Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

No, they would have made more money because they could have squeezed an extra showing in.
Longer movies don’t really technically cost more to produce though.

It vibrates. Once you download you can put your phone in airplane mode and you’ll know the vibrations are time to go.

talked to a university graduate today. he was kind of worried about getting that first job out of college. then i found out he never even heard of Office Space. :man_facepalming: im old

2 Likes

Tell him to pull himself up by his bootstraps and stop buying avocado toast all the time.

he’s gen z. not even a no-goodnik millennial

In that case tell him not to worry about it because he’ll be scrounging for grubs in a post climate crisis wasteland in 30 years. If he’s lucky.

1 Like

Saw the new Ghostbusters last night and really enjoyed it. It trades heavily on nostalgia, so you might not like it as much if you aren’t a big fan of the original. I saw the first one in a second run theater probably around 1985 and it made a big impression on me.

Is there anyone that is not a fan of the first one? I guess if you didn’t see it but by goser you’d think people would go back and watch it before going to see this one.

I think they’re called “zoomers”

GB afterlife is great fan service. Boba Fett is crass soulless fan service.

Really GBA is an homage to the original cast and director. I think BF is made by an algorithm.

Not gonna lie I almost flagged this post

2 Likes

You know what they say about opinions. Besides my post was just begging for such a response. So I hearted the Hutzpah.

I thought Afterlife was legit bad. The in-movie pacing felt really weird and off. I’m not sure how much time was supposed to have passed from beginning to end, but it didn’t seem like nearly enough for the plot to develop the way it did.

The fan service was fine up until the marshmallows, but that bit didn’t make any sense from the rest of the plot, it was unnecessary, unfunny, and went on too long. From that point on it wasn’t just retelling the exact same story, at times it was literally a shot-for-shot remake. 100% exact same set design, camera placement, everything.

And then the very end with ghost Egon, just ugh. No. That was so cringey.

1 Like

I might have mentioned this before, but The Killing is a criminally underrated film. Must-see if you like old-timey stuff, film noir, or heist movies.

2 Likes

I’d go with overlooked rather than underrated. Everybody who’s seen it knows it’s great. There just aren’t as many of us as there should be.

It’s also a reminder of how long Kubrick’s career was, and the fact that he crushed every genre he touched, despite not actually making very many movies.

This is an interesting film, more than the synopsis would suggest.

1 Like

It’s Kubrick but without any of his trademark Kubrick things. Just a straight noir heist movie with amazing dialogue and acting. I’m becoming a big fan of Sterling Hayden, Criterion has a ten-movie collection of his movies that I’ve been into.

A cool trivia fact is that the chess-playing wrestler was actually a chess-playing wrestler in real life and was active in a NY chess club. :

While I’m on the topic of Criterion Channel stuff, Kalewa was a soild 16-minute watch. I promise it’s not an art house bullshit short.

Speaking of heist movies, I rewatched Heist this weekend. Gene Hackman, Delroy Lindo, Ricky Jay, and Danny DeVito are all great, and Mamet’s script is fantastic. But I feel like no one else has ever seen this movie, and it seems to have been super hard to even find it on streaming until Netflix just put it on recently.

Mamet writes some of the best dialogue

“Don’t you want to hear my last words?”
“I just did.”

2 Likes

What the hell man, that movie owns. Stylish as fuck, Raymond Chandler-grade noir quips. “Motherfucker so cool the sheep count him.” Whole cast is amazing. Maybe one of my top five favorite heist movies.