Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Brahms criminally underrated as always.

2 Likes

Personally, Beethoven > Bach > Brahms > Mozart. Love Mozart’s Requiem, but most of his stuff in major keys is just a little too saccharine for me.

I’ve changed my mind about the biggest WTF on that chart though. It’s motherfucking Grieg, who has ONE motherfucking song. It’s a good song, mind you, but it’s just fucking one, and the only holiday it can lay claim to is much more minor than how the Messiah can claim Christmas.

6 Likes

where are the russians on that list? tchaikovsky > shostakovich > prokofiev >> grieg

/troll

If you were wondering about the Darmstadt School of composers:
Karlheinz Stockhausen: 14.9K monthly listeners
Luigi Nono: 2.9K
Bruno Maderna: 1.7K

Hasn’t Mozart put out about 250 hours of music though, compared to Bach’s 175? So you can’t say Bach was more prolific.

I will listen to Mozart’s Requiem wherever I can find it. Recently listened to it on New Year’s Eve in Paris’ Madeleine Church, which was sublime. But on the whole, I prefer Bach.

Probably from me. I think I’ve streamed like 20 different versions of Clair De Lune a ton of times :slight_smile:

Also Chopin Nocturnes.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a question of volume. Bach had hundreds of cantatas alone.

Might also be a question of format. Whose going to listen to complete operas on Spotify?

Bach recycled a ton of his ideas, I think most of the baroque/classical guys reused stuff quite often.

Listen to these nerds.

1 Like

Yeah, I looked him up and it was 300K and change. I figured a ton had to be from his efforts as conductor and I wasn’t sure how to disaggregate.

i could listen to revolutionary etude on repeat to knock the germans down a peg

RIP to a legend.

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1489369370384125954?s=21

2 Likes

Just got back from Jackass Forever, it is definitely…a movie.

Wait, it is? Id imagine its much less a movie than not

Actually that’s not true. Hans Zimmer is #1 and John Williams like 6th.

I just want to say that Han Zimmer’s Dune score is fucking fire

1 Like

Zach Levy Kurt Warner biopic (american underdog): actually not bad! I skipped every non football scene i.e. him and his wife and probably lots of jebus? Solid 30 minutes, nothing new of course but AA school → 2 days at packers tryouts → grocery store stocker → arena football season → rams was pretty fun in the usual sports hero movie ways. Well directed. Liked the way it was spliced with real footage.

1 Like