Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I have Whiplash in the top 30 range give or take a few.

I just assume people who dislike it don’t really understand what happened at the end of the film.

Can one of you lawbros explain this whole “pressing charges” concept as it pertains to Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock.

Why does it matter if Rock “presses charges” or not? The whole thing is right there on video.
Why do they need Rock to do or say shit?

1 Like

I put up a top 10 list on facebook for my top 10 movies from 2010-2020. I will go find the list and I unapologetically have my #1 as my #1. Damn I actually felt the movie was made for me.

My top 10 movies of the decade

(well this is backwards because of discourse)

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

2. Gravity

3. Mad Max: Fury Road

4. Cabin in the Woods

5. Coco

6. O.J. Made in America

7. Inside Out

8. Inception

9. Life Itself

10. The Lego Movie

Yes I can’t believe I put The Lego Movie at #1 either. But every time I organized this list I kept moving it up until it ended it #1. Mom gave me the money for me to go take LJ out to the movies and we went to The Lego Movie. I heard it was better than you would think…but damn if I didn’t have a smile on my face from end to end. Taking LJ back to the house…

“So what did you think of The Lego Movie LJ”

“I liked it”

“So crazy enough…I enjoyed that movie more than LJ did. I absolutely loved it”

At the end of the day, The Lego Movie somehow put it into movie form what it felt like for me to play with Legos as a kid. Especially with something that happened towards the end which I absolutely loved.

Is Lego Movie an objectively great movie? Probably not…but it as at least a good film. But I’ll be damned if everytime I watch I still love it and it puts a smile on my face. I still swear I had an exact 80’s spaceman lego with a broken visor and worn out logo on his chest somewhere.

Life Itself

I nearly put this #1 as well. I also have a strong Ebert bias. I read him weekly for years while he was still doing reviews. This is just a wonderful documentary on Roger Ebert. It really tries to fully incapsulate his life. From his love to movies, to his relationship to Siskel, to his disease in his last year, and how he still wanted to use his voice.

Inside Out/Coco

Damn if Pixar can’t make me cry when they are on their game

OJ Made In America

I know it is long as hell. It was made as a 30/30 ESPN documentary to be shown over 5 weeks with 2 hour episodes each week (including commercials) (end result ends up being 7 hours 47 minutes). I know that is a lot of time. But even if you think you know the story, the documentary is an epic on race, sports, fame, and justice that still rings true today.

Almost surprised you don’t have a Jump street movie because you have 2 Miller/Lord films. One of the better comedies of the decade series of late, but 22 is superior imo.

I do have the 22 Jump Street Parent’s Weekend as maybe the funniest moment of the decade.

1 Like

That and the Macgruber getting the band/team together scene are my favorite two.

Coco and The Lego Movie have the odd distinction of being movies I thought were only marginally interesting but they seemed OK enough for a plane ride that then blew me away. Coco is, uh, not a great movie to watch when you’re a dad traveling for business with a baby girl at home. Right in the feels, and I was crying harder than at any movie since, like, childhood. Not a good place to be on a plane, but great movie.

The Lego Movie I watched in sync with MrsWookie on a flight, and we both were completely delighted. It’s a marvel that it worked, but it worked so well.

1 Like

Because if Rock doesn’t file a criminal complaint then no laws have been broken. It’s perfectly fine to hit somebody who doesn’t object.

I am not a lawyer but am pretty sure this is incorrect based on two data points.

First, domestic abuse is commonly charged without a complainant.

Second, there is a organized movement among the US BDSM community to change criminal statues around consensual violence as it is not legal to consent to being hit in most places in the US even if the consent is well documented. In fact, the very act of documenting the consent has been used against them in court as a “confession”.

It is a somewhat interesting question though. If I’m speeding on the highway, the cop can pull me over and issue the fine even if no one else complains about it.

Pretty wild that when Social Network came out the main criticism was it was too hard on Zuck.

1 Like

In retrospect the portrayal in that movie was far more human and sympathetic that the real thing. He was an asshole, sure, but we have all met and can on some basic level understand assholes. But there’s something even more unsettling about uncanny valley villains with their phony upbeat performative attempts at humanity. If he was just a bombastic asshole that would be less off putting.

1 Like

I don’t think this is right. Cops can arrest, and prosecutors can file charges, even if the victim doesn’t press charges, or can’t.

Many crimes are considered crimes against the state or against society. I’m not sure how much this varies from state to state.

To take an extreme example, if you kill someone, the state will obviously charge you with murder even if there is nobody left to object (let’s say the victim has no family).

I’m guessing the prosecutor could file charges against Will Smith if it wanted to. They would move ahead with the case using other witnesses and the video. It’s just that in the less serious cases, they don’t bother.

As far as what crimes the state can (or does) prosecute without the consent of the victim, I’m not sure. Murder, domestic abuse (like Clovis said), sexual abuse of a minor, probably some other stuff.

Assault is a criminal matter rather than a civil matter afaict. Surely the state can press charges regardless of what Chris Rock does.

This could help

1 Like

Where is a law bro when you need one? I’m pretty sure bolded is wrong.

Second sentence is less wrong, I think. For example if you are in some sort of S&M relationship and you consent to being hit before the fact, that’s fine.

On the other hand if there is no consent like that and the victim says it is fine after the fact (perhaps due to some pressure), that’s still a crime. Generally, such things are difficult to prove, which is why cooperation of the victim is sought. But normally you don’t have infinity witnesses plus the assault/battery and confession on tape.

Edit: Clearly my sarcasm detector is terrible. I will leave this as a reminder of my ineptitude.

What about when Drago killed Apollo Creed in the ring?

1 Like

Law bros won’t help, they’ll just breathlessly talk about how Mueller and Garland are surely closing in on Will Smith, just wait!

2 Likes

Thanks. At about 7:50 in he answers the question and it seems like more or less what I thought.