Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Spider-Man No Way Home isn’t the fan service we want; it’s the fan service we need

1 Like

It’s so good.

I never watched either of The Amazing Spider-Man movies. Should I before catching No Way Home? Not sure I saw Spider Man 3, either.

My son and I saw Spider Man: Far from Home. We also saw Infinity War and Endgame. We have not seen Captain America: Civil War, and I don’t think we’ve seen Spider Man: Homecoming. Aside from those, what would you recommend we see before No Way Home?

The only thing I really remembered from the Amazing Spiderman movies was the first scene of the first one and the end of the second. They’re not great, but they get referenced a lot.

Spiderman 3 is less important. Sandman gets a few lines, but nothing else from that is important.

Seeing the original Spiderman and The Amazing Spiderman will definitely enhance the experience. It’s a spoiler to say this, but it’s worth it.

Oh jeez, like the Tobey Maguire movies? I saw those but can’t imagine I remember much, that was a zillion years ago. And I definitely did not see the Andrew Garfield movie (movies?). I feel like I’m preparing for a test!

I watched the one with BBQ Man in it, but I think I only made it halfway through.

In the trailers, the villains from all the previous Garfield/Tobey movies feature prominently. If you’ve seen the Tobey ones forever ago and were just seeing this yourself that would be fine, but if going with a kid I’d make sure they’ve seen them first.

For a kid I think this could be their favorite movie ever for a very, very long time.

Of movies of the last 10 years things like Fury Road, Inception, BR2049 were better movies but this had the best cinematic moments.

Estimates are that Spider-Man NWH will have over $250 million in domestic box office receipts this weekend. That’s the third largest opening weekend of all time.

People are really flocking to this. I was monitoring the AMC app all day yesterday trying to find a non-crowded showing, and I noticed that some of the bigger theaters added a bunch of showings as late as 3am.

I ended up going to a 9am showing sitting in the very back row of a strange-shaped theater and being relatively isolated.

ETA: just counted and there are 49 showings at the Times Square AMC alone today.

Everything is connected now. You have to watch 12+ things and subscribe to Disney plus to get the full experience.

I get that it seems daunting and gross, but this movie makes it worth it. The movie has a 99% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. People love this shit.

There is a Flash movie next year which is bringing back Michael Keatons Batman and other characters.

For most Marvel movies the fight scenes aren’t great. There is usually some dumb deus ex machine. The best parts are seeing random characters interact.

It definitely looks like they are going to start to integrate Disney+ stuff into the films. Guess I’ll have to subscribe.

Don’t forget about Netflix

Anyone else see Kajillionaire? I love Miranda July movies, I wish she’d make more.

Hearing good reviews for Spiderman No Way Home. I’m kind of disappointed it’s only in theatres because there is no way I’m going to go to a theatre anytime soon. Hopefully I don’t get spoiled before I’m able to stream it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I never saw a movie in a movie theater again*.

*a movie I want to see. I’ll probably take my daughter to see some horeshit kids movies eventually.

Last thing I saw in a cinema was Hero - so that was 2002. Awful places.

1 Like

There are much nicer theatre options than back then if you live in a bigger city. You should be able to go somewhere that you’ll never be within 6 ft of anyone, have a lazy boy style couch to yourself and be able to order a beer and a full menu of food.

Yeah, not all movie theatres are the same. I do really miss going to the documentary film theatre in my area, they will have things that don’t eventually make it onto popular streaming services. And the kind of crowd that goes to a documentary film theatre is not as obnoxious as the median super hero movie crowd. When I went to see the first Iron Man a guy in the row in front of my OD’d.

1 Like

Yeah, seeing The Lighthouse was with a different crowd than Spiderman No Way Home.