Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

My Dad didn’t recognize me two days after his stroke. Couldn’t ready or write. Could do more than simple addition few few days. A week later he was pretty sharp. I agree what Bruce is having is not ever getting better. His dementia is maybe primarily language focused so aphasia is the right term for now.

From my little understanding, aphasia without underlying dementia is pretty horrible. They put Dad on anti anxiety/despression meds the first month or so. To be able to think something and not be able to communicate it. Yuck.

I’d look pretty confused as well if it seemed like everyone around me on set was speaking gibberish.

Yeah, sort of a real I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

1 Like

This happened to my other uncle a couple of times when he had mini-strokes. He had to go to a memory care home. But by the time I visited him he was basically himself.

He had made a bunch of friends on the home and was always wheeling and dealing to get them stuff they wanted. When I visited I couldn’t help but think of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. He even has a pretty similar personality to Jack Nicholson’s character.

He finally had the big stroke a few weeks ago and is no longer with us.

Another 2 uncles (one on each side) and both grandfathers also died of heart/attack stroke in their early 60s. A fourth uncle got Parkinson’s right at retirement age.

My Dad is the only close male relative to make it to 80 in one piece. Although my dad does have the advantage of not being an alcoholic like 3 of the uncles and one grandfather. The uncle in memory care was not, but he didn’t get a lot of exercise or eat very well.

The uncle who got diabetes then Parkinson’s was pretty active as a general contractor. His only sin was eating a lot of sweets. He’s the one that bothers me the most. He worked so hard his whole life, and then right at 64 or so he gets these conditions. He wasn’t fat, just normal pudgy. So unfair.

This is the main reason I plan to exit the full time workforce and start seeing the world now rather than later.

6 Likes

Well if you’ve got to pick one, I’d assume that’s the one single male relative whose longevity is most highly correlated with yours. So maybe don’t plan on dying in your 60s. But I still think you should quit full-time work and travel. I’d recommend that even if the suzzer family tree were full of 100-year-olds.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/parabasis/status/1510955052202176517

5 Likes

Is the vibrator a tie-in or is he just promoting his own brand?

Warning: do not watch The Bubble.

It’s a new judd apatow Netflix film and it’s just bad. Just an all around plodding, unfunny movie with a lame script. After an hour I was skipping ahead 90 secs at a time to see if it gets better. It just keeps getting worse.

It’s borderline so bad it’s interesting, but not quite.

You have been warned.

1 Like

Finally watched Margin Call. Very good film. Kinda reminiscent of Michael Clayton, perhaps even better written. 9/10

It’s crazy to compare it to something like The Bubble. One film made by a hungry up and comers with a vision and the other made because financing is readily available. Ironic.

Had this on my list to watch, so thanks for the warning.

I’m watching Superman II (1980) and omfg how did this script ever get greenlit??? I was never a DC comics guy but is this how it actually happened?

That was my favorite movie for at least a few years when I was a kid. I still can hate it when I rewatch because of the nostalgia factor, but it is objectively not great.

lol smoking indoors gotta love it

You’re missing a significant part of the movie’s history that helps explain what you saw. Richard Donner was originally supposed to direct both Superman I and Superman II (was shooting them concurrently) but was fired by the producers of the movie (a very ugly decades long split with public trashing that was responsible for the draconian way Warner Bros. handles legal notes to this day). A new director was brought in and they tried to cobble together some of what Donner had shot in addition to re-shooting most of the movie.

Back around 2005 (maybe sooner as I can’t remember how long the restoration took), Donner was invited to create his ‘version’ of Superman II using his existing footage. This restoration became known as The Donner Cut, was released inside a DVD collection in 2006, and is very much worth watching so you can see how different the two movies are. The theatrical version of Superman II is an absolute disaster and you’ll gain a lot of perspective on it by checking out The Donner Cut and the accompanying documentaries and the audio commentary on The Donner Cut that appear on that DVD if you’re interested.

10 Likes

The most essential thing about Superman as a character is that he’s a huge awkward dork, and the Christopher Reeves movies were great because they leaned into Reeve’s doofy charisma. Movie studios today don’t or can’t tell a wholesome story like that anymore because everything has to be edgy and grimdark now. The CW Supergirl show does a great job of making the character work.

1 Like

This showed up on my Twitter just after I posted that:

https://twitter.com/SalAbbinanti/status/1512441559375093766?s=20&t=9D18ZIN53feH5aSj9q5B1A

He already won best actor. What’s the big deal about going back ever again?

Reminds me of the story of The Doors on some old TV show, I forget the show, American bandstand or something, and they warned them before the performance, they told Morrison, don’t say, “she gets high” on TV. But he did it, and afterward the producers were chewing him out saying he’ll never be invited back to perform. He just said whatever, we already did.

It’s actually a pretty huge deal. There are already films coming out this year staring him that the studio wanted to position as Oscar contenders.