Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I first saw this video about a year ago, and I’ve probably watched it 20 times since. I’m not much of a music video watcher, so that’s saying something. It’s just perfect.

I may have to drag my wife to this tomorrow. Even though I just learned of its existence, I’m super psyched to see it.

Phoebe is like a year away from being a top line headliner at every festival, historic rise for someone who is actually cool and tells Ted Cruz to go fuck himself on Twitter.

PB so good

I tend to watch a lot of movies, from a lot of genres, to the point that I sometimes forget what I’ve seen or what I thought of it as the time. So I’m going to start posting ratings with a 2 or 3 line review in here of movies I watch. Hopefully you all like them, but definitely feel free to tell me to cut them if you don’t. Going to start with some recent movies I’ve seen and then add new movies as I watch or rewatch them. FYI, my personal ratings are not absolute but moreso how I would rate the movie within the specific genre.

Movie: Fresh (2022)
Genre: Horror/Thriller/Comedy
Tagline: The horrors of modern dating seen through one young woman’s defiant battle to survive her new boyfriend’s unusual appetites.
Rotten Tomatoes: 81 critic, 82 audience
meb rating: 7/10

Review: Solid performances by Daisy Edgar-Jones and Sebastian Stan lead the way here. Not a movie for the squeamish. Definitely a suspenseful and interesting watch as a first time viewing, but probably a zero for rewatchability.

3 Likes

The Batman: Year One will some day be held up as the perfect example of a movie no one asked for. And the screenplay lol how does battinson say lines like “I am vengeance” with a straight face? Though to be honest it could have been much, much worse.

It’s always been a truism of Batman that he is an absolutely absurd character and the quality of the Batman movie (or comic) is derived entirely from how well developed the villains are. And Batman has the best comic book rogues gallery.

This is not meant to discourage you from posting in this thread, but if you want an app to log the movies you watch, letterboxd is pretty great.

1 Like

Batman failing at basic Spanish is absolutely hilarious.

Not sure I’m ready for buff Natalie Portman, but Taika Waititi is awesome, directed a really good Thor 3, and this looks good, so I’m in:

3 Likes

Those lines were good because he would then get his ass beat, fail basic Spanish or fail to save the day! This movie makes Batman bad at being Batman and has him asking himself “am I just an unhinged idiot making everything worse?”

This movie has one of the unintentionally funny moments ever. Early on batman knocks at the door to secret mafia club, “the twins” bodyguards open it, he beats their brains in. Note that this is one of the cowliest batsuits i.e. you can carve a steak with pattinson’s jawline.

Fast forward a half hour, bruce wayne knocks on the door, twins open it, he says “do you know who I am?” and just all of my LOL that they weren’t like “well you’re bruce wayne, you have the exact jawline, build, and height as batman, so you must be both huh?” but no. :(

Ok but in the DC universe every single person was perplexed by Superman putting on glasses and now he’s definitely not Superman. Literally everyone has prosopagnosia.

Well, “do you remember the dude who knocked you out and gave you a concussion while wearing a disguise” is a bit tough.

It’s more so supposed to be because he’s a recluse and very few people know what he looks like.

I’m liking this movie but it is remarkable how bad he is at doing Batman stuff.

It def fit the meme (assume ponied but wtf)

1 Like

Every scene basically was at night but a lot of current movies use darkness to cover shitty CGI and this wasn’t one of them. Basically no CGI in the movie, everything was practical.

In fairness, they might be setting up a long story arc wherein the next movie Batman gets better at his job, invents a wing suit that actually works, and starts doing Duolingo.

1 Like

Honestly the most tilting thing about this movie is the very end. The joker?? Again?? THE FUCKING JOKER??

Dude definitely should have died one of the 10 times he got shot or where he ran into a bridge.

Yeah as much as I actually really like the film, gotta agree there. I know Batman and Robin ruined Mr Freeze and Poison Ivy for a long time, but now is the time to try to do one of them right (or another Batman villain) versus Joker again.