Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I see Alex Garland has a new movie coming out this month. Looks way more horror than Ex Machina or Annhilation were, but I’m 100% in on that dude.

2 Likes

Is that Men? Saw a trailer before Everything Eveywhere. Looks pretty good

Watched the three most recent Mission Impossible movies this weekend and Fallout rules. Really fun movie with great action sequences, cast and sets. The scenery in the final quarter of the movie is beautiful.

3 Likes

Yes, will probably be the first horror movie I see on theatres in a long time.

MI franchise rules. Has no right to be anywhere near as good as they are.

I’m going to watch the first 3 soon, probably haven’t seen any of them in 10+ years i wonder if they’ll hold up at all.

I rewatched 1 2 and 4 recently. Love that series and the fact that the individual movies are so different from one another.

1 : has 20 great minutes (the opening Prague scene and the later related reveal) but overall I found it a bit boring, the action scenes feel very dated (I’ve seen it too many times probably). Also has some hilarious 90s internet scenes (Tom cruise looks for a villain named Max by typing “max.com” in the Usenet search bar).

2 has a bad rep but I found it a lot of fun. A bit too long but a lot of silly mask stuff, John woo’s trademark pigeons and motorcycles worked very well for me.

4 has some small flaws (story and villain), but the action scenes are expertly done (and it’s 95% of the movie), and the Simon Pegg/ Jeremy Renner comic relief is pretty fun. I think this is my favorite of the series.

3 I enjoyed at the time but have no motivation to rewatch (jj abbrams hype is long gone), still curious to know if it holds up.

Fallout is excellent.

Read this without context and was baffled that I had somehow missed a Fallout movie being released.

Amazon is filming a TV series right now.

1 Like

MI:1 has a great bit where Tom Cruise verbally describes a sequence of events but at the same time visualizes them playing out in a different way. I always thought that was interesting and I’ve never seen it done in any other movie.

2 Likes

Because if there was one thing Fallout was known for it was well-developed characters and a strong, overarching plot that kept you enthralled.

It definitely wasn’t something you ignored after an hour of gameplay for the countless sidequests that were far more interesting than it no sirree!

Fallout seems perfect for a TV series. Plenty of interesting side-quests that would make a great episode. I do agree it might be tough to tell a coherent overarching story based on the games, so think they should just ignore that part. No need to develop the main character beyond being a lone wanderer exploring the wasteland.

Here’s hoping the actors are more expressive than the characters were

Mission Impossible 1 still holds up and it’s a good watch, it definitely feels old but I dig the style and the plot. MI2 was pretty bad especially the first half of the movie, at least we got some John Woo action scenes in the second half but those weren’t enough to save it, A+ doves though. Funny how 1 and 2 were only 4 years apart but the gap feels much larger.

2 Likes

DePalma baby

2 Likes

LOL what is this?

I’m a fan of Weird Al but I’m pretty skeptical. Most biopics end up being pretty safe and predictable.

This is no biopic but rather a documentary

2 Likes

It’s based on a short skit parody mockumentary biopic and it looks similar to the other mockumentary Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story so I think they’re going to go that route

2 Likes

Petit Maman was a cute little movie. Had a spare hour and went to see it since it had good reviews.