Moderation

Is it bad that I didn’t even know that was the system of governance we had lol.

As far as I know, no mods have responded to any complaints in the thread.

ETA-I guess Risky did but it went over my head that he is a mod.

2 Likes

Really? Tell me more. Tell me the context.

Cuse stacks another one up:

zara, will, nono and I’m sure others too

What they say about me is now fact, all based on lies. GJGE community.

Jeez I take one phone call and I’m 55 posts behind.

I think covid is pretty hot button personally - I know the events in this country around the pandemic have me constantly angry/upset in many ways, but as far as the discussion at hand mainly I think most of us can give and take without hard feelings on just about any topic. I can think your covid takes are bad while still thinking you’re a great person and an intelligent poster. Hopefully that comes across and you are’t personally offended by our discussions on that stuff. I also feel like I can dunk on you without hurting your feelings or anything, hopefully I’m right about that. And vice versa. Like I dunked on you the other day, and you dunked back with the stock market comment, and for a split second I was hurt, then I thought “Ehh, I did just tell him he’s been wrong for like 3 months and dunk on him, so that’s a fair response and I don’t think he meant anything by it.” Then I chuckled about it, smiled, and carried on with a joke about you selling so that my position would pay off since you’re like the GOAT black swan event market timer around here.

I feel like this type of dynamic applies to almost anyone here with one huge exception. Most of us can have a heated argument with most people here and still like each other enough at the end. Even in the exceptions, we can mostly carry on and be civil with that person in the future and let it go over time.

Like I had some pretty heated and insult-laden back and forths with jmakin. I know he said some things that really pissed me off, I’m sure I did the same. We were cold to each other for a while or ignored each other, but I don’t have any hard feelings about it anymore, and I’m pretty sure we’ve had friendly back and forths lately about various things, although I could be wrong.

With nunnehi, this just never seems to be the case - and I’m far from the only one who feels that way.

Yeah I never really thought of it as being frustrating for people I’m debating, I thought of it maybe being skipped over by people reading. I tend to catch up on 100-300 posts at a time and firing off responses to a bunch of stuff at once, so I multi-quote instead of using 5 replies in a row. Within a one-on-one debate, I think of it as a conversation and I like to go point by point instead of answering a long paragraph with a long paragraph. I’ve always felt like that’s the best way to debate politics.

But I never thought of it from the angle of it being daunting to debate against. :thinking:

It’s based on your actual posts that have been repeatedly cited in this thread.

Is it literally ok to do this thing where you lie about everything in an effort to avoid any responsibility? I wouldn’t expect it to be here but it sure seems to be.

Personal attacks are fine.
Lying/gaslighting about reality even when easily disproven is fine.

Complaining about nunn’s dishonest and abusive posting is a big no-no and those posters need to stop bullying him!

1 Like

One mod’s weighing in, but he has me on ignore while saying absolutely horrible things about me so that probably doesn’t count.

Again this is a valid criticism of this particular mod’s behaviour imo.

Mods should forego the right to put people on ignore when they accept the role. It’s super cowardly.

2 Likes

Umm, I read your posts. You go off the rails when your opinions are criticized. You straight up call regs monsters for thinking your views are bad. You call any critique of your posting history lies and when receipts are posted you claim you are ignoring the posters who dig them up.

8 Likes

RiskyFlush is a “mod” because only mods can make announcements, I don’t think they do any actual moderating.

1 Like

Sure, but if posts are going to be flagged to mods then there is the crucial assumption that mods will be able to read all the relevant posts.

Putting them on ignore automates that process.

1 Like

Unless they are nunn. Then not so much.

It’s a forum-wide problem and there’s no clear solution.

If you think that’s bad wait til you want to put a mod on ignore.

You just called a bunch of people monsters for disagreeing with you. Post flagged.

2 Likes

Geez I was ~50 posts behind, now I’m 70+ behind.

I have no problem not responding to him for a few days or even a week and making that evaluation. I don’t put regs on ignore, but that’s neither here nor there and is probably a personal weakness.

That said, I do think letting someone ignore everyone (or almost everyone) who challenges them, making those people look bad if they keep challenging them, and thus creating an environment where their main detractors cannot challenge them and they get to put their ideas out there with little/no pushback is the exact opposite of what a political discussion forum should be. But yeah, I’m willing to give it a week and see what happens.

