Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Yeah, I think it holds up well and was really perfectly executed for what it was.

People need to sometimes just learn how to enjoy movies.

1 Like

Ahhhhhh you know I have loved almost everything heā€™s done since Secondhand Lions, just did not expect yā€™all to be familiar with his bearded filmography era. I will not underestimate you again.

1 Like

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

1 Like

I havenā€™t rewatched FG since I was 10 but the ā€œMichael and usā€ podcast had a recentish episode about it where they discuss this at length. Iirc youā€™re right that most of the complaints were about things surrounding the Jenny character, and for instance the fact that they describe political activism as just another aspect of her ā€œlost girlā€ behavior (to be compared with the good old common sense values of the main character).

I agree that basing enjoyment of movies purely on ideology is silly (and a lot of movies I love have bad politics), but I also think itā€™s pretty important to recognize political bias when itā€™s there in mass culture.
When itā€™s something like ā€œTop Gunā€ itā€™s so obvious it barely matters, but for ā€œForrest Gumpā€ itā€™s much more insidious, as it presents itself as naive and apolitical while (allegedly) pushing a reactionary worldview.

Did none of you watch The Boys? He even played a former child actor/star in that one (with beard of course)

I think the point of them rattling off random stuff heā€™s been in over the last twenty years was to say theyā€™ve seen The Boys and everything else heā€™s been in with a beard.

2 Likes

Need Keaton Batman to say letā€™s get nuts.

2 Likes

Best I can guarantee is a cameo from George or Lego Batman

Not just movies.

Ugh, The Flash is my fav, but DC movies suck ass and Ezra is such a mess. I guess I have to see this but Iā€™m not happy about it. Still donā€™t know why they canā€™t bring in the actors from the CW shows.

1 Like

I hear you Trolly but the trailer looks impossibly good. And while I havenā€™t enjoyed everything James Gunn made, the dude says this had to be released because itā€™s one of the greatest superhero movies ever made.

And like I canā€™t stress this enough but this was directed by AndrĆ©s Muschietti. This was his last movie.

The Flash is going to be a 10/10.

https://twitter.com/filmindublin/status/1625520166976032771

1 Like

The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014)

A masked maniac terrorizes the same small community where a murderer known as the Phantom Killer struck decades earlier.

I have turned off a lot of movies for being terrible but this is one of the few I turned off because the horror is simply too intense.

I stopped it during the first attack because it was just too much, then thought well a lot of movies will have a single incredibly intense scene and then the rest is waiting for that intensity again in the final moments of the movie.

But nope, this movie moves into a sex scene that makes it clear every moment of this movie will pull no punches.

This is a meta sequel to a 1976 movie of the same name. I shudder to think how intense this is as a 70s experience.

The story was also told in the movie Sundown (2022).

Just learned that BP nominee Triangle of Sadness will be on Hulu starting March 3.

1 Like

Hell yeah!!!

Also saw as of yesterday Netflix is now streaming The Woman King

Iā€™ve been thinking about signing up for AMC A-list for a while, now that Iā€™m going to movies more regularly again.

I finally did it today, and essentially broke even after one purchase. The monthly membership is $24.95 in New York. The cost of my matinee ticket was $16.39, and I also saved $7.96 on online ticket fees (for an order of four tickets). So I just need $0.60 more in value to get in the green, which will probably happen when I buy concessions.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good purchase if you go to the theater imo

Yesterday, AMC announced that it would be rolling out a new system for buying tickets at its theaters called ā€œSightline at AMC,ā€ which I find to be a mildly dystopian name (shouldnā€™t every seat at the theater have a decent sightline?). Sightline will divide every theater into three distinct sections. Quoting here from AMCā€™s announcement:

ā€¢Standard Sightline ā€“ these seats are the most common in auditoriums and are available for the traditional cost of a ticket

ā€¢Value Sightline ā€“ these seats are in the front row of the auditorium, as well as select ADA seats in each auditorium, and are available at a lower price than Standard Sightline seats. Value Sightline pricing is only available to AMC Stubs members, including the free tier membership ā€“ AMC Insider.Sightline is rolling out to select theaters in New York, Chicago, and Kansas City this week and will theoretically be available in all U.S. theaters by the end of the year.

ā€¢Preferred Sightline ā€“ these seats are typically in the middle of the auditorium and are priced at a slight premium to Standard Sightline seats. As an added benefit to AMCā€™s most loyal moviegoers, AMC Stubs A-List members may make reservations in the Preferred Sightline Section at no additional cost.

Yeah I get A-List in Boston. Only need to go to 1ish IMax or 1.5 regulars a month. Very worth it.

Steven Spielbergā€™s Duel is the goddamn Citizen Kane of made-for-TV-movies, I donā€™t think it gets enough recognition.

4 Likes