Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Damn. I understand the desire to try to let Willis keep working if you think it will make him happy, but, at a certain point you also have to consider the safety of the rest of the people on set…

"In January 2020, actress Lala Kent, a star of Bravo’s “Vanderpump Rules” reality show, was cast as the action hero’s daughter in “Hard Kill.” In one scene, Kent said, Willis’ character was scripted to step in and protect her from villains.

“I’m supposed to think my life is about to end, and then my dad steps in to save the day,” Kent said, describing how her back was to Willis in the scene. Willis was meant to deliver a line that served as Kent’s cue to duck before he fired the weapon at a bad guy. Instead, he shot the gun before delivering the line — and the actress was unable to duck."

“Because my back was to him, I wasn’t aware of what was happening behind me. But the first time, it was like, ‘No big deal, let’s reset,’” she said.

Kent said she asked director Matt Eskandari to remind Willis to say his line before firing the gun.

But on the second take, the same thing happened, Kent said. Eskandari did not respond to calls seeking comment, but a second crew member said he remembered Kent being shaken that day. A third crew member, who also was not authorized to comment publicly, said he recalled a situation in which Willis “did fire the gun on the wrong line.”

watched CODA. i understand why the movie won best picture, and certainly wanted to cry at multiple points in the film. but kinda flabbergasted at the fact that it’s nothing but a teen hs rom com with some whiplash sprinkled over the top, and it’s basically what we all collectively need at the moment.

CODA was an average to maybe slightly above average Best Picture winner. I think I’d rank the last 10 winners like this:

Elite tier:
Spotlight
Parasite

Very good tier:
Moonlight
12 Years a Slave
CODA

Meh tier:
Birdman
Nomadland
Argo

Crap tier:
Green Book

WOAT tier:
The Shape of Water

5 Likes

Whiplash was one of my favorite films of the last decade.

Hated that movie. Miles Teller has such a punchable face and an inability to emote. (IMO)

1 Like

one of your favorites of all time? you should watch more movies imho.

It clearly says “of the last decade?”

doh sorry, stupid of me. i’m just browsing https://m.imdb.com/list/ls003501243/ and i just don’t see how it cracks even top 10 of the decade for anyone

I enjoyed Whiplash. Don’t have it in my top 10 (or top 25) of the decade, but wouldn’t argue too hard with someone who did have it on that tier.

Probably more in the 15-25 range for me but I’d have to actually make a list.

1 Like

Not sure if you’re arguing it should be higher or lower.

PSA by fresh Prince to use your head not your hands.

Birdman would be my #1 of the last 10.

We had to turn it off after 10 minutes of being absolutely pummeled by jazz drums

Birdman definitely should at least be in the very good tier.

Coda was the best movie I saw this year.

1 Like

Fuck me Argo was only ten years ago?

maybe Get Out for me, over Birdman. i also really liked The Artist, and Gravity. oh yeah Parasite pretty mind blowing. i feel weird picking war movies, almost like should be separate category, but JoJo Rabbit over Dunkirk for me.

fuck, where do i rank Inside Out?

I’ll put up a personal 2012-2022 list, #1 of the 2010s was The Social Network for me, not sure otoh what I have with that gone.