Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Extremely good. I think this movie got released at the worst possible time in movie history and it got kind of slept on. People were not ready for the idea of seeing new releases streaming at home instead of at theaters.

Heh, I saw the OG Invisible Man a few weeks ago, that movie slaps.

1 Like

Lol wow you really get into the classics!!! Nice very nice.

So one on end of movie adaptations we have the excellent Invisible Man 1933 and then again in 2020.

Right in the middle we have this Verhoven attempt that’s not exactly good but can’t stop Kevin Bacon from sizzling.

And on the absolute terrible end of the spectrum are the ones with Chevy Chase and Bill Cosby.

I love Hollow Man despite it being pretty objectively bad

2 Likes

Same! I mean it’s got Kevin Bacon cheesing it up as a villain. And Elizabeth Shue! You can’t “hate” a movie with that combo.

1 Like

Can almost guarantee it’s not the movie you think it is. It certainly wasn’t what I expected.

1 Like
2 Likes

The character design for the original Invisible Man really was underrated. I wonder if it was the inspiration for Rorschach.

invisible1

Hyped

If you’re at all a fan of horror, Stephen King, Tim Curry, and the many incarnations of IT, this is a must see documentary. It came out in 2021 but now is streaming for free pretty much everywhere, even YouTube.

Unlike some of the best modern documentaries, this is not in itself a reality show narrative waiting for the nail to drop. It’s a retrospective with WOW!!! old footage of Stephen King and everyone else throughout the years all the way up until now (including Tim Curry!!), with a lot of them opening up in recent interviews about what went right with the adaptation and what went wrong.

1 Like

You’ve Got Mail is a legitimately dumb movie. Tom Hanks is such a douche Also I think they edited out all the AOL screens and noises. So lame. That was the best part.

The movie is notable in that it’s the first time I remember seeing NYC portrayed as this picture-perfect land of brownstones and lighted trees. In the 70s NYC was always portrayed as a hell hole. Then it slowly got less gritty, culminating in You’ve Got Mail.

https://twitter.com/NYMammoths/status/1624390991498051584

Holy shit. Did they just crib the whole movie?

Basically yes. That is why they had to buy the rights.

I always thought it was a mishmash spoof on the Airport movies.

I’ve seen it a million times and will see it a million times more, but sigh yep. This movie has not aged well. I think Tom Hanks is one of the only reasons it works. Otherwise, it would be too obvious that his character is such a douche.

https://medium.com/@TransgenderSoapbox/youve-got-mail-s-secret-twist-ending-trying-and-failing-to-save-a-gaslighting-villain-d73917b3834b?sk=6368a56a6a22550bff0221d967b23e72

1 Like

Yep. He got a big fat insurance policy on her and then killed her and got away with it just as Amazon drove his book company out of business.

1 Like

Dave Franco follows up his horror-based directorial debut The Retreat with a comedy that I can best describe as a more mature version of the Charlize Theron and Patton Oswalt-led Young Adult.

This time, Franco delivers a note-perfect movie co-written with his frequent collaborator Alison Brie, who includes a lmao streaking scene if you need a reminder that Annie was an act.

The movie reunites Alison Brie and Danny Pudi (Community). Amazing to see Danny playing such an incredibly different dynamic with his old co-star.

Also costars Kiersey Clemons, who additionally will feature as the queer (they/them) co star of the much-maligned upcoming The Flash.

https://twitter.com/StephMagister/status/1622388064923570176?s=20&t=rciLRobUA2v8WJ-XxIS0Og

But perhaps the biggest surprise cameo among many is the kid from the Sixth Sense all grown up and with a big fucking Moses beard!!

Osmet was rocking the beard back in the final season of Silicon Valley too

1 Like

Osmet also had whiskers in the Entourage movie. Had a big part in that too

1 Like

Speaking of THanks we rewatched Forrest Gump for the first time in probably 20+ years for me. Really good and really held up. Was interesting to read the wikipedia page and the criticism was that FG was “conservative” which I didn’t really think of at the time… thoughts? Only thing that jumped out was him blithely describing the klan to the black nurse on the bench in the beginning which was um not the best.

Obviously the real problem with the movie is that Jenny really sucks the whole time but everyone knows that/thats the common complaint.