatin’.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/YellowishVariableKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

I am rooting for all of you who made it through Banshees.

2 Likes

Made it through? I loved Banshees. Its a great film

1 Like

I need to try it again.

Third times the charm. I just couldn’t get into it.

It’s a me thing for sure.

I was today years old when it dawned on me that in Caddyshack - Judge Smalls’ nephew Spaulding is named after a golf ball.

I was today years old when I got this joke from Castaway wtf

This was awesome!!!

Triangle of Sadness is easily the second place favorite, but there’s no way it will or should defeat Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.

This has to be shot with one of those trick or telephoto lenses right? The snow covered mountains are much farther behind the Hollywood sign than they appear here.

1 Like

I want to see it. I liked EEAAO and really liked Banshees, so not sure if we line up or not, in terms of preferences :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, the perspective is definitely exaggerated. But snow covered and capped hills have been visible throughout the LA area this week - feels like Colorado.

Here’s another shot stolen from Reddit

2 Likes

It’s a real photo that was taken from much farther out on the water.

In this picture, behind that sign is Burbank, with Universal Studios, Warner Bros and Disney Studios. Behind that is the Verdugo Mountains (not very high and not snow capped).

Then, there is another valley (Sunland, Tujunga, La Crescenta)

Then, finally you get to the snowcapped (at the moment) San Gabriel Mountains starting about 10 miles behind the sign (from this perspective)

The photographer is Brent Broza. Website is here and IG is @brozaphoto

2 Likes

What did you like about Banshees?

I mean for real if you can just bring me into it.

Yeah I saw this one too, I think also on Reddit? And the sign in this one looks even closer to the mountains lol

You know it’s some tricksy stuff because it’s all in focus, at least that’s what the reddit people who sounded like they were into photography kept saying

1 Like

I liked the setting, clothing, and atmosphere. Ireland is so beautiful. I liked not knowing what level things were on with the cutting off fingers. Like, I didn’t know if we were going horror or sci fi or just straight up period piece with the main mystery. I liked the two very different views on what a good life amounts to on display with the two main characters.

IDK. It was cozy, had a bit of a mystery, and then some hand waving around at some interesting philosophical questions.

1 Like

And here’s how we see it most of the time

2 Likes

I appreciate you.

I’m gonna try it again. Sometimes I just need to have a few concrete details from someone else’s experience to help me frame the movie while I watch it.

1 Like

On Turner Classic Movies, beginning right now, Double Indemnity.

3 Likes

This movie is very popular in my profession because it contains the earliest (as far as I know) pop culture reference to the actuarial profession.

1 Like

This was one of my mom and grandpa’s favorites. Might be why I became obsessed with the genre for a while. Don’t know how many times I watched it with them.