Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I will say it’s the most realistic science fiction movie perhaps ever.

Except the whole windstorm thing?

Totally legit. They exaggerated speed is all.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/the-fact-and-fiction-of-martian-dust-storms

Isn’t a “wind storm” just a storm?

Not sure if clever or sincere

Nah, I might have posted this elsewhere but I wasn’t into that movie.

1 Like

Ah! Well it was a good pun nevertheless

There was something something something that it wouldn’t carry enough material with enough force to cause anywhere near the damage.

I’m not invested enough to look it up.

Yes. The wind wouldn’t likely have the force to tear apart the equipment.

If that’s the inaccuracy it’s still the most realistic sci fit film ever.

1 Like

I loved the growing food part. Not certain about the actual amount of sunlight.

He got the moisture content of Martian soil completely wrong, but science didn’t discover that until after he’d written the book.

I didn’t think Smile was very good at all and I’ve been loving this horror resurgence that’s taken place over the past 8 years or so (probably beginning with It Follows, The Witch and The Babadook).

Smile relied a lot on jump scares and characters making braindead decisions. I didn’t rush out to see the movie because I heard the director was a big fan of jump scares and I can’t stand them, just a lazy excuse not to have to write something scary and atmospheric. However the reviews were good so I caved and watched it at home and yep, it was everything I dislike about horror.

The cinematography was good and the acting was above average for a horror flick but it was very derivative of better films such as It Follows and The Ring.

Also, a broader thought on the state of horror… it is time to dial back the trope of horror being a metaphor for grief/mental illness/dementia. It was a nice turn at first and none did it better than The Babadook but it is so played out in 2023.

Watched Searching based on the high recommendations from this thread, and unfortunately, the movie completely lost me about 2 seconds in, when it zoomed in on a screen window.

Feels like such a bad stylistic choice, and while it may be more realistic to how our brain works while we’re using a computer, it’s so much less interesting to watch than the Unfriended style of a fixed laptop screen (and 90 mins in real time, although I think this part is slightly less crucial).

This was still entertaining enough I guess that I was never bored, although some parts were really stupid, like the whole brother plot (the dad would always have read all of the daughter’s messages long before that point, and the brother would have come clean too), but the final twist (starting with the “stock photo” reveal) was silly enough to make it fun.

Anyway I’m still curious about Missing and will probably check it out at some point (the description above about it being different due to being a young protagonist is intriguing). But again I feel like a “full screen” edit would drastically change my appreciations of these movies. (and they should get rid of the news broadcasts too, they suck and break the first person identification).

And I’ll reiterate my recommendation for Unfriended : dark web, the right way to do these kind of movies imo !

1 Like

Disagree with everybody you said but that’s a good review :+1:

2 Likes

If my kids didn’t already have the B’nai Mitzvahs, I would’ve shown this instead of a “this is your life” slideshow:

https://twitter.com/BeyondFest/status/1628150857635364864

5 Likes

Own a piece of cinema history (aka buy butt plugs for charity)!

I checked out the Better Call Saul auction a few months ago and boy, things got REALLY pricey. Even the little nothing props nobody cares about went for hundreds.

EDIT: There are only 15 items in this auction and most are pretty iconic. Prices won’t even be in the realm of possibility.

Yeah, I don’t think I’ll buy anything, but will probably dip in near the end just to see what things went for, maybe grab something silly if the price seems really low.

I never would have considered railing an auction, but I might rail this one too.