Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

M三GAN: ReVelation5

5 Likes

My wife went on a FLDS binge a while back after I told her I was watching Under the Banner of Heaven she watched that documentary and I think there was another one that came out on Hulu and and the Sister Wives TV show. She told me she felt nauseous after watching the Netflix one because it was told in such a personal way.

2 M3G4N 2 Furious

10 Likes

|01001101|01100101|01100111|01100001|01101110|00100000|00001101|

The Taking of M3GAN 12E

5 Likes

numbers talk reminds me of the following :

in French “saw 6 (six)” is pronounced exactly as “saucisse” (sausage)

so right after the first Saw came out in 2005, the most popular French movie website made an April 1st joke post about how they already had a whole franchise planned, with in particular the 6th one “shot between Frankfurt and Strasbourg” (famous sausage names).

Joke was on them (on all of us really) when it turned out to be the rare film to indeed get 5 sequels in 5 years.

1 Like

M3AGAIN

6 Likes

The ninth movie should be (M三GAN)²

3 Likes

Goddamn that is actually pretty good

This one too. Almost a guarantee whatever the studio comes up with won’t compare to these parody titles.

It’s like the fake sequels at the end of 22 Jump Street, or the fake trailers in Tropical Thunder. Funny because they’re so good.

like 10% of population understands this.

Most of us will never fly fighter jets or swim side by side with space whales, but thanks to the magic of the movies we can still get close to living these experiences. Similarly, these days some back pain prevents me from spending too much time doing household chores, but I was pretty pumped to still be able to spend ~3 hours as if I was by watching
Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

(this was discussed recently itt when it got #1 on a critics all-time best poll, and is about a middle aged single mother spending her days doing chores and a little bit of sex work)

Rating : 5 bags (of potatoes, and 1 little knife with which you can peel them at the same time as the main character is doing it)

Jokes aside, this was very good. Someone on twitter said something like “this movie is so well-regarded because only people who would like it will actually watch it” and I think this is pretty accurate. Fair enough if the description makes it seem like you would never enjoy it, but if you believe there’s a chance you would and (this is a key part) manage to set aside 200 minutes to watch it uninterrupted with no distractions, it’s very likely that this will be an interesting experience for you. In any case personnally I’m very glad I did.

I thought the following quote from the New Yorker article posted by clovis upthread was pretty good :

This boredom—a boredom firmly fixed in space, time, and intention—is entirely different from the boredom I feel watching the strobing, spatially incoherent, slice-and-dice montage that dominates much of contemporary cinema

(Anyway… now back to watching the RRR bridge scene 10 times in a row…)

3 Likes

Are you French or French speaking? I’m currently learning French and have been trying to watch at least 1-2 French Movies a week to help my listening skills and would love some recs if so.

I’ve watched a good amount of films from well known people like Agnes Varda, Truffaut (getting to Bresson) and more current directors like Claire Denis, Julia Ducournau and Céline Sciamma, but these are all classics or breakthrough international directors. Would love some directors or films to explore. I will watch any genre, I was already going to give Jeanne Dielman a shot just haven’t had time (saw her movie La Captive which I really liked).

Also what’s that website if you don’t mind?

2 Likes

Is it sacrilege to say the end of Heat gets a little silly?

Amélie
La Vie d’Adèle
Les Intouchables
Le Dîner des Cons
Caché
Trois Couleurs (Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge)
Café de Flore (not the greatest film but it features the hilarious Quebec accent and you’ll wonder if you’re still listening to French)

1 Like

RFC to ban LFS?

2 Likes

ban

2 Likes

co-sign

2 Likes

Adding to the recs!

Revenge of the Musketeers (1994): Sophie Marceau as the daughter of the renowned swordsman D’Artagnan, she brings together the aging musketeers to oppose a plot to overthrow the King

Brotherhood of the Wolf: starring Mark Dacascos (The Crow: Stairway to Heaven, Iron Chef, John Wick), Monica Bellucci, and Vincent Cassel. The story takes place in 18th-century France, where the Chevalier de Fronsac and Mani of the Iroquois tribe are sent to investigate the mysterious slaughter of hundreds by an unknown creature in the province of Gévaudan. INCREDIBLE MARTIAL ARTS.

As well as some essential shorter lessons on conversational dialects.

You see? The French language is like wiping your ass with silk.