Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Never seen it and with your blessing never will. Someone told me it has a great Jim Carrey performance.

It’s an adaptation of my favorite novel (A Prayer for Owen Meany), and it’s so bad that the author (John Irving) refused to have his name associated with it. Probably my most disappointing film experience ever. It’s unforgivable.

1 Like

That book was required reading in one of my high school English classes. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s banned now.

1 Like

Oh shit I didn’t know it was an adaptation of a John Irving novel. Sorry to hear that.

Fan also of The World According to Garp? I have been meaning to dig into it as an essential pieces of trans cinema history.

But I’ve shamefully never read Irving. I was working at Borders Books and Music when Until I Find You came out.

Group Captain, the officer exchange program does not give you any special prerogatives to question my orders

If you’re looking for some short films that satisfy:

https://medium.com/translating-everything/17-incredibly-short-transgender-short-films-3eeb866a41a3?sk=d74c35e618b705098789195b2bc10328

The Menu

9/10

A great horror movie if you turn down the logical part of your brain just a bit and go with the 1% surreal part. If you liked the Bear or chef and foodie based shows, then you’ll enjoy it.

3 Likes

Yes, but moreso the book than the movie. I’ve read the book several times, but only saw the movie once. And I haven’t done either for at least 20 years, so I don’t really recall how the book/movie presented the trans character. I think it was a positive representation, but honestly I didn’t have any appreciation of trans issues at the time so even if I did have a better recollection, I wouldn’t trust then-me’s judgment.

1 Like

I understand. I used to laugh at Ace Ventura. It’s a growing process.

https://twitter.com/db_witch/status/1616542940263862275

10 Likes

Whats the point of having a gun on a track up your sleeve if you have to push it down the track manually?

3 Likes

3 Likes

There were only fifteen episodes of Mr. Bean.

1 Like

You sound like you don’t understand how awesomeness works.

5 Likes

Just got back from this. It was way better than I expected. Solid thriller. Good twists. Fun ride. Great January movie.

Nice. Will be checking it out

1 Like

On the plus side, he managed to micro size rocket launchers, so he’s got that going for him.

Prisoners is on Netflix. This is directed by Dennis Villeneuve and has a great cast, including Hugh Jackman, Terrence Howard, Jake Gyllenhall, and Paul Dano. The premise is that the young daughters of Jackman and Terrence’s characters go missing on Thanksgiving, and Gyllenhall’s character is the detective assigned to the case. Jackman’s character, however, isn’t content to sit on the sidelines, and is willing to go to any lengths to find his daughter.

Overall, this is a very strong entry in the thriller genre. My wife noted how some of the most suspenseful scenes don’t have any score. It doesn’t quite rise to the level of genre standouts like Silence of the Lambs, and it’s a notch below Villneuve’s best works (Arrival, BR 2049, Sicario). But it’s still one of the better things to watch on Netflix right now, and I feel like it was somewhat overlooked when it came out.

1 Like

The legend.

To me, the best way to know whether Prisoners is going to be a 10/10 is whether the person loves to end a movie feeling completely emotionally exhausted.

Not satisfied. Exhausted. It’s a unique kind of payoff lol.

Would add too these are commanding performances from Gyllenhaal and Jackman.

Jackman shows that as much as I love Dougray Scott and what could have been if he’d walked away from Ever After, the X-Men franchise owes an enormous debt to the charm and talent of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.