Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I think I’ve seen Kiss the Girls. I’m not sure, though, since I also thought I had seen Along Came a Spider, but I didn’t remember any of it when I watched it last weekend. I was also confusing the Alex Cross character with Denzel Washington’s character in The Bone Collector. (I asked my wife, is this the one about the paralyzed detective?)

Maybe I will try Kiss the Girls, since Along Came a Spider was entertaining enough (what I like to think the NBC mystery movie of the week would have been like) but not so enthralling that we couldn’t make fun of it while we were watching it.

I’ve also seen the very bad Alex Cross movie starring Matthew Fox of Lost fame.

1 Like

In movies, nudity is often gratuitous and isn’t adding anything to the story beyond titillating people who can’t help but see someone naked and think “sex sex sex sex sex.” It’s not right or wrong, just an emergent effect of how strongly connected so many people are to their sexual feelings.

For that same reason, some directors are hesitant to put any nudity in even a great movie like Nomadland.

It’s been a minute since I saw it, but my recollection is the scene described was a depiction of personal vulnerability in a context rarely depicted on screen.

That’s the one with Tyler Perry!!! LOLOLOLOLOL

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1622803612685717504?s=46&t=5VuXitOvZXjrWpAlHfz2OA

2 Likes

Aren’t your kids a little old for that?

2 Likes

old school

https://twitter.com/mccrabb_will/status/1622441800412839943

vs new school

https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/1622692875573297153

alghough tbh I don’t think I ever notice (for instance the clearly different cigarette) in real time on a laptop, and probably not on a big screen either. Just find it surprising that in a relatively high-profile movie they would use stock footage like this.

potentially an issue with coverage. meaning they didn’t get that shot on the day for whatever reason (perhaps because they hadn’t even considered that as a shot they wanted), and then when they were editing it they realized they wanted a different opening shot than what they had. it’s not like it would have been expensive for them to recreate that shot if they had wanted to.

makes sense, I read the interview mentioned in that twitter post and it’s not very informative bc the person wasn’t involved with this decision, but they mention that there was something completely different planned for the opening shot.

I’d be curious to know if this is becoming a wide-spread practice, and how much the fact that movies are mostly seen on streaming now alters the decision-making (when movies are produced for smaller screens and ppl paying less attention, being a perfectionist makes less and less sense)

Movies use and reuse tons and tons of stock footage regardless of budget.

I caution you against this rabbit hole. Once seen, you cannot unsee.

1 Like
2 Likes

I found a “Wilhelm Scream” t-shirt at Goodwill for dlk9s jr. He’s one of the only ones in his school who gets it, but that “inside joke” is entertaining to him.

1 Like

This is not a drill!!

Edge of Tomorrow is now streaming on HBO.

4 Likes

I recently watched American Hustle and it straight up sucks.

1 Like

Why are you watching anything by David O Russell

You can shit all over this one and whatever else you want

2013 incident

According to Salon, in the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack, it was revealed that Russell made Amy Adams’ life “a living hell” during the production of American Hustle, and Christian Bale intervened. Salon reported that, in an email to Sony chief Michael Lynton, journalist Jonathan Alter said: “He grabbed one guy by the collar, cursed out people repeatedly in front of others and so abused Amy Adams that Christian Bale got in his face and told him to stop acting like an asshole.”

Adams confirmed the story in a 2016 British GQ interview stating, “He was hard on me, that’s for sure. It was a lot … I was really just devastated on set”. She also added she wouldn’t want to work with the director again.[105] Adams also explained, “Jennifer [Lawrence] doesn’t take any of it on. She’s Teflon. And I am not Teflon. But I also don’t like to see other people treated badly. It’s not OK with me.”

And for this shit to hit me too close to home:

Sexual misconduct allegation

In December 2011, Russell’s 19-year-old transgender niece, Nicole Peloquin, filed a police report alleging Russell had sexually assaulted her.[107] The case was closed without any charges being filed because the alleged assault wasn’t witnessed by police.[108] According to the police report, Russell offered to help Peloquin with abdominal exercises, during which his hand hovered above her genitals. After inquiring about the hormones she used to increase breast size, Russell slipped his hands under her shirt and felt both breasts.

Russell confirmed that the incident happened, but told police that Peloquin was “acting very provocative toward him” and invited him to feel her breasts. He also admitted to being “curious about the breast enhancement.” This incident was also directly mentioned in the 2014 Sony Pictures hack.[109]

Sweet. I’ve wanted to show it to my kids, but the only place I found it for “free” was BBC America and the broadcast looked like it had motion smoothing on.

1 Like

Should I watch Tar?

Pros: Cate Blanchett, well reviewed

Con: probably depressing AF

1 Like

It’s excellent if you like this kind of movie.

Might be enough complex triggers to keep you engaged even if you don’t usually like this kind of movie.

Tar was the best horror film of the year imo.

1 Like

What did you think of the recent Invisible Man?