Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I agree! But I feel like this never comes up in the conversation of good heist movies. Maybe I hang around the wrong people or listen to the wrong podcasts.

Top five favorite heist movies is something like Heat, The Killing, Heist, Pelham 1-2-3, Thief. Not in order.

The dialog in The Killing was written by Jim Thompson. If you’re not familiar, he wrote pulp crime fiction in the 40’s and 50’s that was shockingly raw and dark for the time period and only gained critical appreciation after his death decades later.

I’ve got to check out The Killing. I didn’t love Thief as much as other people seem to. I’d swap Oceans Eleven and/or Reservoir Dogs for that one. Oh wait, gotta throw Inside Man on there, too.

I have a weird fondness for The Great Train Robbery, but I think that’s more for the Crichton book than the movie.

i dunno, i’d rank American Hustle as a kind of heist movie above all of those.

Mentioned this one a while back, also highly recommend but its definitely dark. We do love everything Mads though.

1 Like

Heist is great.

That’s probably my favorite, even though I know objectively it is probably not the best of the lot.

I also haven’t seen the killing.

Is that the one with the gold disguised as boat railings?

Does The Sting count as a heist movie?

3 Likes

Have you seen Rififi? I probably wouldn’t put it on my overall list of favorite heist movies, but it does have a great heist scene.

This raises the question: is Die Hard a heist movie, or a movie that just happens to take place during a heist?

2 Likes

I think in a heist movie the protagonists are executing the heist, so no for Die Hard. If you retell it from Gruber’s perspective it certainly is.

Inside Man is the goat.

The combination of the the heist’s creativity and plausibility is unmatched.

1 Like

First shot: Gruber falls from the roof of the building when McClane undoes Holly’s watch, a look of terror in his eyes

Record Scratch Freeze Frame

VO: “Yeah, thats me. I bet you’ll never guess how I got myself into this mess.”

1 Like

Inside Man is v good.

Sure.

I’ll allow it, but it seems weird when the bad guys are doing the heist. Then again, Pelham 1-2-3 is clearly a heist movie.

Nah, but I’ve just put it on my watchlist.

1 Like

That would be an amazing remake. We learn the backstories of Gruber’s crew - and a kinder, gentler version.

Like Gruber doesn’t actually shoot Ellis. he just knocks him out and puts some blood on him then drags him in front of everyone to scare them. Same for the security guard. They just tie him up. Nakatomi is actually an evil monopolist who kills innocent women and children, so killing him is fine.

Then McClain is a total loose cannon who gets people killed when all Gruber wanted to do was make off with the money. Make the local cop an idiot, and one good FBI agent is actually the hero who tries to keep people from getting killed, or something. But of course it ends in tragedy for Gruber’s crew as all heist movies must.

1 Like

Those poor European tourists taken out by lone gunman John McClain, and he got away with it because he’s law enforcement.

3 Likes