Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Yea I obviously had heard plenty of praise for it but thankfully hadnt really been spoiled much at all. I’m glad I at least didn’t know the bulk of the plot or any of the twists.

Yeah I was in before the bandwagon. Am a horror fan and enjoyed Peele’s work so when I saw he was making a horror film I figured I would give it a shot, not expecting much at all. Blew me away. Now I recognize it as a very good movie with a compelling narrative and social commentary but a rewatch doesnt hit me as great as my initial impression. I still enjoyed it but it wont have a spot on any yearly rewatch shelf or anything. Being surprised by its overall quality really bumped it up a few notches

I saw this in a racially mixed crowd in an Atlanta suburb. The crowd added even more to the experience (lots of cheering at the end).

1 Like

Wait wait wait…it just occurred to me that Sam Richardson is in The Tomorrow War AND The Night Scrooge Saved Christmas?

That doesn’t have the makings of a varisty trailer.

Ok, it’s fine, obviously can’t get better casting than his son, Olivia/Dickie casting looks legit, but the tone of the trailer seems kinda dumb, I hope the movie has the comedy and the cultural stuff that makes the show tick, not just overwrought gangster stuff. Looking forward to the fan service though.

Hard target

So it turns out that John Woo’s first US movie (1993, between hard-boiled and broken arrow) is a Van Damme film and no-one here told me ? :smile:

Anyway it’s not that great compared to other woo stuff but it’s still pretty good…van damme gives a bit of a twist to the usual gunfights (unloading guns in villains chests but still finishing them with a high kick) and the ridiculousness is taken to a pretty high point.

Plot is very thin but nevertheless with a sharp critique of America (rich guys hunting homeless ppl for fun to the complete indifference of everyone in the middle, there’s a weirdly heartbreaking scene where one of the hunted realizes this and just gives up on life).

2 Likes

Apologies, but I’d forgotten Hard Target was Woo (pretty sure I would have known once). Would have definitely lost in a pub quiz saying Broken Arrow was his first Eng effort. Time for a re-watch.

1 Like

In particular, van damme’s uncle from the louisiana bayou who fights bad guys on horseback with a bow (and showed up on my Twitter feed today)

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/1414055523062673408?s=19

1 Like

Watching this now haven’t seen it since my childhood, I like the idea of watching all these 90s action movies again

2 Likes

Tried to watch Hard Boiled and The Killers next but I couldn’t find them on any steaming service so I’m watching The Raid. Is there any way to watch the old John Woo movies digitally?

Little on the nose for me with the climate change allegory. Not too bad though, the action sequences were a little over the top. Not sure why they didn’t fuckin train their soldiers before sending them off, was that ever explained?

I thought it was a great movie to have in the background while working on some of my more mindless work tasks. Half paid attention this afternoon but I was pretty pleased with the CGI and also that it wasn’t like some alien/monster movies where they rarely, if ever, show the bad creatures. I literally didn’t even watch the last ten minutes because I got engrossed in some spreadsheet but I’m assuming the good guys won.

And your question is a really good one.

1 Like

Watch the tomorrow war. It passed the time.

Just got back from Black Widow. As always I enjoyed the “small” MCU movies much bigger than the “big” ones. But I will forget most of it within a few days. Maybe I’m too old.

1 Like

It’s not just training. I asked myself if that are really the best weapons available right now to combat an enemy like this?

1 Like

Right!?! It just felt like it was just trying to tack on to the clumsy climate change allegory (We’re not ready!), which, OK, but come on how on the nose do you want this to be?

Oh you’re sending the main character 20 years into the future to meet his own daughter? So, like, as on the nose as possible? Uhhhhh…

I honestly didnt think about climate change at all. I just lost all hope with the hominid called human and not just because of cc. Everyday I read so much shit happening all around the world its insane.

But, come on, the climate change allegory is obvious once you think of it, right? The aliens only thaw out because of the icecaps or whatever melting?

https://twitter.com/dgellis0907/status/1415032556119076868

6 Likes

Is Pig any good?

Criteron Channel just dropped 26 neo-noir films, so good. I’m watching Manhunter, which is sort of an odd bird: it’s an adaptation of one of the Hannbial Lekcter novels directed by Michael Mann that came out before Silence of the Lambs. Of course this film has been forgotten because Lambs blows it out of the water, but as a Michael Mann fan, I’m digging it.

1 Like