Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Does “not attending awards ceremony” automatically mean “cannot win an award?”

Not sure but it has to be a pretty big detriment.

There’s still voting, isn’t there? Whether he’s banned or not, their desperate attempt to be punitive after the fact likely means that he will never actually win an award again. Unless he makes a movie about making movies about how sorry he is that he sullied the Literal Most Important Event In The World.

1 Like

it pains me to say will smith may not film a performance on the level of marlon brando’s godfather and george c scott’s patton in the next 10 years but if he does i’ll probably go out of my way to watch it. the last thing i saw him in was that action movie mnuchin produced, and if you took margot robbie out of it, or even put her in a different outfit, it’d be completely unwatchable.

I can’t remember off the top of my head ever seeing a Will Smith movie I actually liked. I’m sure there’s something. But he definitely made a lot of clunkers.

I read a piece about him that in the earlier part of his career he was very calculated about what roles he took. Very heavy on the big budget sci-fi/action kind of stuff since those movies generally did well at the box office even if they weren’t great (e.g. Men in Black).

The first Men in Black was very well received by audiences and critics. It’s 92% on Rotten Tomatoes and 71 on Metacritic. It’s the first (and only) thing I thought of as a good Will Smith movie.

Any chance Smith forms some kind of shadow Oscars?

Lmao if Jada pressures him into creating the Black Oscars

Some people like the pursuit of happiness. Parts of Ali are good. First half of Hancock is ok.

https://twitter.com/swxxtsanade/status/1512132170952884235?t=pK1BQpuJ91Q6TL7LhN1tAQ&s=19

If will makes a movie about how Jada is emotionally abusive toward him for years, leading to him losing it at the Oscars, I think he’d win an oscar

3 Likes

What surprised me about all of this is Jada herself. Many Black women with healthy hair still wear weaves and/or wigs.

If she was sensitive about her hair loss why wouldn’t she just wear a nice wig?

P.S. Even with her shaved head I think she looks amazing for 50.

2 Likes

Terrifying.

2 Likes

Best smith film is Six degrees of separation

1 Like

Actually don’t think I’ve seen too many Will Smith movies.

Men in Black > Enemy of the State > Independence Day > King Richard

I think it’s just those 4.

I thought it was fine for what it was. Probably not the best example. Maybe Independence Day would have been better.

I know we hate him now (and for good reason), but Will Smith has made plenty of good movies.

He also turned down the Neo role in The Matrix.

That’s weird because it really would have been right in the range of stuff he was looking to do to cash in for the max.

Although I could easily imagine him or anyone looking at the script and thinking it’s a bit too out there. Wachowskis did a great job with it.

It took longer for the internet to stumble on the idea that this is the woman’s fault than I thought it would.

2 Likes

He went from a shit rapper, to a shit tv star, to a shit mugging actor in mostly bad films. He’s always represented the pulse of mediocrity. He’s not really a threat to win another Oscar in the next decade.

3 Likes