Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Planning to go this week.

Dune was a fun-ass movie. (Never read the books)

4 Likes

Watched Dune yesterday and really liked it, also not a book reader. I’d heard that non book readers might have trouble following along but I didn’t feel that way, I think I understood most of what was going on.

4 Likes

There are a bunch of movies that either just hit streaming or are about to hit streaming that will probably be Oscar nominated.

I wish @RiskyFlush was still around. I liked our watch parties of Oscar nominated films.

Does anyone know Risky outside the forum?

3 Likes

Just watched it a few days ago as well and liked it and didn’t have an issue with figuring out the plot either, have not read the book.

I’d still do it

sad this thread died out Movie Night Watch Party Megathread - #4245 by clovis8

Also as a side note, kind of funny how Thanksgiving movies really never became a thing. The list of great Thanksgiving movies is

1. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
  2. ??
1 Like
  1. Thanskilling

Scent of a woman and Alice’s Restaurant

Just saw Ghostbusters afterlife. Tons of fun and nostalgia.

Pretty sentimental for me as MIL gave my two oldest boys proton packs when they were 4 and 5. She bought their 1.5 year old brother a baby toy.

He cried and cried and cried until grandma went and swapped his toy out for a proton pack, it was almost as big as he was. One of my favorite memories of him.

5 Likes

Another “Pig” with Nic Cage recommendation, I just watched on a plane and enjoyed it.

Watched Free Guy after Thanksgiving dinner. It’s a hell of a lot of fun, especially if you are a gamer. Some jokes and things will be over your head if you’re not, but my wife loved it without being a gamer herself (though she’s married to one and is the mom of two, so she did understand a lot of the inside-gaming references). Our host, who knows nothing about video games, enjoyed it, too, even though she didn’t understand what an NPC was (key to the entire movie) until about a third of the way through.

Felt like Matrix, Groundhog Day, and Truman Show had a baby.

lol’d at the tea bag. Did you explain that? lol

1 Like

Watched King Richard, where Will Smith is portraying the father of Venus and Serena Williams. It’s getting a fair amount of Oscar talk, and I’m just not understanding why. I’m not seeing some outstanding performance from Smith (I actually thought the supporting cast did a better job), the drama is often flat and they repeatedly remind the viewer how their story ends.

Watched Ghostbuster for first time since I was a kid. Held up ok. Not as funny as I remember.

One thing that shocked me is how sexual it is. Literally blowjob jokes and at one point weaver literally says “I want you inside me”.

This was a kids movie on rotation in every 10 year olds house when I grew up lol!

2 Likes

Ghostbusters afterlife is the first movie done again. Not bad. Not great.

8-Bit Christmas

A new “Christmas movie” on HBO Max. Neil Patrick Harris is a dad who tells his daughter the story of his efforts to get an NES in 1988. Nothing new here, just a nice, family comedy (a few swear words) in the old “kid really wants a specific toy for Christmas” tradition. It’s not fall off the couch funny or anything, but I did laugh out loud several times. They do the 1980’s kid nostalgia really well. It’s very accurate. It’s not the cheap jazzercise-neon-shoulder pads jokes that you usually see.

Not as funny as I thought it would be, but it’s a solid family Christmas flick, particularly if you were an 80’s kid.

1 Like

In a similar “Harmless Christmas movie that isnt great” but more adult, is Love Hard, just released on Netflix. Woman gets catfished on a dating site and finds out when she decides to surprise him by flying to him on Christmas. Hillarity* insues. Jimmy O Yang from Silicon Valley gets his first major lead role and does pretty well with it.

*YMMV, IANAL

We as a society don’t talk enough about how great Chunking Express is.

3 Likes

It’s on my all time top 5 list.

Chungking Express is my generation’s Casablanca, it’s actually better than original Casablanca and no one is talking about it much.

1 Like