Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Spooky season is in effect in the Tilted household.

The Descent - holy claustrophobia! The scene where she gets stuck in the “tunnel” had me freaking out for her. UK ending was better.

The Thing - this was a horror masterpiece for me. Can’t believe it took me 31 years to watch it. It had a great 1 liners, great action, a great puzzle for the audience, and I really enjoyed the ambiguous ending. Special shout-out to the incredible practical effects. The heart attack scene freaked me the hell out. The noose being clearly visible when Macreary checks in Blair was also eerie. Loved it!

6 Likes

Now watch Hereditary.

1 Like

ahaha yeah I also recently watched this for the first time, much better than I expected. Effects hold up so well, just a masterpiece of old-school practical effects.

Honestly, I didn’t care for this one but maybe that’s just me.

I don’t even particularly care for horror and thought it was incredible. Maybe more from a filmmaking standpoint. Super impressive debut film for a guy that age. Loved the cuts / dollhouse themes.

I didnt know there was a UK version. Sounds worth checking out.

An all time nail biter for me.

Is this the same one from a decade+ ago? My sister loves horror and I’m not a fan. She got me to watch this with her and I screamed a few times. She will never let me live it down.

As a big fan of the old-timey Universal Horror classics, I’m pretty stoked to see the lineup the Criterion Channel just dropped:

I guess they couldn’t quite afford the English version of Drac and the OG Frankenstein, but that’s okay. For my money Bride of Frankenstein is better than the original and is the best of the Universal movies, followed very closely by Creature From the Black Lagoon and The Mummy.

Invisible Man and Wolf Man probably the weakest of the bunch imo.

Black Cat and The Raven are solid choices if you want something not as well known. Watching Boris and Bela play off each other is pure old-timey movie magic, although it will quickly become apparent that Boris was a much, much better actor.

Dracula en español is only there so pretentious filmbros can bore you with trivia about how Universal made a concurrent Spanish-language version of Drac alongside the English-language version using the same sets.

I remember seeing this one in the theater. I arrived late so I had to sit in the front row and I also had a bad hangover. This was a rather memorable experience although not very pleasant lol, great movie.

1 Like

Honestly I’m kind of scared to watch this alone. I’ve heard it’s terrifying and had children. Horror movie children are things if nightmares.

Its basically exactly the same except for a different (better) ending. It isnt as though ita a complete remake, just a different ending edit.

Yeah thats the one. Its a great movie.

Never ever watch the second

1 Like

I just listened to The Ringer’s Big Picture podcast, where Sean Fennessey:

• spoke with Justin Sayles about Justin’s recent ranking of all Sopranos episodes
  • interviewed David Chase

They didn’t really get into MSoN because they wanted to keep it spoiler free. So it probably doesn’t belong in this thread. But I wanted to point out 2 things:

• Fennessey asserted that AJ is actually the best character in The Sopranos. Which, I can’t even.
  • David Chase seems like an absolutely terrible hang. This was one of the most pulling-teeth interviews I’ve ever heard.
1 Like

The David Chase interview that Mike Imperioli and Steve Shirrippa did on their podcast wasn’t much better. He really is that guy who just stared when Paulie said, “Commendatori!”

This thread pretty much mirror r/thesopranos fwiw. I’ve been waiting for a friend to finish binging the series to watch the movie but at this point I don’t even want to see it as I don’t want to sully the good name of the series in my mind. Also that guy who saw the pirated version apparently lied to me (either about seeing it or about it being good).

The Thing is one of my top five all time horror flicks. It kind of rips off Alien a bit (okay, more than a bit) but it’s so damn good you just don’t even mind.

2 Likes

To be fair, the original Thing came out in the 50s, so Alien kinda ripped off The Thing first.

2 Likes

[quote=“King_of_NY, post:3706, topic:125, full:true”]And thought the actor who played Johnny Boy was a terrible choice.
[/quote]

He’s Jon Bernthal and i say this every time I see him in anything. I don’t get him at all. I mean, I guess he’s ok as far as character actors go? But I legit do not understand how he keeps getting handed primo roles in major films and TV projects. He was one of Leo’s bros in Wolf of Wall Street; he pops up again as Lee Iacocca in Ford vs Ferrari; he was the lead in The Punisher (TV version, only managed two years on the air though). I just don’t get the appeal, he’s totally unmemorable (I had to look on IMDb for his name and am shocked to see all the stuff he’s done).

Good point

Nah, I was just being a semantics punk. Carepenter obviously drew super heavily from the claustrophobia and paranoia that Ridley Scott used masterfully in Alien

1 Like

The only “good” interview I’ve seen, ever, where David Chase didn’t come across as a Replicant, was when he sat down for a long interview with Peter Bogdonavich. Check that one out if you’re interested in such things, and if you can even find it. It may be on YouTube somewhere. I saw it because it was an extra on one of the DVDs on one of the Sopranos box sets so who even knows if it’s available anymore.

I signed up for a free trial of the Criterion Channel just so dlk9s jr could watch The Thing. He was not disappointed.

3 Likes