Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Sonic 2

5/10

Worse than the first one. The first one had some highlights of some scenes of Jim Carry maniac energy and a not off-putting story.

This needed to do two things, more Jim Carry and an OK story and their failed on both parts. It’s very bloated with every B and C story character getting extended scenes while Jim Carry is limited to mostly reaction shots, one liners, and standing in front of a green screen by himself.

Bannable post right here

watched Nightmare Alley last night, trying to make it through the oscar nominees. i don’t know why i chose it, i probably should have watched King Richard or Drive My Car, but wasn’t up for those for different reasons.

i dunno. i can see why it got nominated. it’s beautifully made, but it’s just a steinbeck-ian short story with a very tenuous moral, and some gore because i guess that’s what you think of about carnie’s in the 40s? meh. it’s fine, nothing more.

watched Belfast and this is easily the second best movie this year after CODA, and possibly the best movie driven by performances rather than story.

The Night House: indie horror thing on HBO that is very competently done most of the way through but has a badly fumbled ending that makes it not worth watching. There is an extremely impressive practical effect I’ve never seen done anywhere else that almost makes up for it.

Rewatched Mulholland Drive, which imo is one of the more approachable Lynch films and is extremely rewatchable since it’s full of little clues and hints that you might miss the first time around.

Also, Truck Turner is hands down the best blacksplotiation movie that I’ve ever seen. Yes I said it.

It took me like a week to watch the first hour of that movie

I’ve watched MD at least 3 times. No idea what’s going on. P

It’s a dream-like vision of young actresses getting worn out by Hollywood.

1 Like

Mulholland Drive keeps you distracted by mystery and overall weirdness for the first 4 viewings or so, then by the 5th one all that’s left is a simple and very sad story that will keep you depressed for a week. (That was 13 years ago for me…might be time for a 6th :slight_smile: ).

A movie I saw not long ago and would highly recommend is Paul Schrader’s First Reformed (2017). Ethan Hawke is a small town priest who gets made aware of the reality of climate change and slowly gets more and more radicalized. Deliberately subdued style of filmmaking (under-acting, mostly fixed cameras, slow-ish pace) that is very effective at setting the right tone. It was named “best movie of the 2010s” by Paul Schrader :grinning:. He might be right!

However I wouldn’t recommend his latest one (The card counter) which, despite the title, is about a poker player. This will make it a turn-off for most people here (but if hearing a so-called pro describe a one-outer in a short-stacked tournament as the most beautiful hand he’s ever witnessed seems like something you can get over, then maybe you’ll be able to appreciate the film for its other qualities… I couldn’t) .

2 Likes

How is there not more talk about Everything, Everywhere all at Once?

It’s one of my favourite films I have ever seen. Just genius. A+.

Go see this. You won’t regret it.

3 Likes

I might this weekend. It looks incredible

1 Like

More evidence for the jury.

Me, too. Wanted to see it when it came out, but of course the third movie I wanted to see in a theater during the pandemic was in limited release.

If all you told me was that it was directed by the guys who made the Turn Down for What video, I’d be sold.

2 Likes

Holy shit was it really?

1 Like

Just watched it again. Vagina shotgun to the face might be the best thing ever put to film

1 Like

https://twitter.com/richarderoeper/status/1515165291503931397?s=21

4 Likes

I’ll also say that I really enjoyed it. I think some of the praise is a little overheated but it is definitely super creative and full of surprises. I like that the multiversal premise kinda allows the actors to play many different roles in bite-sized pieces. And Goonies was one of my favorite movies growing up, so I loved watching my dude Data just crushing it.

1 Like

I agree. The inevitable counter reaction has already begun. It’s honesty not that interesting to decide if it’s “the best” or not. The whole concept is silly. What matters is it’s fun, highly enjoyable, really seems to genuinely impact people and seems perfectly of it’s time.

It’s the film version of

In the end, a film that makes me laugh out loud, cover my eyes , openly cry and smile start to end is more than I can ask for and something to celebrate. Let the Reddit nerds tear it down. I won’t be engaging in that sport. :grin:

1 Like

This weirdly led me down a rabbit hole to discovering that Phoebe Bridgers covered one of Bo Burnham’s songs from Inside.

3 Likes

Ok, just saw it. Amazing.

1 Like