Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Check out Dawn Wall and, of course, Free Solo if you have not seen them.

1 Like

I watched Free Solo in a movie theater and it was pretty amazing. I think the moment when he makes that one particularly risky move with no support cables was the most intense moment Iā€™ve experienced in a theater. Just absolute silence from an audience, and everyone around me was super rigid and focused.

Free Solo is on Disney+ for home viewing.

3 Likes

Coincidentally, I started watching Cliffhanger last night. Not as realistic as Free Solo imo.

5 Likes

I thought The Menu was quite entertaining even though it didnā€™t have a deep or coherent message. It was funny that foodie guy didnā€™t know how to cook a basic dish. He shouldā€™ve just used a food processor for the shallots if his knife skills werenā€™t up to par. And sous vide the lamb. What he actually did doesnā€™t make much sense, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to performance anxiety.

I think that character is completely unhinged and has probably spent every night fantasizing what would happen if he ever actually cooked something.

This is what would happen. Itā€™s like if one of us tried to step outside this forum and ā€œwinā€ a televised presidential debate. Good lord imagining that one lol. Put me up first tho to set the low bar.

2 Likes

Climbing fans please watch the horror movie A Lonely Place to Die.

The opening scene of the trailer alone!!!

Got me thinking so hereā€™s some lists.

Movies about terrifying hiking and camping experiences

A Lonely Place to Die
The Devilā€™s Pass
Killing Ground
What Keeps You Alive
Rust Creek
Backcountry

I donā€™t know how Killing Ground ends. It got so unsettling I turned it off.

Movies that take place entirely on a computer or phone screen

Searching
The Den
Dashcam

Very different superhero movies
Mortal
Special
Super

2 Likes

yeah this movie is unbelievable and if you havenā€™t seen it you need to fix that immediately. just off the charts intensity.

1 Like

Just finished Cliffhanger. Itā€™s possibly the most ridiculous movie Iā€™ve ever seen. I can enjoy nonsense action movies - I love Commando for instance. This was definitely in that vein, although not as good. Lithgow is a good villain, and there were a lot of thrills. But many of the action scenes/deaths were lol over the top ridiculous. And again Iā€™m grading in the context of Commando.

1 Like

You are FINALLY ready for the greatest (only?) homage to Cliffhanger ever filmed.

1 Like

Finally saw Heat. Highly recommend (duh) for anyone who likes heist films.

5 Likes

watched Nope and mostly enjoyed it but was disappointed by the chimpanzee or the lady whose face was ripped off storyline not going anywhere.

3.5 bags

Edit: seem to agree with much of the discussion about it. visually impressive but the script was a mess

1 Like

That story was explaining why the MC thinks what he thinks about himself and why he thinks he is able to do what he does.

Looking at the chimp in the eyes got those people killed. The MC didnā€™t realize that because of the lip of the table cover blocking them from meeting each otherā€™s eyes.

Same thing happens with the UFO. He thinks heā€™s immune, but once he looks it in the eyesā€¦

1 Like

completely whiffed on this. going to look for it if I ever run into the movie again on cable or something. was surprised to see that his mom from the show survived, but again that didnā€™t go anywhere beyond her making an appearance at the event. She should have survived considering the veil though, right?

1 Like

Yeah that side plot couldā€™ve been done a ton better given less than a quarter of the audience even understood it at all, and even then it wasnā€™t clear if you got it

2 Likes

Nope

Iā€™m pretty sure that was his actress sister that survived.

2 Likes

Triangle of Sadness (2022)

This is a movie made for this forum. It literally has a guy yelling Marxist theory over the intercom at rich people on a cruise ship!

Amazing eat-the-rich satire.

Grade: A

1 Like

https://twitter.com/LawJSharma/status/1612140131057799168

3 Likes

A+++++++

last weekā€™s chapo is an extended discussion of Avatar 2

Ohhh I get it now. It was supposed to be funny! Well Iā€™ll be dipped.