Movie Night Watch Party Megathread

Amazing deleted scene

https://twitter.com/BoratSagdiyev/status/1319663161071431691?s=20

6 Likes

Why did they cut this?! It’s gold.

3 Likes

Or the Jewish women, or the cell phone salesman, or the fax guy …

Yeah, I’ve wondered this as well.

Most of this stuff is obviously some sort of troll. But if one has trouble figuring it out, the cameras should be a dead giveaway. There is almost no cover that can explain it.

1 Like

Another thing I’m curious about is when Borat is singing his song on stage, they pan the camera around and some people have their faces blurred out. How come some of the people do and some don’t?

They set it up, like in the first one, as being part of some low budget documentary or the like on some random subject.

The southern dance article touches on how they did that. I suspect in a lot of cases they frame it as a documentary for a small country that will never see the light of day in the US thus loosening inhibitions slightly.

Kind of sad that Jewish lady’s family is suing, I thought she came across fairly well. But you could tell she was very game to play along with whatever pretense they set up.

1 Like

I am guessing they just shoot a ton of scenarios then edit the actual story together. I suspect this just didn’t fit.

1 Like

Can someone explain the Rudy thing to me like I’m five years old?

Even the worst interpretation of it doesn’t seem horrible. The journalist didn’t seem like she was presented as teenager and she seemed DTF (and may have been moreso in footage that was cut). There wasn’t anything apparently non-consensual. He’s not married.

Did I miss something?

EDIT: So, digging a little more, it seems that Rudy was told at some point that the journalist was 15. I don’t recall seeing that. Where was it?

https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/status/1321230276878430214

3 Likes

“This was not scripted for Jeanise,” Scobey wrote on the crowdfunding page. “It all came from the heart. She is one of the most authentic people I’ve ever met. One good thing that has come from this is that Jeanise doesn’t have to worry about ‘Tutar’ anymore. She has worried about this young lady for a year.”

She said she only learned that it was all a ruse when her cousin showed her the trailer for the Amazon Prime movie last week.

“I was just kind of shocked and that it was that kind of movie,” Jones said, adding that she wished producers came clean earlier.

Jones’ pastor, Derrick Scobey, said the production approached Ebenezer Baptist Church about needing a “sassy” black grandmother in her 70s to participate in a documentary and landed on Jones after speaking to a few other congregants.

“I would love to see him, if nothing else, on a Zoom call in a very lighthearted manner, ‘We’re sorry we pulled one over on you,’ ” Scobey said — adding that a check would be nice, too, since Jones was laid off from her job as an insurance claims auditor.

In the meantime, the pastor has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for Jones, whom he calls the “moral compass” of the film.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jeanise-jones-borat-movie?utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1YXTysp6OnDWhbbUcHElc_cAJWDf7fugeBlNFZihgIrnU2oSACY04xAs0

Currently at $40k!!!

4 Likes

Damn, that’s fucked up. How the hell does SBC not at least offer her an apology?

3 Likes

The story is picking up coverage, so she may get the Zoom call and a donation yet.

This A rated poll has Biden +18

1 Like

She is an older black woman that comes across sympathetically in an international hit. She is going to make 250k+ within days. I’m guessing multiple daytime talk show appearances. Liberal guilt is at an all time high.

1 Like

Who cares about the money, Sasha should at least give her a call or something.

I guarantee that she’s going to fully appreciate the money. Seriously this movie is probably the best thing that will ever happen to her. And SBC will probably apologize to her personally.

Well he hasn’t so far. Looks like he just used her as a “sassy black woman” prop, put her in a stressful situation, and then peaced out without any kind of explanation. Total asshole behavior.

Is it guilt though? When we watched the movie pretty much everyone of us was just very impressed with how she conducted herself and dealt with the situation.

I think admiration is part of it.

I

1 Like

She seems like a lovely lady and no white woman is getting a payday like this without a sob story attached.

New York Post quotes may have been taken out of context:

She said that she spent weeks worried about Tutar and is now relieved that she was not really in danger. “I would give her a hug. I’m glad to know she’s not really in that situation. I hate to hear of anyone in that situation,” Jones told Variety. “Him, I don’t know. It wasn’t real, so I would shake his hand and say, ‘You got me.'”

Though The New York Post quoted Jones as feeling “betrayed” by Baron Cohen and the filmmakers, she clarified to Variety that she felt safe while filming her scenes and blames herself for not fully reading the contract she was asked to sign.

Representatives for Amazon and Baron Cohen did not immediately reply for a request for comment.

1 Like

The New York Post getting a story wrong? Doesn’t happen every day.