Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Little bit of movie trivia I learned today

What classic film was nominated for two razzies in 1985? (Worst Original Score, and Worst Original Song which Freddie Mercury was nominated)

Metropolis

1 Like

Lol I had the same experience watching “duel in the sun” last year. I skipped it but it was confusing.
I wonder if audiences of the time were really ceremoniously listening to the music or if they were chatting like we do during the commercials.

1 Like

The Overture was basically the vastly superior predecessor to the current entertainment industry pablum and previews that we are obligated to endure before we get to watch our movies.

2 Likes

In the early days of cinema, people used to go to the theater for hours and watch a mix of things like newsreels, cartoons, and feature films. overtures and intermissions were opportunities to use the restroom or get snacks.

1 Like

LOL what?

When my late mother was a little girl in the 1930s, she and her younger brother would go to the movies on Saturday afternoon for much of the day, seeing at least two features as well as newsreels and cartoons.

3 Likes

I have the movie 2012 on while I’m doing some work. It’s a completely ridiculous popcorn flick, but the sequence when John Cusack and his family escape the house in the limo and then escape L.A. in a little plane is pretty fucking great.

3 Likes

That’s a great one.

Some would say it was Roland Emmerich’s last good movie.

If you want some recs for after!

https://medium.com/transgender-soapbox/survival-tips-for-five-end-of-the-world-scenarios-5e275468581f?sk=fe4b5acfd46ae26927eeacb38cb117b5

1 Like

Speaking of Roland Emmerich, this is some real life day after tomorrow shit

4 Likes

Apparently Women Talking is coming to Amazon Prime next Wednesday, so it will be nice to be able to see that before Oscar night.

1 Like

So yeah…copying from wikipedia

Giorgio Moroder version (1984)[edit]

In 1984, a new restoration and edit of the film, running 83 minutes, was made by Italian music producer Giorgio Moroder, who paid $200,000 for the rights, outbidding his Cat People collaborator David Bowie.[2][83] Although Moroder initially intended only to create a new soundtrack, he was surprised by the lack of a definitive print, and expanded his project to a major reconstruction. Moroder’s version, which was made in consultation with the Munich Film Archive and their archivist, Enno Patalas,[2] was tinted to emphasise the different moods and locations in the film. It also featured additional special effects, replaced intertitles of character dialogue with subtitles and incorporated a soundtrack featuring songs Moroder composed, produced and recorded with popular artists such as Freddie Mercury, Bonnie Tyler, Pat Benatar, Adam Ant and Jon Anderson. It was the first serious attempt made at restoring Metropolis to Lang’s original vision, and until the restorations in 2001 and 2010, it was the most complete version of the film commercially available. The shorter run time was due to the extensive use of subtitles for spoken lines instead of title cards, a faster frame rate than the original, and the fact that large amounts of footage were still missing at the time.

Moroder’s version of Metropolis generally received poor reviews. Moroder responded to the critics who lambasted his production for not being faithful to the original in The New York Times : “I didn’t touch the original because there is no original.”[2] The film was nominated for two Raspberry Awards, Worst Original Song for “Love Kills” and Worst Musical Score for Moroder.[84] However, Bonnie Tyler was nominated for Grammy Award for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance at the 27th Grammy Awards for “Here She Comes”.[85]

In August 2011, after years of the Moroder version being unavailable on video in any format due to music licensing problems, it was announced that Kino International had managed to resolve the situation, and the film was to be released on Blu-ray and DVD in November. In addition, the film enjoyed a limited theatrical re-release.[86]

In 2012, the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films gave “Giorgio Moroder Presents Metropolis” a Saturn Award for Best DVD/Blu-Ray Special Edition Release.[87]

Soundtrack track list

No. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length
1. “Love Kills” (Freddie Mercury) * Giorgio Moroder
  • Freddie Mercury|Moroder - Mercury - Reinhold Mack|4:29|
    |2.|“Here’s My Heart” (Pat Benatar)|* Moroder
  • Pete Bellotte|Moroder - Neil Geraldo|4:54|
    |3.|“Cage of Freedom” (Jon Anderson)|* Moroder
  • P. Bellotte|Moroder|4:40|
    |4.|“Blood from a Stone” (Cycle V [aka Frank Dimino])|* Moroder
  • P. Bellotte|Moroder|3:37|
    |5.|“The Legend of Babel” (Giorgio Moroder)|* Moroder
  • P. Bellotte|Moroder|3:55|
    |6.|“Here She Comes” (Bonnie Tyler)|* Moroder
  • P. Bellotte|Moroder|3:48|
    |7.|“Destruction” (Loverboy)|* Moroder
  • P. Bellotte|* Moroder
  • Paul Dean|4:09|
    |8.|“On Your Own” (Billy Squier)|* Moroder
  • B. Squier|Moroder|4:09|
    |9.|“What’s Going On” (Adam Ant)|* Moroder
  • P. Bellotte|Moroder|3:49|
    |10.|“Machines” (Giorgio Moroder)|Moroder|Moroder|4:11|

Here is that version for what it’s worth

Can’t help but wonder what the Bowie version would have looked like.

But watched the 2010 version last night. Liked it more than when I watched the 2001 version without the lost footage.

2 Likes

Reminds me years ago, I wanted to watch Murnau’s Faust and I could only find either a high quality restored version with a weird and very distracting 80s electronic soundtrack, or one with a standard score but shitty visuals. That was a tough decision (I don’t remember what I chose).

Heh

But just to be clear the youtube of Metropolis I posted is the weird and very distracting 80s electronic soundtrack, but also with shitty visuals. Metropolis is high on the list of movies you leave in black and white.

2 Likes

Random video that came across my YouTube feed:

2 Likes

Really hoping these films are good, because this is shaping up to be a possible WOAT set of BP nominees.

1 Like

Operation Fortune was a fun movie

Triangle of Sadness queued up looks amazing

1 Like

Everyone should just fold now that they’re up against Everything Everywhere All At Once

1 Like

Plan to watch that either tonight or tomorrow morning. Know nothing about it; hope it’s good.

1 Like

It seems like a 2 (maybe 3) horse race heading into the last week.

I’ve got EEAAO slightly over Banshees

1 Like