Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Here it is:

Looking for guidance here. I still havenā€™t ever seen The Irishman, even though I adore Goodfellas and mob movies in general. If I sit down and make the 3 1/2 hour investment, am I going to be more or less disappointed than I was by Many Saints of Newark?

Saw it the first time at a drive-in. Just a group of buddies. Suitably creeped out.

Another friend was holding hands with his date during Cat People. When the human arm flopped out of the dead cats chest she yanked and screamed. he got a shoulder injury that cost him a week or two from the baseball team.

1 Like

Would say your can expect to be less disappointed, but thatā€™s not to say that it was really good either. Didnā€™t find it memorable too.

Lol, its like the absolute worst movie to see with a group of friends. You spend the rest of the night trying to figure out which of you is the creature.

1 Like

And donā€™t forget his breakout performance as Rickā€™s partner, who found time to bone his wife during the zombie apocalypse, in The Walking Dead. He was also the other badass brother along side Batman in The Accountant.

I actually donā€™t mind him as an actor, but Johnny Boy was already known to us and this character didnā€™t stand up to the comparison (unlike Livia who was spot on imo).

1 Like

Less disappointed. That movie was far from great but it was fine.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just okay imo. Definitely way down Scorseseā€˜s list if youā€™re doing rankings and way way way too friggin long. They could have easily carved an hour out of that movie and youā€™d have never missed it. You will also hate how 70-something-year-old Deniro plays his 20-something-year-old younger self in parts and clearly looksā€¦70-something. I still cannot figure out why Scorcese made this and several other choices.

Jon Bernthal is great. Heā€™s slightly one-trick, but heā€™s really good at that trick.

Also, he really punched Jonah Hill in Wolf of Wall Street.

I havenā€™t seen the soprano movie but based on your description what you should watch is ā€œI think you should leaveā€ (more precisely the last part of s2e2) for a (very) funny take on a similar baby scene :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

(As others have said Irishman is good but not great especially for a Scorsese film. Pacino is bad but Pesci is great and we donā€™t see him often these days).

I guess not technically a movie but I just watched Dave Chappelleā€™s newest special, The Closer.

There were some funny moments but I was pretty disappointed. Guess he figured that the transphobic community will never forgive him so fuck them.

Honestly, I just dislike the idea of dedicating most of a comedy special to complaining that a small, vocal group of people think youā€™re kind of an asshole.

Lol

1 Like

Much less disappointed. Itā€™s actually a pretty good movie.

Hereditary, House of 1000 Corpses, The Triangle, and American Werwolf in London are in the queue for spooky season. Anyone have other horror recs?

Saw Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time. Hasnā€™t been released outside of Japan. So you can only download the fansubbed version via torrent sites.

Most Evangelion movies lead to me being confused or not fully satisfied. This one was right on the money. A bit long but a great ending to it all.

1 Like

You gotta narrow it down a bit, there are so many good spooky season movies.

1 Like

I thought Sinister was pretty good

Thought this one was pretty bad, tbh.

Itā€™s a black comedy not a horror film, but hey itā€™s set in the UK.

It Follows

2 Likes