Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Heard a great rebuttal to this logic in Slate Culture Gabfest which boiled down to if speech can be violence then violence can be speech. This is obviously a cancerous idea in any culture.

Thereā€™s a very very large naval base in southern Indiana. I had a chance to work there a while back, but wasnā€™t feeling the whole southern Indiana vibe.

Couldnā€™t sleep last night and watched the 1995 dog food casserole Virtuosity starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. It was so bad that I couldnā€™t turn it off. Crowe plays a virtual reality amalgam of serial killer personas that enters the physical world through an android body (thatā€™s the short plot description). It seems like a straight juice blender ripoff of several popular sci-fi / action type flicks of that era glued into one, specifically T2, The Lawnmower Man (:+1::+1:), and Demolition Man. In fact, Iā€™m almost positive that this must have been the high concept pitch for the film.

The plot, script, acting, and special effects are all exceptionally awful, but the aspect that really stuck out to me is Croweā€™s performance: his character, especially the movement and mannerisms, is perhaps best described as a cross between Pee-Wee Herman and Robert Patrickā€™s T1000. Maybe a dash of Brad Wesley from Roadhouse in there too with the weird head cock and crazy eyes. Itā€™s truly bizarre and maybe the first time Iā€™ve been consciously aware of an uncanny valley sensation from unnatural human movement.

Iā€™m surprised there arenā€™t a lot of memes from this film. It really is that bad and has the material, but I couldnā€™t find what I wanted so ripped them myself. My favorite is this scene where he inexplicably walks backward onto a train which, in my opinion, sums up the entire movie quite well: ā€œWeirdo in a purple suit executes a 180-degree spin in stride to walk backward onto a train for no good reason.ā€

trainwalk_opt

And another from an arena pursuit scene where he performs a backward 3 & 1/2 somersault from the tuck position onto solid concrete to evade police, but not before doing a quick gesture to pump up the crowd. Why?

backflip_vsm

Variance: The costume sold for $1,830 at auction in 2018.

https://www.smithandsinger.com.au/lot/AU0822/5#

6 Likes

Iā€™ve always felt like if someone uses the word ā€œobviouslyā€ to underline a conclusion that hasnā€™t been at all supported by any argument, it just draws attention to the same.

I cited the source argument.

Do you think violence can ever be speech?

Great review. Iā€™ve binged a lot of bad sci fi on Comet TV and I havenā€™t seen this one.

Highy recommend checking out Demon Seed.

1 Like

Caught it on Pluto so you can probably see it on there for free this week.

1 Like

Proud to say I saw Virtuosity in the theater. Those were the high school glory days when my best friend and I would buy booklets of discount tickets and see basically anything. We even rented ā€œPhat Beach,ā€ which is as bad as you would expect.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Should also point out that Virtuosity is same director but different writer as The Lawnmower Man, which is maybe not that surprising given that TLM is also technically quite bad as a film production (obv I love the concept). However, in Bret Leonardā€™s defense, Iā€™m not sure any amount of directing talent could have polished this turd of a script. The thing that initially set TLM apart in 1992 was the concept and special fx, neither of which are novel today. To be honest, they were probably already dated by 1995. Afaict, Virtuosity really has no saving graces other than this zany, almost slapstick makeover of the T1000 archetype.

Wow. Thatā€™s sad. As the writer said, hopefully Willis will be remembered for all the great stuff he did, rather than the shit at the end of his career (and he probably will be).

Related, the Die Hard episode of The Movies That Made Us on Netflix is very good. One thing they talk about that I didnā€™t understand at the time, since I was young and didnā€™t watch Moonlighting, was that it was a big risk casting Willis as the lead in the film because he was known for comedy (and television in an age when there wasnā€™t much crossover). His face was even removed from the first newspaper ads.

I saw TLM in theaters but not Virtuosity but I see how they were directed by the same guy. Neither is good, both are weird.

When I saw TLM in the theater, it blew my mind. Thought it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. And then I relived it all over again when I realized that Lapidus in ā€œLostā€ WAS the Lawnmower Man.

The article portrayed it as really sad that he was blowing his legacy. But supposedly he wanted to be working. I donā€™t see it as that tragic or anything.

My uncle owns a CPA firm, went downhill in a similar fashion. His family finally had to have an intervention because he was driving the employees crazy constantly walking around asking them the same questions. He really went downhill fast after that though. His business was a big part of his life.

Man 67 is so young to basically be gone. Yet another data point in favor of my plan to enjoy myself and see the world now and let the chips fall where they may later.

4 Likes

As a fan of garbage movies, Iā€™ve avoided any of the many recent Willis movies just because of a concern that heā€™s been exploited. I think the bad movie podcasts out there have also stayed away from them as well.

1 Like

I think the bad thing about him continuing to work is that the movies heā€™s done the last couple years are just these pump-and-dump bullshit straight to Redbox films and it looks like heā€™s being exploited. Now, if he totally understood the deal and was fine with it all, then more power to him, make your money and enjoy your day on set. But if someone was taking advantage of his mental health, thatā€™s no good at all.

Right. But I thought I read somewhere (or maybe LFS told us) that he likes making the movies and it keeps him feeling like heā€™s doing something.

Yojimbo

10/10

I havenā€™t seen someone have this much swagger in a movie ever. The movieā€™s got a bit of everything, comedy, drama, some amazing shots. I had a nagging feeling I had heard the story before. I didnā€™t realize that it was the basis for A Fist Full of Dollars

4 Likes

Before I knew anything about this, I watched Breach, knowing it would be a B-movie but figuring with Willis it would at least be fun. It was not. He wasnā€™t noticeably terrible though. The movie was just clearly ultra-ultra-low budget. Like student film level.

Iā€™m inclined to think he wanted to keep making movies and they let him do it for as long as he could. Thatā€™s the far more common way things go with cognitive issues rather than somebody being forced to keep on doing something. He was a performer his entire life and he almost certainly wanted to keep performing. The tragedy is that he finally had to stop, not that he ā€œruined his legacyā€ or whatever dumb shit that article says. The guy who wrote that can fuck off imo.

1 Like