Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Ugh, really was hyped to see Green Knight in theaters, got myself some Junior Mints and everything, but now with delta running wild I don’t think that’s a smart option. Stupid thing for me to gripe about given all that’s going on in the world, but still.

1 Like

We should do a UP watch party for it when it becomes available on stream.

Planned early enough we could get a lot of peeps in on it.

Also junior mints are the GOAT movie snack.

1 month ahead and I can free up time to put some effort into movie nights. Dune definitely deserves some effort. I know it hits hbomax in October.

2 Likes

I will never be too old to sneak candy into movie theaters. That is the nuts.

2 Likes

I accept the prices as part of the experience and paying for the employees who work there.

They even keep the juniors in the freezer now.

Dropped my son off at the theater. He starts walking up to the box office carrying a Coke bottle in plain sight. Had to shout at him to put it in his armpit.

1 Like

Thoughts on another round? I enjoyed it

Also watched 12 years a slave, was also good

1 Like

My friends and I loved that when it was out and we were in grade school. I found it weird af that he’s tied into the MCU somehow.

Howard_the_Duck_(Marvel_Cinematic_Universe)

Lea Thompson in her underwear was sexually formative for many of us. :grin:

1 Like

New Van Damme movie on Netflix lol.

Woodstock 99 doc on HBO. Pretty insane. One of my friends told me to watch it and I was like, “why, did something happen there?” Turns out lots of things happened there! I had literally no idea, and I say this as someone who was 19 in 1999. It’s definitely worth a watch and it’s absolutely amazing to see the promoter’s verbal contortions in order to avoid taking responsibility for absolutely anything that went wrong.

Did you not watch MTV news at 19? It was like their lead headline for a month.

That’s the weird thing! I definitely watched MTV but just have no recollection of anything Woodstock-related. Even watching the documentary, I felt no sense of “oh yeah, now I remember that happening.” Like, I was aware Woodstock was a thing that existed, but that was about it.

Speaking of documentaries watched Hail Satan? last night, about the Satanic Temple. Pretty good segments about trolling 10 commandments-on-state-capitol-grounds idiots and the leader was an interesting guy. Would have been more interesting to have them dig more into whether or not people were actually taking it seriously.

1 Like

This is a great doc. I also highly recommend.

1 Like

Finally saw Tenet. I definitely see the criticisms.

On the plus side, the premise was very interesting. The movie was creative, bold, effects were cool, and just an overall excellent attempt at something a bit different in the time travel genre.

As many have said, though, it was really confusing. Now, time travel-related stuff is always going to be a little confusing, but I think Tenet made the mistake of poorly explaining things in the first act (or first act-ish). After the title splash, the protagonist just kept talking to different people, who told him to talk to other people. It was hard to figure out who was who, who was important, why they are important, etc.

Normally, you don’t want to just explicitly explain things to the audience, but the few times they did it in Tenet, it worked great. The movie definitely got better in the second half as I understood things better and they had cool action sequences, but yeah, it was confusing.

I think I’d enjoy it more if I watched it again, but I don’t really want to. I didn’t dislike the movie - as I said, lots to enjoy there - but I’m probably neutral at best. Great idea, needed better execution.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought it was very similar quality to Inception in terms of high concept silliness. Except that, as you said, the stakes and what they were trying to do was always confusing and obscure, and that’s a big loss.

For me the best thing was Kenneth Branagh as the ridiculously evil Russian bad guy. Everyone deserves to have as much fun as that at some point in their lives.

Branagh is particularly adept at having the time of his life when taking on a role. That dude loves his job!

It’s basically just a high concept James Bond film that takes itself as seriously as the new Bond films. It got not great reviews but if the last Craig Bond film was that good people would be super happy.

Hey, I’m interesting in watching the new Suicide Squad movie, as it looks like it could be a blast. Of the new generation of DC movies, though, I’ve only seen Superman (the one with Cavill, whatever it’s actually called). For those who have seen it, do I need to watch the rest to know what’s going on in Suicide Squad, or does it work as a standalone flick?