Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Most of the time “based on the actual files” is the kiss of death, but this looks awesome. The trailer alone was worth whatever they paid to make the movie.

1 Like

Holy hell this John Waters fellow made some movies that I am simply not prepared for.

I don’t think I’m old enough to watch John Waters movies.

1 Like

Omg is this your first time discovering John Waters?

Random movie trivia I just found out today: Barkhad Abdi improvised the famous “I’m the captain now” line in Captain Phillips. Legend.

1 Like

That’s awesome!!!

He was in another fun thriller at sea movie in 2017 too.

A family stranded on an island in the Bahamas believe it is being rescued by two fishermen but come to realize it is being held hostage until it hands over $1 million.

Yes. I feel like I’m not supposed to be watching his movies.

1 Like

Currently watching Moonfall. It’s kinda shit.

Are you enjoying them??? You gotta check out both versions of Hairspray.

For the role of the mother, the first one stars Divine, the inspiration (but not the voice) of Ursula.

The remake stars none other than John Travolta in the same role.

Yeah. If you want a Waters movie that isnt completely fucking insane, Hairspray is the way to go

Yes but mostly I feel scared and traumatized, like I’ve just walked in on my parents having sex.

1 Like

Maybe you meant to watch Moonraker?

1 Like

Oh man that movie is terrible. But that really shouldn’t come as a surprise tbh. Listen to the How Did This Get Made episode about it after you watch.

1 Like

I was all like, “The end of this movie is just like Independence Day.”

And sure enough, same director.

1 Like

The idea is kind of interesting in a whacked-out, “come on, man” sci-fi kind of way, but the acting and dialogue are terrible, the green screen sucks most of the time (inside the moon is decent), and all the outdoor shit you can tell was just a tiny set.

Also, the big reveal was just a big exposition dump. Could have dropped hints or built up to it a little.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Just listened and it was fantastic.

2 Likes

Yeah it was a good one, I may listen again. I remember the Lexus stuff being especially lol because it was so overt in the movie.

lol (spoilers I guess):

1 Like

I will not stand for this blasphemy.

Yes, Roland Emerich has made a half dozen absolute stinkers, but the rest of his filmography is nothing but bangers.

ETA: Man that’s like half the list LOL okay but those bangers!

I mean, his movies are what they are. Moonfall, 2012, etc are not supposed to be good, are they? I sure hope not. But I greatly enjoyed watching and mercilessly mocking both of them. Although wtf is Stonewall doing in there, should I see that?

1 Like

No.

This form of straightwashing is clearest in the case of Stonewall (2015), which erased renowned activists and transgender women of color Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera, even as it promised to share the story of “the untold heroes” of the Stonewall riots.

Instead, director Roland Emmerich created a cis, white, masculine-presenting gay man named Danny Winters to lead the riots and throw the first brick.

Roland himself is proudly and loudly gay, but changing this was a bad call.

2 Likes