Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

No one’s surpassed Psycho or The Shining.

The Thing, Alien, Rosemary’s Baby, The Exorcist etc all honourable mentions.

1 Like

This is one I have watched and loved it. Great premise.

1 Like

Scare Me and Trick R Treat are my two yearly horror flicks right now

1 Like

In the Mouth of Madness (part of the Apocalypse Trilogy with The Thing and Prince of Darkness) is one of my favs that still holds up on rewatches imo.

1 Like

The Witch really holds up as a rewatch. If you want indie stuff there’s The Invitation, Hush, You’re Next. Depends on what kind of movie you want. If you liked Hereditary then Midsommar is an easy choice.

1 Like

Carrie, Phantasm, Confessions of a Serial Killer.

Requiem for a Dream if you want something non traditional.

1 Like

A good, understated movie. There is a US remake but I haven’t seen that one.

If you are looking for a change of pace: Not gory or that scary but Guillermo del Toro is a good director and creates a classic gothic horror atmosphere.

2 Likes

The wailing (2016 korean movie). A pretty crazy mix between horror and serial killer investigation, the plot is never clear but the general mood is great and there are several memorable scenes.

Original “Halloween” if you haven’t seen it.

1 Like

A cool thing in horror movies is when something in the background of the frame is slowly becoming relevant for the main action. If this happens often this forces you as viewer to pay attention and makes for a specific experience. It follows is pretty great as a film basically built around that. btw if someone has suggestions for other films that do this well I’d be happy to hear them.

This sounds like when I met my wife. Would explain everything since.

1 Like

Really nobody watched Chappelle’s special?

Thought this place was big on standup.

I watched it a few days ago.

Not his best work.

2 Likes

Exorcist 3 is pretty uneven, but it has one of the greatest jump scares of all time

Some recent movies that are good for scary October time watching if you missed them:

• Happy Death Day
  • Upgrade
  • Ready or Not

Triangle was a really good surprise!

Ive been waiting to check out Upgrade. Likely going to end up renting it

Sounds like the plot to the video game Man of Medan

1 Like

This is not a spooky Halloween-time movie, but The Desperate Hours is a fantastic bit of suspenseful film noir. Humphrey Bogart and his gang invade a comfortable suburban house and take the family hostage, tensions run as thick as can be. I’ve never seen Bogie in a bad guy role before? He was great as a menacing villain.

1 Like

I saw that in an art house movie theater when I was in grad school. It’s actually the first movie I went to with my then wife-to-be. The next movie we saw was Monster, with Charlize Theron. Neither of them are what I would call traditional date movies.

3 Likes

Won’t be shocked when you wind up filet’d by the Mrs.

My Dad tells the story of going to some book reading where they talked about wives killing husbands. As soon as they finished talking about arsenic poisoning some lady got up and announced she got the info she needed, so she was leaving.

I assume the story was a joke, but he presents it as real. 91 year old humor.