Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

My wife wanted to watch a “family Christmas movie” last night, though it really just needed to be one of those descriptors. She suggested Love Actually and I shot it down - just didn’t think a 13-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl would be too interested to watch that with their parents.

We opted for…Trading Places (clearly the “Christmas” part of the equation, but other ideas ditched her wishes altogether). A couple things: a) more boobs than I remember - the party scene where Billy Valentine kicks everyone out had 100% left my brain, and b) not as funny as I remember.

I thought this was a great guess, and just ran upstairs to ask her. “Not even close. My guy is dorky looking. This guy is good looking.”

I appreciate this is frustrating (and I am frustrated - I have no idea who she’s talking about). I think a critical piece of information is that her cultural knowledge more or less hit a dead end when we had our first kid in 2006. So it’s very possible/likely that we’re talking about someone who was popular in the 1990s/early 2000s.

BUT ADRIAN GRENIER IS EXTREMELY GOOD LOOKING!!!

3 Likes

The Adrian Grenier picture was more for skin tone and “overall vibe”, like “what he might wear”. I’m so sorry, I don’t really know what to say.

1 Like

5 Likes

this was the worst part of the movie

1 Like

This is a fantastic guess (according to me). But he’s an older (20s?) more ethnic guy. Big eyebrows. Similar to Grant Heslov when he didn’t have facial hair and he’s younger. But more funny looking? I suspect he’s the kind of the guy that would be like the third or fourth cop or FBI agent in a movie.

I’m so confused.

Apparently goofier looking than Jason Mantzoukas, but a similar look.

It’s not that Trading Places wasn’t funny or good, just not as uproarious as my memory has told me.

Obviously ignore Portman.

I still think it’s great.

I suppose the blackface is problematic, but I mostly look the other way on that.

I don’t think I responded to this. “Yes that’s the right skin tone. But not him. You would never look at this guy and say he’s attractive.” She REALLY wants to emphasize that this is a dorky unattractive guy.

This guy is not skinny enough. You can tell by his face.

The origin of this conversation was talking about the new Spiderman movie and how she wasn’t sure if she had seen the Andrew Garfield movies. So I suspect that this mystery guy resembles Garfield in some way.

richard-ayoade-travel-man-1562336698

1 Like

coming to america holds up well fwiw

First guy is a good guess. Second guy is like you spun a random wheel of people and picked one. (sorry - that’s her words)

Update: she thinks his sidekick character was a stupid person.

Oh yes. And my kids did like that they now understood the tie-in to Trading Places.