Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Yes

For a movie that has big names and is getting marketing hype, The Northman looks like something I have zero desire to ever see.

1 Like

I’m like not hugely into a Viking epic, but I am hugely into seeing such a specific indie director that I have liked both his films get to play with a big budget.

I’m a bit of both. The trailers somehow make me not want to see it, but knowing the director does because his films really don’t fit into a narrative that’s really conducive to having a good trailer.

1 Like

What’s most appealing about all these depictions of Batman is that they know the ultimate limits to a story like this. The Batman obviously draws its inspiration from film noir, but also the tortured melodrama of romance comics and pulp novels, where no one leaves their house until it’s past midnight and raining. This is a Gotham City that feels more like a place out of time than an actual, inhabitable city, closer to the pastiche of retro architecture and high tech gadgets of Batman: The Animated Series than Christopher Nolan’s Gotham-As-Literally-Just-Chicago. At the end of the day, these are stories based on children’s fantasy, and The Batman is campy enough to fit that tone, from the moment that Bruce Wayne sits in the dark journaling to Nirvana until Selina Kyle pouts that she “has a thing about strays” while seductively drinking a glass of milk to Colin Farrell as the Penguin doing an Italian accent that feels like it might actually be racist to Italians. This is a space where a man dressed as a bat to fight crime briefly makes sense, and The Batman doesn’t have any pretensions of being anything more than a movie about Batman.

The movie did feel the most like Batman the Animated Series and the most noir-y. I was going to make a quip about how much rain does Gotham get, with every scene having torrential downpours the city should have flooded half way through the movie.

Free Guy was way more fun than I expected.

2 Likes

Yeah enjoyable movie considering the trailer was garbage and Reynolds has a ton of stinkers

1 Like

Free guy was basically live action Wreck It Ralph as a Ryan Reynolds vehicle. It was fine for what it was, but nothing great.

1 Like

I remember watching Pixels, recognizing it wasn’t really a good movie but still had a ton of fun considering it was at the danspartan demo. Not my age, gender, etc.

Me personally. Kind of like the 80s being the “Me, Al Franken decade”.

1 Like

Free Guy was surprisingly fantastic. Pixels has been universally panned, but I thought it was ok if you’re catching it on a streaming/cable service you’re already paying for. The biggest problem I had with it was that Peter Dinklage’s role was terrible. He’s one of the best actors in the world and his role was bad even by Adam Sandler comedy standards.

I mean, there were tons of problems with Pixels, but I can shake them off and just enjoy being mildly entertained.

1 Like

wtf it’s a 1UP not a free guy

People are weird.

Also Ryan Reynolds plays the same character in every movie.

lol yeah, pretty much. It’s a good trick if it’s your only one, though.

I did randomly catch a movie where he was different - he was a soldier or something that was buried alive in the Middle East, but had a phone and was trying to contact someone to find him. It was good, but pretty disturbing.

Bet he was dying to try some sarcastic one-liners while fighting for oxygen.

1 Like

singly down to earth role for him. You don’t get a whole lot of the “Look at this douchebag buried underground” feels that you would expect. Pretty good movie overall. The ending is especially good.

Everything Everywhere All at Once is worth a trip to the theater

2 Likes

Grading on the scale of children’s movies The Good Guys was good. There was a lot more anime influence than I would have thought.They somehow imagined the governor of California to be a young millennial fox with an eye brow piecing.

Any kids movie that has entertainment for the adults is a win. I still have nightmares of Pokémon 3.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/lilly_wachowski/status/1517903327631228929?t=XI6jTiWaFVJbypnTjwVBZg&s=19

1 Like

https://twitter.com/felipetmedinaa/status/1517985796355198976?t=fIvx8dxMIzCmKKG69H0TNA&s=19

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Iwillleavenow/status/1518056773072023552

Speaking of. This thread cracks me up.

1 Like