Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Yeah my subscription is on life support but I have resisted pulling the plug specifically because of stuff like, say, Bojack.

I like Keanu Reeves, but, cā€™mon man.

2 Likes

I am sure every single person on that list is an excellent actor, but I was grinning for much of the time I was reading it. Solid troll imo NYT.

1 Like

Melissa McCarthy too low

1 Like

I donā€™t think its a countdown to #1, its just a list of 25.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/quentin-tarantino-12-greatest-favourite-films-ever-scorsese-spielberg/amp/

Apocalypse Now ā€“ Francis Ford Coppola, 1979.
The Bad News Bears ā€“ Michael Ritchie, 1976.
Carrie ā€“ Brian de Palma, 1976.
Dazed and Confused ā€“ Richard Linklater, 1993.
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ā€“ Sergio Leone, 1966.
The Great Escape ā€“ John Sturges, 1963.
His Girl Friday ā€“ Howard Hawks, 1939.
Jaws ā€“ Steven Spielberg, 1975.
Pretty Maids All in a Row ā€“ Roger Vadim, 1971.
Rolling Thunder ā€“ John Flynn, 1977.
Sorcerer ā€“ William Friedkin, 1977.
Taxi Driver ā€“ Martin Scorsese, 1976.

1 Like

6 of ā€œthe 12 greatest films of all timeā€ were made between 1975 and 1977?

And 10 between 1963 and 1979?

1 Like

Nor a single film by a woman. But fine if seen as his favorite films and nothing more.

1 Like

Films made by women make up only a tiny proportion of the total number of international films, so I donā€™t see why that would be worth mentioning in a list of only 12 films.

The 70s are often referred to as the second golden age of Hollywood. Disappointed thereā€™s no Altman in that list though.

Also, no Hitchcock or Kubrick.

2 Likes

Its a fine list. QT does watch an insane amount of foreign films as well.

1 Like

Critiquing someone best film list is so odd. They are idiosyncratic by design. If QT didnā€™t have 80% films from the 70s Iā€™d be shocked.

Mine would be heavily early 90s.

1 Like

Honestly surprised Lady Snowblood isnā€™t on QTā€™s list. He got two moviesā€™ worth of material from that film!

2 Likes

Despite previously stating that Kinji Fukasakuā€™s super violent film Battle Royale was his favourite film released since he became a director in 1992, Tarantino has chosen not to include it in the list he compiled for the Sight & Sound poll a few years ago, instead, voting for a range of titles but all with one common themeā€” big payoffs

I donā€™t understand that paragraph, so I went to read it in context and I still donā€™t understand that paragraph.

That whole article reads like AI to me. The second half of every sentence fails to logically follow from the first half.

He wrote a list with a theme: The Greatest Movies of All Time (Great Payoff Edition)

But I donā€™t see the theme, and I donā€™t understand how not including Battle Royale relates to the assertion. That movie had an amazing payoff. The Great Escape, meanwhile, had a horrible one. Almost every character we care about gets executed! I donā€™t even remember how Dazed & Confused ended.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure it will make sense if you look at the rest of his lists

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Tarantino's_favorite_films

Maybe, idk. Anyway, sheā€™s one of like 10 on that list that Iā€™ve actually seen a movie theyā€™ve done in this century.

edit: actually 15. Although five of those actors I have no idea who they are but I guess theyā€™ve been in movies Iā€™ve seen.

I love Battle Royale but idk if Iā€™d say the payoff is what makes it great.