This sums it up. The only way this doesn’t happen again is if we have literally run out of people who are inclined to push back on his posts. Eventually someone will and it’ll happen again.

Perhaps “I Chase Every Car” should be my undertitle lol…

This is another frequent behavior. If someone criticizes him, he’ll often ask them to take it to PM, where he will usually do the Internet forum equivalent of drowning you in paperwork by hitting the character limit in 2-3 consecutive PMs before you’ve managed to respond to any of them.

Me too! I mean if you go back to early August or whatever it was in the Bailout/Stimulus thread, we engaged him in good faith for HUNDREDS of posts. It was fine, we disagreed and his style of debating is annoying and frustrating and leads to derails, but it didn’t get to insults until he mischaracterized everyone’s position as being like evil or gross or whatever. Then, as you would expect, we took major umbrage and things escalated. You call people gross monsters who are rooting for death and suffering, they’re going to react a certain way.

I did this too. After he left the first time, I actually PM’d him and let him know I had no hard feelings, thought he was a good dude, would buy him a beer, we just vehemently disagreed. I’ve said things like this to him numerous times publicly and privately.

And then this was my experience as well.

Yeah frankly this terrifies me in the context of our upcoming election. I see this as sort of a small (and relatively unimportant in the grand scheme obviously) microcosm of American society/politics. If most people aren’t going to do their homework on something and mostly just want it to go away so they can be left alone, it’s very easy for stuff to get both sidesed like this.

The double standard is this. We attack nunn’s arguments, nunn attacks our character, we attack his intelligence based on his arguments.

The result of this is us being told to knock it off because everyone knows nunn can’t or won’t knock it off on his end. We have to be responsible for the resolution because he can’t or won’t. That’s a double standard - his attacks (which are almost always worse) get to slide, ours have to stop.

I’ll admit I’ve said some mean things to him, and I’ve made probably 3-5 posts to him over 1.5 years that I feel bad about and wouldn’t say right now because I’m not angry (but probably would again if pushed to that extreme again)… But he says stuff on that level over and over again to numerous people.

The accountability seems to run one way, the expectation for modifying behavior seems to run one way. People can say “both of you are wrong,” but the expectation is that if we knock it off, it’ll all be okay. If he’s left totally alone, it’ll all be okay. Like we have to make the entirety of Unstuck Politics a safe space for nunnehi so that it’ll all be okay. We have to not challenge his posts, thus he won’t have to attack anybody. That’s a double standard.

This is a political discussion forum, if one cannot argue politics and have their views and opinions challenged without reacting like nunnehi, that’s a problem.

You’ve been doing a great job ignoring all of the @'s you’ve been subjected to. I appreciate it and hope it continues. The last time I checked in on the vote totals it was 62/38 for No, so it seems that you won’t be contained, yet you still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory because RF has you on terminal ignore. Your detractors itt are making themselves look like a bunch of Karens. Stop responding to every slight and let them hang themselves.

You’ll have a great time going back up through this thread now.

Advice I will take. Thank you.

1 Like

Nope. Clean slate from when the mods basically promised to ban you for personal attacks if we reported it enough. That’s how I interpreted it anyway. I doubt it’ll take a week for you to be reported into at least a temp ban.

I also just told you to your face exactly what I’m going to do before I do it. That’s the level of ‘I want to do the right thing here’ I’m willing to deal with to get this right. You won’t be able to claim it was a surprise.

There are tons of great reasons to ban you, which I’ve gone into at length ITT, but if the one they want to use is that you’re abusive (and oh boy are you) we’ll give them what they want won’t we?

1 Like

He said he would put you on ignore and I want both of you to ignore each other. There is no double standard.

Agreed. I even took people who told me to fuck off and called me terrible names off ignore when I agreed to be a mod.

I haven’t weighed in because I am very sensitive of the idea that mods should show no favoritism. I think that plays out in reality here as letting a lot of things slide that would never fly in a more heavily-modded forum.

I haven’t had time personally to go re-read every cuse/nun interaction, but I will agree that flagging the more egregious personal attacks by either of them would be a better first step for a lot of you than 500 posts about it in this thread.

I have seen more flags of cuse’s posts that @ nun than I have of nun’s posts, if you want an anecdotal metric.

I will only get annoyed by flags if people are flagging posts they disagree with, rather than posts they think actually break personal attack rules.

10 Likes