Movie Night Watch Party Megathread

It happens every hour.

It happens every day, too. But it also happens every hour.

I truly despise duping someone into caring for another person for entertainment value. No way I could watch that.

I enjoyed the movie, but thought she was an actor. That’s a truly douche move by SBC, but I’ve always believed he was a douche. Doesn’t limit my enjoyment of this or the other borat movie though.

I thought there was something off with his voice in this one. It didn’t sound like borat.

Most of the movie is hilarious because he’s pranking guys like Rudy Giuliani and various MAGA chuds, but there are one or two scenes where he’s pranking people who seem rather nice and I don’t know why that’s supposed to be funny. Just feels like he’s punching down for no reason.

What’s the douche move exactly?! Say it in a way where “it was a harmless joke” doesn’t excuse it or the inevitable hundreds of thousands of dollars don’t assuage her pain sufficiently. Altho Trolly thinks “who cares about the money” lolol.

I read this post 5 times and I have no idea what it’s trying to say.

Articulate the actual harm his supposed douchery has afflicted upon her and then clarify whether her international notoriety as a sweetheart and new Caddy are sufficient compensation. Do you legitimately believe it’ll be significantly helped by an insincere apology from a dude that dresses in man-kinis for a living?

The actual harm was her worrying about Tutar for weeks without knowing she wasn’t real.

2 Likes

The most pure thing we can do as adult humans is show empathy for a stranger. I hate to see anyone’s trust betrayed like that. I haven’t watched the clip though so I have no idea how bad it is.

2 Likes

It made for a couple really heartwarming scenes, but I assumed SBC or the producers or someone made it abundantly clear as soon as they could that this was for a movie (the actual movie, not a documentary) and that Jones had nothing to worry about.

1 Like

I mean obviously they were tricking Jones but she wasn’t the butt of the joke. The scenes she was in were of her giving encouragement to Tutar and telling her not to listen to idiot men and to love herself for who she is.

1 Like

Maybe a sincere apology would help? F this transactional mentality that you can dick with people and ship them a check and it’s okay. That’s no way to treat people.

1 Like

In theory I agree with you in reality this is nowhere near my personal threshold of fuckery that I would tolerate for a laugh let alone the many dollars and infinite public adoration their editing got her.

I also wouldn’t fall for this or sign a contract I didn’t read so it’s err, sort of moot. Yes vulnerable old ladies should be protected from insidious hollywood elites but this was hardly a hit job.

GoFundMe for Jeanise Jones nearing 100k.

1 Like

It feels like this having happened is relevant to this conversation. SBC is a dbag… and he’s more than capable of making himself look bad for a laugh. I’ll be zero % surprised when this whole controversy is just him having a good time. The footage from the movie is too pat for the needs of the storyline. My bullshit meter is going wild. I still liked the movie. Sometimes to make an omelette… I don’t think someone who wasn’t an at least slightly shitty person could do what SBC has done in his career. And good for him figuring out a productive way to use his worst traits as a human being, whatever they may be. Very functional.

Which begs the question, who actually is the butt of the joke here? Fundamentally this is a “takedown” of the fictional Borat character? SBC is brilliant when he’s punching up and pointing out problems with American culture and tricking people into revealing their true colors, but this whole sequence was just pointless filler that did some emotional damage to an unemployed 70-something woman.

I guess I meant that Jones isn’t being mocked because there isn’t really a joke here. It was like the opposite of a typical Borat scene in that it revealed the true colors of a kind and decent person. It didn’t feel like pointless filler to me, but I don’t really know what else to say about that.

1 Like

It was funny.

Can’t wait for this hand-wringing to turn to Mortal Kombat fatalities.

With stuff like Borat, Nathan for you etc not every scene is comedic. That’s usually the goal, but its unscripted. You get what you get.

1 Like